Abandoned by the roadside

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited February 25, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
For ages I've been fascinated by falling-down little shacks and buildings on the side of the road. What the heck are they? What were they? What possessed someone to hammer it together in the first place? Winter makes it especially easy to see them, although it makes it difficult to reach them most of the time. Here are some that caught my eye recently -

5475798731_4db167b76e_z.jpg

5475845739_ae9c165685_z.jpg

5456099303_910e68352f_z.jpg

these would all be practically invisible at any other time. I'm planning to revisit that second one later on when I don't have to climb over snowbanks! :oogle

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Climbing over the snow banks is 1/2 the fun in taking photos during the winter rolleyes1.gifI'm always amazed at what I see during the winter that I never see during the summer months.

Your last photo intrigues me. What kind of building was this? A school or boarding house?

Little buildings I've found out in the middle of no-where are sometimes pump houses, old play houses or just some kind of storage shed. Lucky little girls would have some nice playhouses built for them out in the country. Dad's used left over materials to build what looks like a mini-house for them. I always envied my cousin's play house ... she lived in the country. Me being a in-town girl I didn't have one :cry

Great finds thumb.gif
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    winter is revealing and concealing in equal measure I think.

the big red building was probably a chicken barn. before the use of electic fans, they had lots of windows because the ventilation was so important.

your talk about the play house put me in mind of this shot -
    5477020800_65019b7b3a_z.jpg

I came across it in Vermont and it had running water inside that little turret part as well a as a bed and chair inside. Maybe someone lived in it long ago. seems sad now.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    winter is revealing and concealing in equal measure I think.

the big red building was probably a chicken barn. before the use of electic fans, they had lots of windows because the ventilation was so important.

your talk about the play house put me in mind of this shot -
    5477020800_65019b7b3a_z.jpg

I came across it in Vermont and it had running water inside that little turret part as well a as a bed and chair inside. Maybe someone lived in it long ago. seems sad now.

I'm betting this was a nice looking place in it's time.

As soon as mentioned chicken house I remembered someone telling me about these :D Wonder how high the 2nd and 3rd floors are. They don't look very high.