Questions on Canon 1D(xxx) series weather sealing

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Cameras
Okay, so, after going out in a blizzard for 2 1/2 hours with a 5D Mark II, two days of fairly constant shooting later it stopped working all the sudden. I had it repaired and Canon said the power supply had gone bad. No reports of any water damage or corrosion whatsoever, which leads me to believe the timing of it all was just coincidence with the blizzard outing.

However, that got me thinking. How much better is the weather sealing in the 1DS series? Personally I'd want a 1DS Mark III to keep the IQ I have with the improved body... but... I can't really justify $3K extra just for weather seals that aren't all that great from what I've read anyway.

So... to my question to anyone with 1DS Mark III experience... can it match up to this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-RAzBjakk

If it can't (Which I sorta suspect it can't) I'd rather buy that camera with 3 DA star lenses, which are bloody incredible in their own right, for the same cost and having more useful in camera features. Or, I'd rather get a new 625D for $10k new than a mark III for $6-7k new.

Any thoughts comments or examples on this are welcome.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    The Canon 1D and 1Ds series camera have o-rings and neoprene seals and are a very good water-shed. They are designed to be used in several inches of rain per hour.

These cameras are designed to be used in 85% humidity or less:
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iv#Specifications

In order to have the highest level Canon dSLR weather sealed system you need:
    • Either the 1D or 1Ds body.
    • A lens with seals. (Many, but not all, "L" series lenses are weather sealed.)
    • A sealed filter for the front element (for most lenses that are otherwise sealed.)
    • All seals have to be properly maintained.

The Canon 5D MKII uses some neoprene seals and a few o-rings but it also has foam seals that are less impervious and not intended for constant exposure to rain. The 5D MKII is likewise rated for 85% humidity:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/specifications.html#23

I recommend using an extra water-shed for any camera that needs to be used in the rain or snow, with the possible exception of cameras designed for water submersion or cameras in a specially designed water-proof container/case/housing.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks Zig... the snow is easy to manage if you let your camera freeze first, it just bounces off :D

Rain, mud, and dust are my archenemies, though. Bags + silica gel for the jungle lol
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks Zig... the snow is easy to manage if you let your camera freeze first, it just bounces off :D

Rain, mud, and dust are my archenemies, though. Bags + silica gel for the jungle lol

If you were out in true "blizzard" snow conditions, and the night of Feb. 1, 2011 certainly qualifies in northern Illinois, the blowing snow has a lot of very fine particulates that will blow right into a camera. Given enough time the internal accumulation can be enough to create a fair amount of moisture when the camera warms.

I don't think that's what happened in this case but don't discount how fine snow can invade even the best camera technology.
    ziggy53
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    I've heard of people cleaning their 1-Series's under a fountainrolleyes1.gif Seriously. I don't know if they were joking or not, but I'm gonna pass on that for now, thanks.

Personally I'd get a 1Ds2, they're cheaper than the 5D2 and 16.7mp. I bet the 5D2 is slightly better IQ, but I doubt it's much. I'd rather have a 1Ds2 than a 5D2, but I'd love to have both.
    edited February 28, 2011
    I've heard of people cleaning their 1-Series's under a fountainrolleyes1.gif Seriously. I don't know if they were joking or not, but I'm gonna pass on that for now, thanks.

Personally I'd get a 1Ds2, they're cheaper than the 5D2 and 16.7mp. I bet the 5D2 is slightly better IQ, but I doubt it's much. I'd rather have a 1Ds2 than a 5D2, but I'd love to have both.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II

Its got a lot going for it
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011

They fail to mention the better build, higher fps, and way better AF of the 1Ds2.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    The high ISO files of the 5DMKii will be much better( less noiser ) than the files of the 1DsMkii (at ISOS > 400 ).

But I would be careful about snow and water with a 5DMKii. My 5D would routinely turn its files black and splotchy in sustained cold rain.

Get a real rain coat for your camera and avoid the issue entirely would be my recommendation. A real rain coat for your present camera will be cheaper, and work even better than a used 1series..

Even the 1Series bodies will fail in enough rain, I suspect. I am careful with my 1DMK4 in that circumstance.

The pros shooting in the rain at the NFL lines, use raincoats - maybe there is a reason.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 1, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The pros shooting in the rain at the NFL lines, use raincoats - maybe there is a reason.

5000 to 7000 reasons actually! lol

I think I'll get a Pentax K-5 if I'm going to do lots of rain and snow... they specifically purpose it for that and demonstrate dumping water all over it so I might as well go for it!
    edited March 1, 2011
    I'm gonna bite and get some optech sleeves... 2 for $7 is a nicer prospect than 1 for $7000.
  • 951porsche951porsche Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2011
    Overfocused, sorry to hear about your 5d2, but I would definitely attribute it to moisture damage. I have resurrected two 5d2's now, both victims of water damage, this first I made a video of on youtube. This latest one was salt water damaged and required a lot of parts. I have o say that the 5d2 and claims of being sealed are funny to me, the camera has numerous areas that are suspect to allowing moisture in. If you do plan on using your 5d2 in bad weather please make sure you protect it as much as possible! Areas of note in particular are the really poor placement of the coin battery compartment, it is not well sealed IMHO and it was placed in about the worst spot possible. If you use a battery grip on the camera, guess where all the water will run down the body to? the grip which will pool and hold water to allow it time to enter. The bottom plate is also a weak link as it is a thin plastic.

