My first stranger

MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited February 28, 2011 in People
Since discovering the 100 stranger project on here, I have been dying to find time to go out and try it out. So last Saturday I finally found time to go out and take some shots.

100-1.jpg

Michelle, was out taking her corgi Nola for a walk on the purple people bridge on this chilly day. She is orginaly from Newport, RI but now resides in Newport, KY As you can see Nola was alittle camera shy, but Michelle was nice enough to let me take her portrait. Thanks again Michelle for letting me tell your story and take your portrait!

Comments

• lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    ahh i wish i was not such a wuss, looks like a fun project!

really really love the processing on this. great shot!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    AWESOME!

Congrats on your first Stranger. Great shot and well processed.

As I suspect others are interested in doing this project, can you share how you approached her? It would be cool to hear your technique. I can share mine but let's hear your's first.

@Melissa... quit being a wimp! That's the point of the project. To get out of your comfort zone. I think you'd do great. DO IT!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Yay! What a gorgeous portrait and I'm envious that you got one this weekend. How did you like the experience?

I totally chickened out this weekend on approaching strangers... :hide
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    I totally chickened out this weekend on approaching strangers... :hide

Even with the cards? The first is the hardest. It gets easier with each one after.

My Smug Site
  • MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the compliments!!! I must have walked around about an hour before I approached anyone. I really find kind of like a creep carrying a camera. Since I was near an aquarium and there were a ton of kids around. I didn't want to seem like some kind of weird'o. So I went to the other side of the complex where there is a bridge crossing the river.
    I noticed another stranger had complimented the lady on her dog and she seemed like a really nice lady. I just approached her and asked if I could I could take a minute of her time. I explained the project and told her it was to help me get better working with strangers and maybe meet some new people. She was happy to help and a really nice lady.

This is a new challenge for me so far. I am traveling as light as possiable. Camera and a 50mm, no flash nothing. It was alot of fun and nerve racking. I love and I can't wait until it gets warmer here!!

I was shooting on Apeture Priotity. So everything would be quick and fast for the stranger. How do you ladies and gents set up your camreas?
    edited February 28, 2011
    I get what you're saying about giving the "creep" vibe but you shouldn't feel this way. I remind myself that I am a legitimate photographer. Amateur but legit none the less. I don't ever hide the fact that I have a a camera or that I am taking photos of people. If I get the impression someone is bothered by me I will engage in conversation with them and let them know what I am doing. Often I just ask if they mind if I take a photo with them in the frame. Other times I just start chatting with them. I will sometimes run across someone I can tell doesn't want me taking pictures of them and if so, I make it real obvious that I have no intentions of shooting them.

As for my strangers, so far the ones I've shot, I've approached them and started casual conversations with them. First, this helps to break the ice. Second, I am already half way to complete my stranger assignment with them since I am learning stuff about them. Finally, I will try to get the topic onto photography. This is so easy. I simply start fussing with my camera as I'm talking to them and so far, they are the ones that will ask if I am a photographer, or make a comment about my camera. That's my in... I then tell them about the project and ask if they would let me photograph them.

As for my gear... I carry my Nikon D700 with my Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 lens. I typically have my flash attached but this last one I left it at home. BTW, I pretty much go every where with my camera. I've considered getting a small lens like the 50mm just because my 28-70 is so freaking big.

Shooting mode for me is almost always in Aperture priority. Especially for this type of thing. I also shoot either wide open or close to it. I am also finding that shooting in Continuous-servo AF really helps. Some people get real fidgety when asked to be photographed and it helps especially with large apertures.

My Smug Site
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    @Melissa... quit being a wimp! That's the point of the project. To get out of your comfort zone. I think you'd do great. DO IT!!

I am a wimp!

ok i promise you this: the next time I get out of my house with my camera and without kids I will grow a pair. :D
    edited February 28, 2011
    lilmomma wrote: »
    I am a wimp!

ok i promise you this: the next time I get out of my house with my camera and without kids I will grow a pair. :D

Cool beans. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

My Smug Site
  • MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    As for my gear... I carry my Nikon D700 with my Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 lens. I typically have my flash attached but this last one I left it at home. BTW, I pretty much go every where with my camera. I've considered getting a small lens like the 50mm just because my 28-70 is so freaking big.

Most all the time when I am shooting something, I always have light stands, umbrellas, and tons of other crap. I am not a very good natural light shooter. I am sure I will have to fire up the sb-900 for some fill sometime but it will be with out a modifier. Something I have never done.
    lilmomma wrote: »
    I am a wimp!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!