Options

Music Copyrights

BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Weddings
Here is the issue (moral and probably legal) that I struggle looking at photographers websites and their work. Most of them have a copyright notice on their sites, slideshows, etc. They charge extra for jpg files with the limited copyright release. Yet, quite of few of them use the music that I highly doubt they have a license to use. The license for such songs is almost impossible to get or very expensive. Example of an artist that I saw being used for promotional purposes just today: Black Eyed Peas, Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole (Somewhere Over the Rainbow). Am I missing something here? Do we deal with double standards? What is your opinion?
Jacek

Comments

• Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    I agree with you. I was just discussing this with another photog the other day...but it was about slide shows and music.

The same people that are using copyrighted music would flip a lid if they saw their photos used without permission. Just sayin.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    It happens all of the time. It's really sad when industry leaders do it too.

I've bought the rights to some music from TripleScoop for slideshows and that sort of thing before. Also, I have used music from indie bands that I have shot (after asking permission of course).
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Music licenses for dvds etc. are actually relatively affordable for small runs (wedding videos etc.), but using the same music online is very expensive. It's less of an issue for togs than for videographers though, as brides expect their wedding films to be cut to commercial music, not obscure copyright free stuff.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    That's why I write my own music :D

Oh, but I don't use that for my website... lol

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I would have to go back and double check the laws on using copyrighted music on your web site as your are technically not selling anything when people are looking at your site. It is absolutly illegal to use copyrighted music on any products you sell like slide shows or videos without permission.

Best bet in either matter would be to use royalty free music. You can normally get good royalty free songs for a reasonable price.

Also, as a rule I dont use music with lyrics in anything I do (except the stupid song I have on my soon to be replaced web site that came with the templete and I can't figure out how to get rid of) I think the lyrics distract from the images
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com