You Just Gotta Love Racing Porsches

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited February 27, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Very few marques have enjoyed the racing history that Porsche has. Not only have their cars been among the fastest of the crowd, they have always been noted for their durability....which, in endurance racing, will bring home as many trophies as will outright speed.

This following car may well be the best butt-beater of all time. The racing providence this car possesses is unlikely to be matched ever again. You're looking at a 1979 Porsche 935.....but not just any ordinary racing 935. This very car was absolutely dominant everywhere it went.

It was raced at Le Mans in 1979. It won its class ( the IMSA class ) and finished second overall....astounding. Among its drivers in that storied event was no other than Paul Newman. It went on to win at the 24 Hours of Daytona. It won again at Sebring. I mean, this thing was unstoppable.

1197746145_hrAAr-X2.jpg

Porsches were not often the most powerful cars in the race.....but they were always light and handled exceptionally well. This car, a 1960 Porsche 718 / RS60, carried that theme to the extreme. These cars were the scourge of their competition in the lighter classes of racing.

1197769175_65ARk-X2.jpg

This is a 1973 Porsche 911 RSR. This one was raced by the likes of Roger Penske and other noted groups. These RSR's, as a group, held the mantle of Porsche very high.

1197769029_DxdTP-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Really nice shots!
    you need to stop, however, because I was in the car business before I retired, and racing was part of my responsibility. Seeing these makes me want to go back to work! :D
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Awesome shots, Tom and awesome storytelling! Thanks for sharing as always. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    yendikeno wrote: »
    you need to stop, however, because I was in the car business before I retired, and racing was part of my responsibility. Seeing these makes me want to go back to work! :D

I get a sense that we share the same curse. Once bitten, you can never shake the racing bug. It's had a grip on me all my adult life....both as an observer and a participant. I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited February 26, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Awesome shots, Tom and awesome storytelling! Thanks for sharing as always. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks, Jiro, for the very gracious comments.

I'm really anxious to see what great stuff you may have in store for us. You've got me hooked on seeing some exceptional work from yourself and I miss a steady supply of it.

Take care brother,

Tom
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Thanks, Jiro, for the very gracious comments.

I'm really anxious to see what great stuff you may have in store for us. You've got me hooked on seeing some exceptional work from yourself and I miss a steady supply of it.

Take care brother,

Tom

Still studying some aspects of photography, Tom. Don't worry, I'll post my work soon. :D
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    I want to drive #1 and 3. They look beastly!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Tom, thanks for great stories and pics. I don't think I want to get in a racing car, but I am proud to say that I drove +100 a few times on the German Autobahn (in a Saab). Not the same speed thrill that Paul Newman experienced! Are any of the drivers (actual racers) ever at these shows to talk about the cars? Who owns most of these beauties?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 27, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Tom, thanks for great stories and pics. I don't think I want to get in a racing car, but I am proud to say that I drove +100 a few times on the German Autobahn (in a Saab). Not the same speed thrill that Paul Newman experienced! Are any of the drivers (actual racers) ever at these shows to talk about the cars? Who owns most of these beauties?

Lauren

The owners of these historic race cars come from all quarters. In some cases, they are owned by the drivers who raced them. Most often, though, they now belong to wealthy collectors....who may or may not still race them in historic car events ( more of a way to enjoy the cars on the race track in their natural environment, as opposed to an actual race ). You'll also see some of these cars kept in the collection of the manufacturer. Nick Mason, the drummer for Pink Floyd, has a large collection of these kind of cars and also races them in the vintage events. As I say, the owner base of older race cars is quite varied....just like the owner base for any collectible car.

Here in Jacksonville, the Brumos Porsche organization....one of the most famous racing groups in our country.... maintains an extensive ( and very private ) museum that contains most of the famous cars they have raced over the years. Through personal contacts, I have entry to that museum....in fact, some of my photos ( blown up really big ) hang on the walls in the major display area. Probably the most noted and successful endurance racer of all time....Hurley Haywood....works with the Brumos group. He's a very pleasant guy and I enjoy talking with him.

The drivers associated with these cars are frequent guests or speakers at the major shows. The Amelia show, for instance, will feature a notable driver at each years event. Through exposure on the social side of some shows, I've been lucky to meet Paul Newman, Richard Petty, Derek Bell, Stirling Moss....and quite a few others. For the most part, they've all seemed to be decent folks.

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks for all the info! Sounds like you've had some truly special experiences . . . and congrats on having those images on display!!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com