Agathla Peak

jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Landscapes
On our recent trip through Arizona, I made a point to take a driving path that led us past Agathla Peak. I was lucky enough to have some dramatic clouds around the first day. We happened to go past the next day as well, when the clouds were not as plentiful, but still added to the shot I think.

1069270445_3HBLc-X3.jpg

1069270803_2sxAu-X3.jpg

#3 (next day)
1073902402_MioQF-X3.jpg

C & C welcome.

Entire gallery:
http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/Travel/Four-Corners-October-2010/14330552_75v54
Steve

http://www.steverucci.com

Use this code to get a discount when joining Smugmug: FmsEHhiPzBxic

Comments

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    I have to say I favor #1, it's a pretty cool thing to see for sure. We passed it on our way up to Moab last year and stopped there to get some pictures. There were some sheep and a dog looking over them there as well. They had quite a view.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    I think I'm partial to the last one. I really like the rich blue sky!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    What a cool hill! I like the comp and drama of #1, although the light and color are awesome in #3. Definitely looks like a place worth stalking for the best conditions.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    pretty cool... Agathla is an imposing sight, that's for sure! i'd prefer it without the fences, though... there's a road off to the right of the highway that leads up toward the base of the peak, and you can pull off the highway and get shots without the fence... or at least you could when i was there a couple of years ago! you might have to contend with a couple of burros, though... ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    squirl033 wrote: »
    pretty cool... Agathla is an imposing sight, that's for sure! i'd prefer it without the fences, though... there's a road off to the right of the highway that leads up toward the base of the peak, and you can pull off the highway and get shots without the fence... or at least you could when i was there a couple of years ago! you might have to contend with a couple of burros, though... ;)

I'm always looking to get my shots without things in the way such as the fences. In this case however, I wasn't sure about turning down any of the side roads behind the fences. It looked like private land, so I didn't want to upset anyone. I could have just walked up to the fence and shot over it, but I guess I was just being lazy that day ne_nau.gif
    Steve

http://www.steverucci.com

Use this code to get a discount when joining Smugmug: FmsEHhiPzBxic
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Much prefer your verticle image as well as the composition that eliminates the buildings.
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Nice work Steve. I've been by there a bunch and always in a hurry in a previous life, never again. Thanks for stopping! thumb.gif
    schmoo wrote: »
    What a cool hill! I like the comp and drama of #1, although the light and color are awesome in #3. Definitely looks like a place worth stalking for the best conditions.

Schmoo, there are many of these formations in the SW. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, I understand they are the remnants of a volcano core of long ago, where the softer outside has eroded away and what you see is the harder inner layers. A bit more Monolithic to me... Hills... too wimpy, these are grand in stature. :D