A 100-year old school - past its prime but with some awesome character

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited February 25, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
As part of my weekly blog to explore the town, I had written notes to shoot one of our elementary schools this Winter. The school was built in 1906 and I think it has the original boilers in place. The town vetoed a measure to raze it and rebuild but efforts are underway to get this on the ballet again. I'm hoping these pictures will help sway the vote. In the meantime, it was a real privilege to be able to shoot the history and character that make up this old building. Unfortunately, the boilers weren't firing but I'm going back next week for that shot :wink
C/C appreciated. All are HDR brackets (6 by 1 EV spacing) processed in Photomatix and PhotoTools.

The boiler room
1197053526_rXU79-M.jpg

Under the Whale
1197054837_u7gRc-M.jpg

Boys Room
1197055096_ATjey-M.jpg

Window to the Past [there's duct tape holding panes in place:huh]
1197055466_5x7Yd-M.jpg

Schools Out
1197055669_BbzoA-M.jpg

Teachers' Break Room
1197055852_AYPaW-M.jpg

The Cafeteria [Seriously!]
1197056036_EzBcm-M.jpg

ps - also test driving the new logo/watermark. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    It's in great shape for such an old school! Then again, you didn't exactly say that it's been EMPTY since 1906 lol3.gif

I love the colorful shot with the chair (#2).
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    These are great shots and a very good subject fo HDR! I like em'!clap.gif
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    I really like the boiler room shot.....and nice subtle use of HDR.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Great job on applying a subtleness of HDR. I like #5, reminds me of grade-school all over again.
  • jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Love the chairs with the tennis balls on the feet........nice series.clap.gif Too many old buildings are being torn down.
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Glad I got Schmoo to move this one over here.

I normally hang out in Landscapes but realized after posting that this really belonged here. Appreciate the warm welcome and kind words.

I'm actually hoping the images help our town realize that this school needs to be rebuilt. I'm told that the boilers are converted coal-fired units that are kept in working order only because demo crews across Massachusetts know to send parts from demo'ed buildings here if they find similar units.
    E
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    I enjoyed your series of photos tremendously. Would hate to see an old school like this torn down.

I had a chance to go into an old school in a small town I spent some time growing up in. Sadly for me it was when I was just learning how to shoot. No tripod yet and very low light. I managed to squeeze out a few keepers.

Logo/watermark looks neat and professional thumb.gif