Panoramic Images __ shading

cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited February 28, 2011 in Finishing School
:dunno Been working at shooting panoramic images .. editing in Photoshop using masks .. ok sucess.. but there seems to be inherent shading in the images ,, don't really know if this is a nature of the beast .. any thoughts out there with reguards to pano software .. thanks don: :

Comments

• senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Posting a photo would help but if you're saying what I think you're saying then I'll say this; Using manual mode and keeping the same aperture and shutter speed for each photo is one of my keys to pano success. If you allow the settings to change between shots you will definitely notice, and not in a good way. This does lead, quite often, to areas of imperfect exposure, but they are much more easily corrected in post than the drastic differences that show up between frames with varying apertures. Good luck.
    Jay
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    I'll move this over to Finishing School for you so that you can get some detailed help on your pano processing. thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 26, 2011
    What version of Photoshop?

What focal length lens were the images shot with?

Were the frames shot in Manual Mode with AWB turned off, and with Manual focus?????

Did you use a polarizing filter, perhaps??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    What version of Photoshop?

What focal length lens were the images shot with?

Were the frames shot in Manual Mode with AWB turned off, and with Manual focus?????

Did you use a polarizing filter, perhaps??

Pretty much have the camera in neutral .. manual mode with the AWB in the off position .. don't use a polarizer .. little reluctant to shoot in manual focus don't want an out of focus panel .. have CR 4 .. thanks don
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 27, 2011
    Manual Mode, non AWB, no polarizer is a good start.

If you are shooting objects at distances that are not within DOF at f8 or smaller, and you are refocusing, that will cause some issues I suspect.

You are rotating your camera around the nodal point of the lens? You did not state this point specifically,

You did not mention focal length either.

I know we have readers who use several of the pano softwares out there.

My experience is solely with CS4 and CS5, which have worked well for me for single row panos.

Are you shooting single row panos, or multiple row panos as well?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    cape cod wrote: »
    little reluctant to shoot in manual focus don't want an out of focus panel .. have CR 4 .. thanks don

What I do, is focus the first shot with auto focus, then keeping the focus, switch to manual focus and avoid touching it. As long as you dont move your tripod, I would think that you would keep your focus. If you use the proper tripod head, and everything is perfect, most of the time you can get pretty flawless results with photoshops photomerge function.
    Todd - My Photos
  • cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Great idea to insure focus issues .. thk