Questions about Point and Shoot Cameras

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Cameras
Hello,

I have been looking into getting a new Point and Shoot camera, I currently have a Canon powershot SX120IS

I love the Camera, but it isnt as good in low light as Id like.

I have been looking at the Nikon p7000. I like the features of it, only downside is that I'd be losing the zoom range of the SX120IS.

Do any of you have personal experience with the p7000, or have any of you heard any good or bad information of it?

Thanks in advance
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    I don't know so can't comment about the Nikon P7000, but I have a Canon PowerShot A720IS; three features which immediately come to mind: (1) it uses 2 x AA batteries (just about available anywhere) (2) has full control (i.e.. the photographer has total control over the picture, and the AUTO is pretty good as well!) (3) firmware tweaks available from various user-groups which make the camera even easier to use.

er, that's it...

Good luck...

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
  • piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    The max aperture is 2.8 for the Nikon. Check out the Canon S95 since it has an aperture of f2.0. Makes a big difference.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011

There's a much newer comparison, with current cameras like the P7000, here. Note that in most shootouts among these three cameras, the P7000 originally asked about usually ends up at the bottom of the review compared to the Canon and Panasonic entries.

But that comparison doesn't include the newest interesting entry with the fastest lens for low light (f/1.8!), the Olympus ZX-1, which looks very strong, probably better than the P7000, and possibly better than the other two in many ways. (I own the Panasonic LX3 and have not tried the Olympus.)
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    colourbox wrote:
    There's a much newer comparison, with current cameras like the P7000, here. Note that in most shootouts among these three cameras, the P7000 originally asked about usually ends up at the bottom of the review compared to the Canon and Panasonic entries.

That includes the P7000. And the G12 and Panny LX5.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    98olds wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been looking into getting a new Point and Shoot camera, I currently have a Canon powershot SX120IS

I love the Camera, but it isnt as good in low light as Id like.

I have been looking at the Nikon p7000. I like the features of it, only downside is that I'd be losing the zoom range of the SX120IS.

Do any of you have personal experience with the p7000, or have any of you heard any good or bad information of it?

Thanks in advance

I bought a Nikon P7000 last November. I wanted a point & shoot type camera with the ability to change settings via external buttons. I hate having to go into a menu then scroll to find what you're looking for. For me, the Canon G12 vs. Nikon P7000 battle was an easy decision. I already shoot with a Nikon D300s and thought it would be easier to stick with Nikon. Also the zoom range was better with the Nikon. As for image quality goes, I'd bet you could look at prints from both the Canon & Nikon and not tell the difference. With all that said, I believe it comes down to personal preference and ergonomics.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Just bought the Canon S95 as a pocket camera and so far I am totally impressed with it. Digging into the menus is a PITA but you'll get that on ANY p&s camera.

The image quality is great.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Check out the Samsung TL500. (EX1 in the rest of the world.) Nice wide, fast (1.8!) lens, articulating screen, front and rear control dials, shoots raw, great color, great price. (~300 last I checked.)
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Just bought the Canon S95 as a pocket camera and so far I am totally impressed with it. Digging into the menus is a PITA but you'll get that on ANY p&s camera.

Just as a general hint, on any P&S camera (or any camera), it's worth looking to find out which features and defaults are programmable so you can put your most used features up front. Doing this on my Panasonic has saved me many deep menu trips, and I am pretty sure the S95 control rings are programmable. I think the Olympus got dinged in one review for lacking customizable controls.