Options

Soccer Photo with new 1.4 Converter

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited March 5, 2011 in Sports
I used my new 1.4x Extender with my Canon 50D and Canon 70-200mm F2.8L non-IS lens today. After going through 300+ photos, about a 1/3 of them were blurry. It was partly cloudy and I was shooting at Aperture priority, with the shutter speed around 1/1000 at F2.8 with the ISO at 160 and the white balance set at Cloudy. I have the focus set to the center point and press the shutter button half down to set the focus. I expect the photos that were not blurry to pop more. Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Does the 50D have different focus modes? If so, try one of the AI Focus modes, not single shot. I'd think it would have them, the 20D did back when it was current...
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    Also, try shooting F4.. get a little more DOF until your focus is nailed.. That might help as well
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    I can't read the EXIF data but I would assume he is already at f/4.0if he is using the 1.4x, at least that is the widest I can get with the older 1.4x on my 70-200.

Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    oh yeah.. duh.. lol. I don't think about those things late at night. Focusing mode???
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    With the Extender I'm shooting a F/4.0 and the focus is set to AI mode. The photos look good in the viewer. What about pressing the AF focus button?
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I used my new 1.4x Extender with my Canon 50D and Canon 70-200mm F2.8L non-IS lens today. After going through 300+ photos, about a 1/3 of them were blurry. It was partly cloudy and I was shooting at Aperture priority, with the shutter speed around 1/1000 at F2.8 with the ISO at 160 and the white balance set at Cloudy. I have the focus set to the center point and press the shutter button half down to set the focus. I expect the photos that were not blurry to pop more. Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

Here are several things to look at, I rarely shoot daytime, when I do I am excited to shoot with my 1.4x on my lens the same as yours. Make sure you are using a single focus point on your 50D for sports the distance of the 9 focus points is too big to use anything else. The 1.4 will make your images a little less sharp inherently but not bad, the thing that gets me is it is a longer lens and when you really get out there your focus area is smaller than the 200 by 1/3 or so. You have less area to focus and may miss the shot, that will make a difference. It affects me every time, when you said "New" I thought of my own experience. You have to get used to it, the eqiupment is probably fine the shooter just needs an adjustment.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    Do you recommend the single focus point in the center or above center? I thought about changing the focus point just above center as this will focus on the face of the player and not the uniform.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    Do you recommend the single focus point in the center or above center? I thought about changing the focus point just above center as this will focus on the face of the player and not the uniform.

Most people like to focus on the face, I have learned to move it while shooting. There is no one setting that works for the entire game. Then if you go Portrait or Landscape or one to the other things change, I change it quite a bit sometimes during games and such depends on what you are trying to shoot at that moment not the game. I usually center it but sometimes I go high or low left or right.. Like your settings it is a moving target..

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm sure it's me not the camera.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm sure it's me not the camera.

Pull out the 1.4x and sit out in front of your house and take pictures of cars going by, kids playing or boats on the lake. Take a ton of pictures and find what works for your and what doesn't. The other cool thing to do is check out the Canon software that comes with your Camera and pull up what the Focus points where doing. Compare what your point was and what ended up being focused on. Make sure to set you camera to show the focus point on the display to give yourself a heads up while shooting. I hope this helps, just make sure to have fun!!
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Two questions:
    1) what brand TC?
    2) the shot you posted, is it cropped at all or is that how it was framed in-camera?

It doesn't look like the focus was necessarily off (based on the turf) but it definitely looks like it was either over-cropped or poor quality optics. I know the lens is sharp - so that leaves the TC or over-cropping.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    johng wrote: »
    Two questions:
    1) what brand TC?
    2) the shot you posted, is it cropped at all or is that how it was framed in-camera?

It doesn't look like the focus was necessarily off (based on the turf) but it definitely looks like it was either over-cropped or poor quality optics. I know the lens is sharp - so that leaves the TC or over-cropping.

It's a Canon TC II and yes I did crop it some on the sides.
  • Options
    srich250srich250 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I have the same setup with the 2.8L IS, and still sometimes don't get tack sharp pics. I believe its caused by camera shake. You are basically shooting a 440mm+ lens. Two tests/suggestions for you.
    First, put your camera,1.4x,lens on a tripod with the 10sec timer and mirrow lock-up and take a shot of a controlled test subject using same settings as your game or close. Then hand hold it and act like you are shooting a running player. Quickly take 10 shots one at a time a few soconds apart but do it as if you are under the same excitement/pressure as game day.
    Now review all 11 shots and all should bE identically crisp--if there is any diff its camera shake
    Have fuN practicing cause it isn't easy at all:) but so worth it
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Photodad,

I too shoot with the 50D, 70-200 f/2.8 Non-IS, with Canon 1.4x.

Things I would recommend.

1) Increase you shutter speed a little between 1/1250 to 1/2000 and adjust ISO as needed.

2) Use AWB and shoot in RAW in case you need to adjust later.

3) Try to frame tighter.

4) I do use the back button focus with single - center - point focus, and try to follow the player and get a few shots.

5) You can also try the microadjustment for that setup

and 6) Use USM to sharpen in PP.

I hope to start shooting some soccer and lacrosse very soon.

Good Luck,
    Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    With the Extender I'm shooting a F/4.0 and the focus is set to AI mode. The photos look good in the viewer. What about pressing the AF focus button?

Try using the back focus button. I had the same issues with my 70-200 using the shutter release button to focus & capture. My keeper rate increased when I used this technique. This will allow you to lock focus on your subject before pressing the shutter release.

1204271578_S8bow-M.jpg
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    Try using the back focus button. I had the same issues with my 70-200 using the shutter release button to focus & capture. My keeper rate increased when I used this technique. This will allow you to lock focus on your subject before pressing the shutter release.

1204271578_S8bow-M.jpg

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

No problem. It should help. What part of the great state of NC are you located? Born & raised in Greenville & Greensboro.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2011
    No problem. It should help. What part of the great state of NC are you located? Born & raised in Greenville & Greensboro.

I live in Clayton. I moved here from the Washington D.C area back in 2000 and love it here. NC is such a beautiful state with ocean and mountains.