ok it was raining outside

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited February 27, 2011 in Holy Macro
So I had a play doing some flower focus stack shots of a small cineraria and begonia flowers. All focus stacked using zerene stacker. Last 3 shots are cross-eye stereograms for those that can freeview them.

Brian V

5471571491_dae05f5e79_o.jpg

5471571497_69a46ac099_b.jpg

5473395124_853bcc4f34_o.jpg

5473395130_761ccae6c1_o.jpg

5471571501_3b1fc598ab_b.jpg

5473395128_2245625d2a_b.jpg

5473395132_97abe26b54_b.jpg

Comments

• linda1111linda1111 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    OMG! Beautiful! But if it was raining, where's the water? :)
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Beautiful! Great as always!thumb.gif
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    I do not know enough about macro to understand your description of technique, but I can tell you every single one is breathtaking! Best, Pam
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Thanks for the comments all - appreciated :)

Linda - Indoor pot plants :)

Pam - Focus stacking is a way of combining the in focus bits from a series of shots taken at different focus depths into one photograph to increase the DOF of the photograph.

Brian v.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Brian, what a perfectly clear concise explanation! Sort of like HDR except for focus instead of exposure? Best, Pam
    edited February 26, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    Brian, what a perfectly clear concise explanation! Sort of like HDR except for focus instead of exposure? Best, Pam
    Very similar to HDR but you often use more than just 3 shots. Shot #2 for example took 22 shots to get the DOF I wanted.
    Brian v.
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Very similar to HDR but you often use more than just 3 shots. Shot #2 for example took 22 shots to get the DOF I wanted.
    Brian v.

Please tell me you didn't do Shot #2 off-hand with 22 exposures? :)

Very well done.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • djkraandjkraan Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Yes this is quality. Nice DOF
  • linda1111linda1111 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Thanks for the comments all - appreciated :)

Linda - Indoor pot plants :)

Pam - Focus stacking is a way of combining the in focus bits from a series of shots taken at different focus depths into one photograph to increase the DOF of the photograph.

Brian v.

haha. Got it.
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks again for the comments :)

Rob for setup shots like this where I know I'm going to do fairly extensive focus stacks, I set the shot up on a table top with some frosted glass place mats and coasters. The subject goes on the coasters to raise it a bit with another coaster behind to act as a background and I rest the whole camera on the table mat. You can then very easily slide the camera to take the focus slices on the glass surface.

Brian V.
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks again for the comments :)

Rob for setup shots like this where I know I'm going to do fairly extensive focus stacks, I set the shot up on a table top with some frosted glass place mats and coasters. The subject goes on the coasters to raise it a bit with another coaster behind to act as a background and I rest the whole camera on the table mat. You can then very easily slide the camera to take the focus slices on the glass surface.

Brian V.

Ah... makes perfect sense. This macro stuff is new to me and really is a whole different world of photography. Thank you so much for taking the time out to share some of your tricks.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
    edited February 27, 2011
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Ah... makes perfect sense. This macro stuff is new to me and really is a whole different world of photography. Thank you so much for taking the time out to share some of your tricks.

-Rob

No probs :)
    Not sure if it's obvious or not but shooting high mag macro like this with both camera and subject effectively on the same mcahnically linked rigid surface is actually a lot more stable than trying to use a tripod where the camera and subject are not mechanically linked.
    Brian v.