Any good or too back lit?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Landscapes
1198530055_kVRgv-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Its Good, well for me at least. I wonder what it would look like with the sun staying like it is, but bring up the exposure on the foreground and surrounding landscape a bit to show more detail and color?
    Duke
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    try a 2to1 or 3to1 crop theres way to much on the bottom and the motion blur is distracting.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    cj99si wrote: »
    try a 2to1 or 3to1 crop theres way to much on the bottom and the motion blur is distracting.

Hit the nail on the head. I knew there was something that bugged me. It's the blur in the foreground.

How's this:

1154688300_ECLRG-X2-2.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Much better!
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    The crop is better but this is really screaming to be an HDR. Probably tough to bracket on a boat, but I don't think it works like this. That's a great sky and all of the detail is lost.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    personally I like it (the cropped - the water was too blurry) but maybe you could sharpen the mountains on the right and show off the mountain green a bit more?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Agreed, love the cropped version!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    thumb.gif for the cropped version.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    The cropped version is much better - nice job. I agree that an HDR treatment would be great, but likely not as easy to capture on a boat. ;)
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Hmmm, I think I prefer the original. For me it's about the move from darkness to light, like the islands are rising out of the unknown depths. The cropped version is fine, but to me is a little more boring. I get the impulse to crop it, though.

EDIT: Looking at it some more, I think it's the diagonal from the lower right to the sun that interests me. If it were my shot and someone asked me what the subject is, that would be it. It leads you right to the sky. The cropped version is missing that tension.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    My first reaction also was to crop out the bottom blur. But I think you overdid it a tad. Maybe just the first 2 or 3 waves from the center bottom.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    My first reaction also was to crop out the bottom blur. But I think you overdid it a tad. Maybe just the first 2 or 3 waves from the center bottom.

I agree, too much cropped. Need to bring back more depth and some action the blur provided. You'll find the balance.
    Looks blown out with the sun intensity, tone it down some. Lightroom has been a marvel for me, hope you use it.

Agree, great candidate for some HDR application.