Ellwood in Infrared

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Landscapes
I went out over the weekend hoping to improve this image. I was hoping that the storm that brought snow to the Hollywood sign would bring some great clouds for a sunset. There were amazing clouds, but as I looked out over the ocean they were all behind me. The clouds over the ocean were way off on the horizon, screwing up the whole sunset. So, that was a bust. But I did manage to give my new IR converted Canon S90 a little run.

1200267322_YPrvJ-L.jpg

1200267418_hadqg-L.jpg

1200267591_GrhSX-L.jpg

1200267688_idUWT-L.jpg

1200267754_ZwHnS-L.jpg

1200267811_FQrBU-L.jpg

1200268079_r4hkt-L.jpg

1200268162_WerwB-L.jpg

1200268246_ccBxd-L.jpg

I was also shooting with my very newly arrived Horizon Perfekt. That as black and white film. I processed the film in my bathroom the next day (first time doing that in decades!), but have yet to scan any of it.

As always, critique is welcome.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    very nice David,
    have been thinking of getting my old 350 converted to ir.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks, Phil!

I'm really glad my IR camera is a P&S, not another DSLR. I fear that if it were that large I'd be hesitant to take it out in the field, or grab it from the bag. As it is, I've got it carabinered to my shoulder strap on the camera backpack, so it's just too easy to grab. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Nice series of images. Good point about the small size benefit for an IR camera; my D70 hasn't been taken out much due to its sheer size when added to my other camera (s) that I normally cary!

I think my favorite is the single flower one.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Nice work! #4 is my favorite with those amazing clouds and nice shadows across the path.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Hey David. Love #4. Where did you take these? Is this in SB?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks, all!

AC, it's in Goleta. You ever want to head out on a weekend, lemme know. I'm still looking to improve that sunset shot. deal.gif

20110225-rmy8mpxgu68rw7h2i7qcxyep5s.png
    Moderator Emeritus
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    For crying out loud... I was just in Goleta the weekend before last at a baby shower of all things. I had planned on dropping the wife off and then looking for someplace to shoot but I ended up getting trapped there.

Hey... I'd love to go shoot. I'm looking to get my hands on some GND filters in the next couple of weeks. Maybe we can set something up this month. I need to check with the boss though to see what plans she's made for me over the next few weekends. Also, we got the wild flower thing at the end of the month. Maybe before then?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 28, 2011
    Sure thing. Let's talk offline. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    David - Count me in on #4 but I also like #5 a lot. Amazing how those clouds can dwarf the landscape.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    good stuff, if I had to pick a winner I would say #4
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Really cool effects present in all these. I'm use to viewing IR in color on machinery with hot spots, so I'll have to just savor all and not pick a winner for now.
    Looks like fun. Oh, here we go with another new wish list...