Winds over the Potomac

nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in Landscapes
Had some dramatic scenes following some storms in Washington DC. Winds were intense... In this shot you can see a bit of movement in the willows... I'll post more soon that are a bit more noticable.

C&C appreciated.

Potomac_river_sunset_clouds_willows.jpg
Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/

Comments

• FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Looks good!
    Just wondering if you were able to bring your black up a touch, and maybe increase your contrast? I'm thinking that alone would create more detail where the sun spills through the clouds.

Just wondering!

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Hi Brady,

Thanks for the comment. I've adjusted the brightness of the sun. Thoughts?
    Navin Sarma

edited February 26, 2011
    I like it a lot more!
    The sun has more flare! I also notice more detail through most of the picture especially within the bridge.

What do think?

Brady
    edited February 26, 2011
    Great comment. I painted mostly in the sun and it helped to show symmetry in the sunstar. Thanks again
    Navin Sarma

edited February 26, 2011
    Just an extra set of eyes!
    Like anything else when you're doing a lot of it you sometimes miss small things. A fresh set of eyes is most times a surprising asset. You get the credit - you took the shot, and you edited!

Well done! clap.gifclap

Brady
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    I'd love to see this but I get a broken image icon now :(
    edited March 3, 2011
    sorry schmoo... fixed.
    Navin Sarma

• PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I like the contrast of the cool grays on the left side of the photo with the warm glow of the winter grass on the right. Best, Pam
  • ZiesmannZiesmann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2011
    dramatic, indeed

well done bowdown.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Very nice shot. great clarity and detail throughout. the willows in the background look fine the only noticable blur is the upper rt foreground, looks like some doubling of the image going on. Might be a tough one to deal with, seeing how the sky is behind it. this has such great DOF did you do any focus stacking for DOF?
    edited March 5, 2011
    I sorry Doug I don't see it!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Very nice shot. great clarity and detail throughout. the willows in the background look fine the only noticable blur is the upper rt foreground, looks like some doubling of the image going on. Might be a tough one to deal with, seeing how the sky is behind it. this has such great DOF did you do any focus stacking for DOF?

Doug are you talking about the purplish coloring (ghosting) in the grays above the bridges?(Rt side of course) If so, with the image exposure being overwhelmingly influenced from the left side I would think there would be other sign lower in the frame. Also do you think, if so - this problem may not appear on original image of nazquel?

Sorry Doug I've had my coffee now! All other things aside - do you think this picture would show these sign if it wasn't rendered in order to be view here?-Smaller gamut, lower bit level - etc?

Brady
    edited March 6, 2011
    Freezframe wrote: »
    Doug are you talking about the purplish coloring (ghosting) in the grays above the bridges?(Rt side of course) If so, with the image exposure being overwhelmingly influenced from the left side I would think there would be other sign lower in the frame. Also do you think, if so - this problem may not appear on original image of nazquel?

Sorry Doug I've had my coffee now! All other things aside - do you think this picture would show these sign if it wasn't rendered in order to be view here?-Smaller gamut, lower bit level - etc?

Brady

No, I'm referring to the very top of the image on the right side...the branches coming in on the diagonal. It looks like some duplication of the branches..
    edited March 6, 2011
    Yes I see it now!
    I've never seen that before, or lets say noticed it. That is a different defect for sure.
    Is there a known reason for this anomaly? Where is the glitch coming from - the sensor?

Brady
    edited March 6, 2011
    hey guys...

doug, thanks for that catch. i thought that despite my fast shutter speed, that that ghosting was movement in the willows. turns out that is true, but is the result of a poor blend of exposures.

i've adjusted that and the crop. im curious for your comments?

brady - i'm not sure i understand your other critique. could you please expound?
    Navin Sarma

edited March 7, 2011
    oh and doug... no focus stacking :) just at f11
    Navin Sarma

edited March 7, 2011
    right on, it looks beautifullllll.
    edited March 7, 2011
    The CC was for Dougs finding!
    nazquel wrote: »
    hey guys...

doug, thanks for that catch. i thought that despite my fast shutter speed, that that ghosting was movement in the willows. turns out that is true, but is the result of a poor blend of exposures.

i've adjusted that and the crop. im curious for your comments?

brady - i'm not sure i understand your other critique. could you please expound?

I guess I never really thought about shutter speed in this situation being the cause for the quirk that Doug noticed. I will have to say again though - that I really like your new cropping of this picture! You have IMO added more depth, and added more range of color to this great shot.

Will done again!

Bradyclap.gif
    edited March 7, 2011
    Navin Sarma