Any people/wedding shooters excited about the X100??

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited April 3, 2011 in Cameras
I have a friend who switched from being a 2 slr shooter to a 1 slr and Leica M9 shooter. I'm really excited about the x100 and I'm considering dropping a DSLR in favor of an x100. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing, the S3 and Fuji's sensor technology was really groundbreaking. That and what looks by most assessments as real deal Fujinon primo prime glass should make for an AWESOME rangerfinder-esque compact pro camera.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    x100? google search doesn't show any camera for "x100"?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Coney_Island_GaryConey_Island_Gary Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    x100? google search doesn't show any camera for "x100"?

http://blog.digitalrev.com/2010/09/20/fujifilms-answer-to-the-leica-m9-the-finepix-x100/
    Gary from Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    It's very nice, if I was a street shooter I might consider one. But for my purposes, and weddings also, I think an SLR would be better suited. That said, I would not want a Leica.

APS-C and manual focus, right?
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Definitely cool -- at least if you typically shoot with two cameras. I'd still hesitate to do a wedding without a back-up dslr in the bag, but as a second camera that you could swap between, very nice! more so once there's one you can play with -- I'm hoping at least one local photographer out here will get one, or I'll see if the local camera store (pictureline ftw) will let me play with one a little bit ;)
    //Leah
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    It's very nice, if I was a street shooter I might consider one. But for my purposes, and weddings also, I think an SLR would be better suited. That said, I would not want a Leica.

APS-C and manual focus, right?

Yeah the Leica is APS-C and Manual focus....but a 28mm f2 Summicron and bright range finder will go a long way to make up for the manual focus. My friend that uses this rig uses a 28 and a 50 on the Leica and a 70-200 2.8 on his 5D, so he has opted for losing the standard zoom and keeping the tele. I'd probably do the same.
    edited February 24, 2011
    I'd find it hard to use manual focus a lot.
    catspaw wrote:
    Definitely cool -- at least if you typically shoot with two cameras. I'd still hesitate to do a wedding without a back-up dslr in the bag, but as a second camera that you could swap between, very nice! more so once there's one you can play with -- I'm hoping at least one local photographer out here will get one, or I'll see if the local camera store (pictureline ftw) will let me play with one a little bit ;)

That's a good idea, I will not buy one but I'll see if my store will let me hold one :D
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    I ordered an x100 for those times I'm not doing weddings. I would not shoot a wedding without two compatible bodies. Ever.

I've taken the olympus E-pl1 with Panny 20mm 1.7 (Very equivalent) to a wedding and it shoots a great picture but the speed isn't what it needs to be for weddings. The Fuji seems to also have reported speed issues. Its a great street camera but not a great choice for a wedding/portrait camera.

Here's what I see.
    Autofocus is slower than SLR (the biggest issue ever in weddings, especially since AF is even harder in low light)
    The sensor was customized to make it perform better with a compact size, but not necessarily a better sensor all around.
    The color pictures on the web so far seem over saturated and lacking dynamic range. The BW look incredible.
    No lightroom support YET. So can't try to fix the color issues.
    Low battery life compared to a SLR
    If you already have an SLR, it's cheaper to buy an equivalent lens. (Canon 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, or 28mm f1.8 are all choices under $500)
    Completely different system, down to the hotshoe and memory (My SLRs are CF.)

BTW: I love the idea of the Fuji x100 which is why I bought one, but its not the best tool for weddings.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited March 17, 2011
    The X100 has AF?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 17, 2011
    The X100 has AF?

"The high-speed CMOS sensor read-out and the EXR Processor's enhanced focusing system contributes to the high-speed AF performance, while the combination of the optical viewfinder and extremely low shutter time lag enhance the pleasure of every shot."

(Boldface mine.)

From this announcement page:

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n100920.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 17, 2011
    "
    • Focus (mode): Single AF / Continuous AF/MF Distance Indicator
    • Focus (type): TTL contrast AF, AF assist illuminator available
    • (AF frame selection): Area / Multi
    "

From this page:

http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/x100/technical-specification
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 17, 2011
    Hmm. Sorry, I thought it was Leica-M-style manual focus.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Hmm. Sorry, I thought it was Leica-M-style manual focus.
    That would be SWEET! Sigh. Alas, I guess I'll keep saving for the M9. :-P

Okay seriously, the X100 is INDEED a very awesome concept, and if it's any improvement on the Fuji S3 / S5 sensor, I'd buy one for sure. It'd make an AMAZING everyday camera. Here's one of my favorite images, an un-processed JPG using the in-camera film simulation modes. Really the Fuji cameras are a thing of beauty...

=Matt=

223870791_9LT5P-O.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    If I did weddings I don't think I'd be comfortable having an RF used unless it was a second shooter. Even then I would hope they had plenty of time to get accustomed using one.

Oh BTW the M8/8.2 are the croppers, the M9 is FF(yes I've been lusting for a DRF). :(
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    x100 supports auto and manual focus.

I just saw some iso 6400 pics and I must say, they look like my 30D at Iso 800! Almost invisible noise, and the noise that is there is very pleasing, subtle, luminance noise. freaking excellent 6400
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Here is a good video review of the x100.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Looks cool.

This color is nice too! If it can do that I might need to check it out. Would be a nice walk around camera. Another option is it is so small that you could do 2 SLR's and have this thing around your neck setup just for a special effect. Like B&W or some cool color or film effect.

223870791_9LT5P-O.jpg
    edited March 24, 2011
    That would be SWEET! Sigh. Alas, I guess I'll keep saving for the M9. :-P

Okay seriously, the X100 is INDEED a very awesome concept, and if it's any improvement on the Fuji S3 / S5 sensor, I'd buy one for sure. It'd make an AMAZING everyday camera. Here's one of my favorite images, an un-processed JPG using the in-camera film simulation modes. Really the Fuji cameras are a thing of beauty...

=Matt=

Matt...

That shot is amazing...exactly what I was hoping for in the X100...I assume you own it or have played with it extensively. What do you think about it for a non-flash, inconspicuous, natural angle of view, second or third wedding camera. That is all I'm considering it for, a supplement for my 7D/40D combo not a replacement for the 40D. Yes I'd probably shoot natural light portraits with it occasionally, but my primary interest in it is using it for weddings as a street photographer would use it.
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Leica M8.2 and the D-lux4
    500793820_NhACP-M.jpg

678448673_6f6W6-M.jpg

Tell me which is the M 8.2 and D-lux 4,
    Waiting for my M9
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
    edited April 3, 2011
    I'm guessing the train shot is the digilux...because it would be hard if not impossible to get something that wide on the M.