Options

First concrete thought.

kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Maybe get closer - pull in on the rebar and shadows. As is, the red dirt dominates. There is some nice patterning with the rebar and shadows. Can you get in physically closer so you can work the angles - maybe get closer to the ground?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    I think I'll visit this location after the workers leave for the day. I was getting odd looks today and could not walk in too close. It looks like they will be pouring more walls soon. Something interesting may develop. Thanks.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    That construction site is just not going to work. I may keep driving by, but it is in an exclusive neighborhood ..... I am going to enter my:

"Stone Puppies"
    Digital Grin Sharp Shooter Challenge # 71 Concrete

I already entered this... however I am still open to feed back. I used a Tamron 60mm f/2 giving me a shallow dof with a nice background IMO.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Like the stone puppies - good dof. The bottom looks like it might be tilted just a smidge to the left. Also wonder what it would look like with either less shadows on the left, or with the statue facing the light a little more?
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    I think the stone puppies is a great subject, I'm not sure about the blue light from the left, maybe put a white sheet or something over whatever the blue is that's reflecting onto the statue?
    edited March 1, 2011
    I might attempt a re-do of this shot. I can reposition them a little redo things. The light is just late afternoon sun strong rays from one direction; deep blue sky in the other. My Lens and and settings must have added the rest of the color.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    OK Here is a new version of the "stone Puppies" Let me know if this better?

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Yes, I like the new version of Stone Puppies better. The color looks better to me.

Sherry
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    Definitely the new version - looks good - nice colors in the background too. To me, it looks as though it is leaning to the left - maybe it's the curvature of the concrete base, but it's accentuated by the dogs leaning that way. I think it would look better if it appeared to be more level.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2011
    The tilt has been bothering me a little not sure what happened. Fortunately I know where these dogs live.
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    hmmm... the newer version has improved color, but the background is a bit more busy than the initial. I am also more partial to the side lighting in the first, as it brings out a bit more depth rather than the harsh midday sun. All in all, I would go with the first one while reworking the white balance and straightening it out.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    The tilt has been bothering me a little not sure what happened. Fortunately I know where these dogs live.

I think the road/pathway in the BG contributes to the sense of tilt. But even looking at the trees, you can see it.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    dls wrote: »
    hmmm... the newer version has improved color, but the background is a bit more busy than the initial. I am also more partial to the side lighting in the first, as it brings out a bit more depth rather than the harsh midday sun. All in all, I would go with the first one while reworking the white balance and straightening it out.

Agreed - especially about the simpler BG.

If you do a reshoot, try a bit offcenter on the subject, instead of full face. Just a few degrees to the left could make it more interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    OK Rained all day.... Manged to reshoot the puppies when they were drying.... Thoughts on this one before I switch out the contest Entry version... or reshoot again?

Rock Pups #3

Rock Pups #4 ( a little more sun )
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    I like the way #3 is kinda framed by the background trees at the edges of the shot, although I like the sunlight in #4. Overall, I'd say #3 is my fav. & I like your title of "Stone Puppies" better than "Rock Puppies", esp for the concrete theme - can't really explain why!
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    If you do a reshoot, try a bit offcenter on the subject, instead of full face. Just a few degrees to the left could make it more interesting.
    It would be interesting to see some different angles or perspectives - cool little statue :)
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Keith