Options

Quality vs. Quantity on FB

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I've been reading the various threads active right now on Facebook and gathering "likes" on business pages. I, too, am building a base of clients on Facebook and am in the midst of trying to understand the Facebook beast and how it can benefit my solo photography business.

People talk about how to increase the "likes" on a page by holding contests, tagging, etc and I have done/do both. When it comes down to it, I wonder if there is something to be said for quality of "likes" vs. quantity. I don't want a bunch of fans who have only liked me for one reason (i.e. a photo contest) and never participate or even look at my page after the unique experience wears off. Still, perhaps it doesn't matter how they get to me as long as I have a captive audience and can keep them there.

Is there value in attracting fly-by-night "likes" to a page or is a smaller, more solid base of fb fans the way to go?

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    I was just reading this article that gives some insight into how the ranking works on Facebook, which levers to pull...
    http://socialmediatoday.com/socialmediaclub/273292/how-ensure-your-facebook-wall-posts-are-seen-edgerank
    indiegirl wrote: »
    Is there value in attracting fly-by-night "likes" to a page or is a smaller, more solid base of fb fans the way to go?

It seems like the solid base of fans would be more important. The impulse "likes" will only keep you if your posts are relevant to them, otherwise they will hit "Hide" or "Unlike" to simplify their News Feed. A lot of people don't realize that clicking Like actually means "subscribe," so their next reaction to your business is how they relate to your next post on their News Feed. According to the linked article, people don't visit the actual pages themselves very often (I sure don't). So it seems like the strategy is to think of the page more as a base for your outgoing posts and inbound link activity from outside Facebook, where the real action is. I am just beginning with this myself, so don't think this is expert advice! Just my conclusions.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011

Off the top of my head I would tend to think (as many might), that solid fans would be best. The caveat to that would be a maven/connector: A person who knows many many people and has influence over them, and those folks do exist. So while it makes perfect sense to attract those especially solid folks, there is a chance you might attract a connector who can connect you with literally thousands of others. Of course this is also where the six degrees of separation thing came from.
    tom wise
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I held a contest *its still running*. I went from 179 fans to 496 fans in a week. It took me 2 years to get the original 179 fans. I realize most of these fans are not true fans, they just did that so they could vote. But it has opened some doors.

I friended each new fan, or tried to. Those that accepted my friend request, I would thank them publically on their wall with a link to my page, for their friends to see. About 1/10 like my post and a few of those actually comment.

Out of the 317 new fans, about 5 have contacted me about doing pictures. A few of those came from posting that thank you on their wall. And now there are about 250 locals that now have heard about my business that didn't know about it before. And when someone goes to my page, it looks like I am well liked. If they had two photographers to choose from, both are similarly priced, and both do a good job, they may be more likely to go for the one that is more popular thinking there is a reason for that popularity. Its just a guess and a theory at this stage. :)

I also put content on my wall to show them my current specials, since I figured a lot would be looking at it at some point. I also added some picture galleries of some of my good baby portraits. :D

I am thinking of doing a couple more contests for different age groups, and a maternity/mother one for mothers day.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011

While the obvious answer is a solid base, the mass appeal of fly by night "likes" can lead to other solid fans.

For everyone who likes you, their fans see who they like and may choose to become a real fan of your work. I see this as no different than passing out business cards at a large event. While that person may do nothing with it, you never know who it may get passed along to.

All business marketing is a numbers game. The more stuff you throw on the wall, the more it sticks.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    I held a contest *its still running*. I went from 179 fans to 496 fans in a week. It took me 2 years to get the original 179 fans. I realize most of these fans are not true fans, they just did that so they could vote. But it has opened some doors.

I friended each new fan, or tried to. Those that accepted my friend request, I would thank them publically on their wall with a link to my page, for their friends to see. About 1/10 like my post and a few of those actually comment.

Out of the 317 new fans, about 5 have contacted me about doing pictures. A few of those came from posting that thank you on their wall. And now there are about 250 locals that now have heard about my business that didn't know about it before. And when someone goes to my page, it looks like I am well liked. If they had two photographers to choose from, both are similarly priced, and both do a good job, they may be more likely to go for the one that is more popular thinking there is a reason for that popularity. Its just a guess and a theory at this stage. :)

I also put content on my wall to show them my current specials, since I figured a lot would be looking at it at some point. I also added some picture galleries of some of my good baby portraits. :D

I am thinking of doing a couple more contests for different age groups, and a maternity/mother one for mothers day.

What a great success story! What kind of contest is it again?
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    What a great success story! What kind of contest is it again?

Just a baby photo one. they submitted the photos, I did stipulate that they had to take it themselves, that way I didnt have to worry about copyright issues, hopefully. :)

I gave them to much time to enter, although there was a few entries towards the end, and way to much time to vote. most of the votes came in within a couple of days, it has really slowed down nwo, and there is still 8 days left.

I dont know how much of a success story it is, I have spent a ton of time on facebook for this, adding people, thanking them, etc.

Then im hoping with the free portrait, that they will want to buy additional things. If they do, I may award a 2nd and 3rd place winner.
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    Just a baby photo one. they submitted the photos, I did stipulate that they had to take it themselves, that way I didnt have to worry about copyright issues, hopefully. :)

I gave them to much time to enter, although there was a few entries towards the end, and way to much time to vote. most of the votes came in within a couple of days, it has really slowed down nwo, and there is still 8 days left.

I dont know how much of a success story it is, I have spent a ton of time on facebook for this, adding people, thanking them, etc.

Then im hoping with the free portrait, that they will want to buy additional things. If they do, I may award a 2nd and 3rd place winner.
    Definitely keep us posted on this! You did make me realize one important thing and that is being able to communicate with "new likes". I may try and add all that have "liked" my page just to see if that draws new fans.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX