Downloading smugmug pictures, maintaining keywords & caption

huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited March 6, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Is there any software we can use to download pictures from our smugmug albums, and maintaining or find a way to write the keywords/description into EXIF?

I have 20,000 pictures which I am now renaming & adding keywords/tags, and it would be awful if I couldn't keep a copy of them somewhere else with keywords in place.

Any idea? Or do you think we can write a .php script or something that will help achieve this?
My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    huseyin wrote: »
    Is there any software we can use to download pictures from our smugmug albums, and maintaining or find a way to write the keywords/description into EXIF?

I have 20,000 pictures which I am now renaming & adding keywords/tags, and it would be awful if I couldn't keep a copy of them somewhere else with keywords in place.

Any idea? Or do you think we can write a .php script or something that will help achieve this?
    afaik AlbumFetcher was the only 3rd party app that would embed the IPTC data and save the album descriptions as text files. It's no longer supported. :(

I don't think any of the other downloader will do the same ( at least the ones I've tried )
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
  • huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Hi Rich,
    Thank you so much. The version that I just found* is not working in Windows Vista. It is giving C++ Runtime Library Error. The funny thing is, the error only occurs when you put correct e-mail and password. With incorrect data, it just doesn't give any error or attempt to login. I wonder if it would work in Windows XP or 2000.

In Vista using Windows 98 mode, it does not give runtime error but it just hangs after it says "listing albums".
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    huseyin wrote: »
    Hi Rich,
    Thank you so much. The version that I just found* is not working in Windows Vista. It is giving C++ Runtime Library Error. The funny thing is, the error only occurs when you put correct e-mail and password. With incorrect data, it just doesn't give any error or attempt to login. I wonder if it would work in Windows XP or 2000.

In Vista using Windows 98 mode, it does not give runtime error but it just hangs after it says "listing albums".
    The only working copy I have works on my XP machine. Haven't tried it on the Vista or Win7 machines yet.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    AlbumFetcher v3.6 worked 2/18/2011 on Win 7. Logged in with nickname not email.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 26, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    AlbumFetcher v3.6 worked 2/18/2011 on Win 7. Logged in with nickname not email.

Hi Allen,
    Nickname doesn't work either. The problem is not being able to login, it is actually the stage after login, where it just crashes. Let me try the newer version. Edit: The version you have is v.0.3.6 :) What I had was v.0.2.0 and it just kept crashing.
    edited February 26, 2011
    Final: I just want to say a huge Thank You Allen and wRich. You guys are great, and this thing works perfect (so far). I just tried a small album with 20 pictures, and all data was embedded onto images, utilizing IPTC caption and keyword. Now I have no fear that I would lose all that hard work. (I should have done my tagging, description & keywords before I uploaded to smugmug, that's my fault).

Do you know if there is any limitation or why was this discontinued?
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    richW wrote: »
    afaik AlbumFetcher was the only 3rd party app that would embed the IPTC data and save the album descriptions as text files. It's no longer supported. :(

I don't think any of the other downloader will do the same ( at least the ones I've tried )
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

Yay! As a person who enters captions & keywords within SM, I have been needing this functionality too. I have an issue that I didn't see addressed in the earlier threads: The download works for me on XP but there is no caption/keyword data in the jpgs (yes, I did check "Embed IPTC data" box). Ring any bells? Thanks!
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    BigRed wrote: »
    Yay! As a person who enters captions & keywords within SM, I have been needing this functionality too. I have an issue that I didn't see addressed in the earlier threads: The download works for me on XP but there is no caption/keyword data in the jpgs (yes, I did check "Embed IPTC data" box). Ring any bells? Thanks!
    When you enter metadata in Smugmug, it's not put back into the actual images - it's always been that way. It's just stored in Smugmug's database and presented in the UI.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited February 27, 2011
    Smugmug does not modify the originals, but since they offer other sizes, I was hoping that they at least offered modified version with data embedded, which would just eliminate the need for 3rd party apps for this purpose. After all, 3rd party app modifies the original to embed those tags/keywords/description.
    edited February 27, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    When you enter metadata in Smugmug, it's not put back into the actual images - it's always been that way. It's just stored in Smugmug's database and presented in the UI.

Did I misunderstand the AlbumFetcher functionality from the discussion above? I realize SM doesn't embed the metadata, but an external app could do so while producing an output file, right? Also see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47160&highlight=albumfetcher
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    I d/l'ed two originals that I added captions and keywords in the Smugmug
    gallery. Both photos showed the captions and keywords when viewing with
    IrfanView.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited March 6, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I d/l'ed two originals that I added captions and keywords in the Smugmug gallery. Both photos showed the captions and keywords when viewing with IrfanView.

Aha, that's the clue I needed. AlbumFetcher does indeed embed the captions & keywords on download, but there's apparently a bug in Photoshop CS3 10.0 that hides it. Bridge displays it just fine, via the very same File Info panel as used by CS3. Strange. But I'm happy. Thanks!