Options

Problem with Nikon SB-600

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in Accessories
Any ideas what his happening here? My Nikon SB600 fires intermittently. With brand new fresh batteries the flash will not fire consistently. Sometimes it will fire several times in a row and than not fire for several times. It is very frustrating and safe to say I can't use it while it is like this. Do I need to send it in to be serviced. If so, that seems like the cost might outweigh it's value considering a new one can be purchased for around $220. I am getting a new SB-900 but would love to use both.

Help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,899 moderator
    edited February 27, 2011
    Is it charging properly?

Have you cleaned both the contacts of the flash and of the camera's hot-shoe?

Does the problem only happen in one orientation? (Portrait, for instance.)

Any other symptoms you might mention?

Have you tried leaving the batteries out for a prolonged period, to reset the flash?

When you say you bought new batteries, what sort of battery are they?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    My Sb600 is doing the same thing, it is very very frustrating!!!!
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    My Sb600 is doing the same thing, it is very very frustrating!!!!

Then my questions would apply to you as well. Your answers will help to diagnose the problem.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Then my questions would apply to you as well. Your answers will help to diagnose the problem.

Just regular AA Engergizer batteries I think. The same ones I have used for the past several years without issue. No difference in orientation...didn't think of that but tested and the problem is there regardless of orientation. I have not cleaned the mounts but I used a SB900 the other day without issue. I guess it is possible the mount is bad on the SB600. How do I clean it?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    mpriest13 wrote: »
    Any ideas what his happening here? My Nikon SB600 fires intermittently. With brand new fresh batteries the flash will not fire consistently. Sometimes it will fire several times in a row and than not fire for several times. It is very frustrating and safe to say I can't use it while it is like this. Do I need to send it in to be serviced. If so, that seems like the cost might outweigh it's value considering a new one can be purchased for around $220. I am getting a new SB-900 but would love to use both.

Help!

Thanks!

This, combined with your last statement: The only time I have had intermittent flash issues with the SB600 is when the batteries were low. You didn't mention trying one or two other sets.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    I just got new batteries today...a few moments ago in fact, I'll see if it helps.
    I researched on line a bit and someone mentioned that if the user (us) takes photos in rapid fire we could have burned out the circut board...?!
    not sure thats the case tho, as it does in fact work sometimes.
    I also had re-set the flash before when I 1st noticed it. My flash primarily is not working in P mode.
    But I have to admit....I got it the 1st week of Janurary and I've really used the hell out of it - I waited so long for it that I needed my fix (but my fix lasted like a month...lol rolleyes1.gif
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    wow...I'm almost embarrassed to admit it....it was the batteries!
    Jeesh...and they were new too! But I just put these Brand new ones in and cleaned the contacts off AGAIN...and now its working like a charm.
    I bet my kids took the batteries out of flash and changed them up with the wii...that would make perfect sense!
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Jeesh...and they were new too! But I just put these Brand new ones in and cleaned the contacts off AGAIN...and now its working like a charm.
    I bet my kids took the batteries out of flash and changed them up with the wii...that would make perfect sense!

Glad to hear Batteries fixed it!
    I will tend to expect a couple (2) hundred shots from a set of batteries, but I'm talking rechargeables here, and more than one time I have showed up ready to go only to have to change batteries to get off of the ground, this is again with rechargeables. Not sure of everyone else, but I tend to keep three sets per flash.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011

Glad you got it sorted out. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Just regular AA Engergizer batteries I think. The same ones I have used for the past several years without issue. No difference in orientation...didn't think of that but tested and the problem is there regardless of orientation. I have not cleaned the mounts but I used a SB900 the other day without issue. I guess it is possible the mount is bad on the SB600. How do I clean it?

It is both the contact pins and the ground connection which may need attention on the flash. Basically anywhere there is supposed to be metal to metal contact.

Clean both the camera's hot-shoe and the flash's shoe because it could be a combination of oxidation or oil on both.

Start with some rubbing alcohol that has no added oils or other additives. Pre-moistened alcohol cloths designed for lens cleaning work pretty well. Do not use so much alcohol that it drips.

Allow to dry thoroughly and then burnish with some plain white paper. The paper is a very minor abrasive and will remove simple oxidation quickly.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It is both the contact pins and the ground connection which may need attention on the flash. Basically anywhere there is supposed to be metal to metal contact.

Clean both the camera's hot-shoe and the flash's shoe because it could be a combination of oxidation or oil on both.

Start with some rubbing alcohol that has no added oils or other additives. Pre-moistened alcohol cloths designed for lens cleaning work pretty well. Do not use so much alcohol that it drips.

Allow to dry thoroughly and then burnish with some plain white paper. The paper is a very minor abrasive and will remove simple oxidation quickly.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was all set you drop $400 on a new flash when I did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly. My SB-600 is working again!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was all set you drop $400 on a new flash when I did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly. My SB-600 is working again!

Thanks!

Glad it's working. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone!