Watson Lake Panos - Prescott, AZ

HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Landscapes
Big snow storm came through AZ last night (Saturday 26-Feb-2011). This was mid-day and much of the new fallen snow was gone already.

New Info: (So after some good comments and a little more time, I went back to work on #1. Shot #1, is the original I posted which was run through Photomatix in a hurry and cropped. I did learn that processing on my laptop is a waste of time until I get the screen a little more tuned up. When I opened this image on my desktop, it was like "how did that happen".

Thought I'd show a small series for a bit of a mini-HDR-lesson or comparison.
Next: #1a is the original raw files convert/jpg stitched.
#1b is the result of the stitched image (saved with 5 different exposures) run through Photomatix and output with basically default 'Details Enhancer" settings.
#1c has been brought back into Lightroom; cropped slightly plus a variety of enhancements for color, sharpening, noise and other settings to make it more pleasing or interesting without a lot of saturation. I'd still like to bump up the rocks a bit.

I'd be interested in hearing your comments as to what pleases you all knowing there are purists, HDR users, and HDR extremists among us. Any other comments welcome too.

#1. Watson Lake in Prescott, AZ
Pano from two shots and slight crop.

1200955544_65TyU-1200x1200.jpg

#1a
1202829093_t8Lhx-1200x1200.jpg

#1b
1202832835_YGCdw-1200x1200.jpg

#1c
1202830930_X7WjE-1200x1200.jpg

#2 Same view with four shots wide

1200954882_XzMZJ-1200x1200.jpg

Hope to get a few in other places Monday.

Comments

• chuck54chuck54 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Beautiful.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    It is so crisp and clear...beautiful! The snow gives the extra punch.
  • ZiesmannZiesmann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 28, 2011
    very well done pano thumb.gif

perhaps the application of a polarizing filter might add to the beauty headscratch.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Nice panos.

The first one is over saturated though. The rocks are too red and there is way too much blue saturation. This is especially noticeable in the shadows and the water in the center of the frame.

The second one is exposed very nicely - just wish there was more room at the top of the frame. The mountains seem crowded so close to the top of the image and I would have liked to see more of the cloud.

Great spot to shoot!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    Great panos! Excellent comps. I agree with Aaron that the saturation could be dialed back a bit in the first one.

Regards,
    -joel
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    chuck54 wrote: »
    Beautiful.

Thank you
    Eia wrote: »
    It is so crisp and clear...beautiful! The snow gives the extra punch.

Thanks for the compliments! It was very bright. I had been driving with sun glasees for quite awhile, then suddenly saw this, pulled over fast and jump out to catch it and couldn't see my settings worth a darn. So I started shooting and hoped I had something right.
    Ziesmann wrote: »
    very well done pano thumb.gif

perhaps the application of a polarizing filter might add to the beauty headscratch.gif

Thank you, I had the UV filter on for #1 using a 55-250. What would I gain from the polarizer in this case? I usually think of cutting down glare and haze.
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Nice panos.

The first one is over saturated though. The rocks are too red and there is way too much blue saturation. This is especially noticeable in the shadows and the water in the center of the frame.

The second one is exposed very nicely - just wish there was more room at the top of the frame. The mountains seem crowded so close to the top of the image and I would have liked to see more of the cloud.

Great spot to shoot!

Glad you like them, Aaron.
    Yep, a bit over Sat. on #1. Thought I was back in Minnesota in a Hamm's beer commercial for a moment I guess. :D I'll have to put some more time into it.
    #2 Just shot a single row so missed a bunch of sky. I would like more too. A little work in PS could fix that pretty easy.
    kdog wrote: »
    Great panos! Excellent comps. I agree with Aaron that the saturation could be dialed back a bit in the first one.

Regards,
    -joel

Appreciate the compliment Joel. I like blue, but is a bit much, agreed. Did these real quick before bed last night on the laptop, not sure what I was seeing then.

I've got a few more from today in Sedona to put up soon. I think you'll like them.
    Thanks all!
    Dave
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Bump: New dialog up top