Can you recommend White Lightning UltraZAP 1600?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited March 2, 2011 in People
Can you recommend White Lightning UltraZAP 1600? I want to use it for product work.

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Anything made by Paul Buff is an exceptional product back by great customer service. If there is any rub about some of the units is that they don't always put out a consistent f stop. From flash to flash you could be off by a half stop and possibly alittle more. The 1600 is alot of power. Find the job you want to do then by the tool that will do it not the other way around.
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I have the older White Lightning 600 lights and sent them in for upgrades for the better bulbs and only costed me like $70.00 including the bulbs. The service was fast and very easy transaction. I highly recommend the products and service.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    haring wrote: »
    Can you recommend White Lightning UltraZAP 1600? I want to use it for product work.

One thing to keep in mind is that often it is essential for product photography to have perfectly accurate color. Paul Buff's lights (except the new Einstein which corrects the issue) are known for being fairly inconsistent in color temperature as the power changes. Now, for many people doing portrait photography this isn't a big deal and they get by just fine. And maybe you're not doing product photography at the level where it would matter to you either. But it is something to be aware of. The biggest issue is that if you use more than one light at different power settings, you'll have mixed color lighting (to some degree, and again, it may not even be noticeable) that is not easily correctable by changing white balance in a RAW editor. If you're using just one light or you have them all on the same power setting then it becomes a non-issue as you can just shoot a gray card and correct the WB in post.