I recently worked on a 7D and it seems to be an improvement which is promising, I didn't have it fully stripped down but I did look for a coin battery slot and I didn't see one.

My personal preference is to use my Nikons for anything weather related over the 5D2. I'd highly recommend going to a 1D/1Ds if you work in weather....
  • WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Go the Pentax 645D route - fully weather sealed camera and so is the new 2.8/55mm lens.
    My 645D has copped a rouge wave at the beach and didn't miss a beat - I've seen Youtube videos of a 645D put on a table, covered in sand, then hosed of with a garden hose and then went on to shoot with it and the unit functioned perfectly.
    Apart from fully submerging it - the 645D should take anything nature can throw at.

Actually ..... forget the weather sealing, the resolution, colour rendition and clarity of the 645D using the 40 Mpixel Kodak sensor is reason enough to lash out if you've got that kind of $$ - the weather sealing is just a bonus :)
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com
    edited March 1, 2011
    Warped wrote: »
    the weather sealing is just a bonus :)

Yes it really is. Pentax is the most user friendly camera brand on the market, IMHO. They pack features and rock solid build into a reasonable price, and don't skimp out on anything. Plus, I love their lineups of limited oddity lenses. Best lenses in the world as far as I'm concerned. If they had a full frame released I'd buy it in a heartbeat and make the switch. The high ISO performance of 35mm DSLRs beats the pants off of all the medium format photograph samples I've seen, so 35mm does have a huge part to play in my arsenal no matter what even if I did get the 625D. That'd be my optimal/preferred camera setup. A Pentax KfullframeD and a 625D :)

Hopefully they release a firmware update for low light shooting... 1/2 the res for clean 3200 or 6400 ISO or something.
  • WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Yes it really is. Pentax is the most user friendly camera brand on the market, IMHO. They pack features and rock solid build into a reasonable price, and don't skimp out on anything. Plus, I love their lineups of limited oddity lenses. Best lenses in the world as far as I'm concerned. If they had a full frame released I'd buy it in a heartbeat and make the switch. The high ISO performance beats the pants off of all the medium format photograph samples I've seen, so 35mm does have a huge part to play in my arsenal no matter what even if I did get the 625D. That'd be my optimal/preferred camera setup. A Pentax KfullframeD and a 625D :)

Full frame ....ppfffft, why wait for a "small" full frame DSLR from Pentax when you can have the larger sensor in the 645D.

I very nearly switched to Nikon and a D3s - but bit the bullet and waited for the 645D - picked mine up November last year and so happy I went with that choice. USD$10K is a lot to pony up for a camera ..... but what a camera!
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com
    edited March 1, 2011
    Warped wrote: »
    Full frame ....ppfffft, why wait for a "small" full frame DSLR from Pentax when you can have the larger sensor in the 645D.

I very nearly switched to Nikon and a D3s - but bit the bullet and waited for the 645D - picked mine up November last year and so happy I went with that choice. USD$10K is a lot to pony up for a camera ..... but what a camera!

Um... I just said that... low light performance umph.gif something about ISO performance of 35mm beating the pants off the medium format

The noise in medium format cameras even at ISO 1000 is terrible compared to 35mm. Although the 625D seems to do well up to ISO1600 for professional use, I use ISO 2000-4000 regularly for indoor events... oh and blizzards after dusk. Lol.

Such as --> http://overfocused.smugmug.com/Weather/ChicagosBlizzard/15699607_CvABM#1177626485_Mfhxc
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Um... I just said that... low light performance umph.gif something about ISO performance of 35mm beating the pants off the medium format

The noise in medium format cameras even at ISO 1000 is terrible compared to 35mm. Although the 625D seems to do well up to ISO1600 for professional use, I use ISO 2000-4000 regularly for indoor events... oh and blizzards after dusk. Lol.

Such as --> http://overfocused.smugmug.com/Weather/ChicagosBlizzard/15699607_CvABM#1177626485_Mfhxc

Also don't forget that the lenses are much slower than full frame primes, which further reduces the low light capability.
    edited March 1, 2011
    5000 to 7000 reasons actually! lol

I think I'll get a Pentax K-5 if I'm going to do lots of rain and snow... they specifically purpose it for that and demonstrate dumping water all over it so I might as well go for it!

In the Pentax demonstration they "gently pour" the water over the camera and lens. In actual rain the water is coming at a much higher velocity and will create a higher pressure. A "camera raincoat" like Pathfinder recommends is a much better solution for a first-line defense against rain.
    ziggy53