Dont know exactly where to ask...but I gotta ask :(

MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
edited March 14, 2011 in Cameras
I'm having a HUGE dilema here...
I started to notice that I'm getting a very thin white line...looks like a laser line on some of my photos...but I'm unsure if it's my camera or the lens that I got off Craig's list...
it seems to be (right now...I've gotta check my other lens) that its only happening in LOW light situations, and with my 200mm lens.
Here is the deal:
Photos taken in daylight or brighter situations with the lens in question- no line
Photos taken in darker conditions with lens in question- sometimes, sometimes not. :dunno
so I'm to assume it's the camera?
Someone said it looked like a dust drag, but I cleaned the camera and it's still there, and it is consistantly in the same spot over and over.
here is what it looks like (the line is about 2/3rd over to the right)
DSC_0141.jpg
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)

Comments

• MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Here is the same lens...a little darker conditions but still had light...and no line
    DSC_0159.jpg
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I can't tell from the single photo, but is the line in the same area each time? Just wondering if the camera sensor has experienced any damage from laser light? Here's a video of what I'm mentioning right at 7 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0TgaGePhJA
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    that's gotta be the sensor I think..a scratchs on the lens never have that kind of definition. also I THINK I see the line in the dog picture..look at the bottom of the blue bowl? Try playing with your iso to modulate the behavior.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I'll go with sensor also. I don't know how that would have happened, but you might want to send it in to Nikon.
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Yes,
    it seems like sensor to me as well.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Would this happen if the shutter curtains were sometimes out of sync, or sticking?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    If it was dust drag, it'd be horizontal. And that's on a film camera:D
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Clean your sensor and see if that helps.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Looks like something is scratched.
    See if it goes away at larger f stops and is more pronounced at smaller f stops.
  • ABSABS Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Scratched??
    zoomer wrote: »
    Looks like something is scratched.
    See if it goes away at larger f stops and is more pronounced at smaller f stops.
    I agree Zoomer, CCD may have been scratched when cleaning and maybe dragging a piece of dust under the cleaning tool.

ABS9496500-Ti.gif
    ABS
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Clean your sensor and see if that helps.

15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif if it turns out to be a scratch, it should be the sensor FILTER....not the sensor......but a really good wet cleaning (copper Hill Method) would be the way to go....need to keep a Copper Hill kit around anyway, all sensor filters need a godd cleaning from time to time......I wind up doing mine about every couple of months when doing tons of outdoor shooting......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    Seems to me that the edges of this strip are too clean and regular to be caused by a scratch.

It also seems to occur intermittently, and perhaps that is unrelated to exposure settings.

The shutter curtains cross the sensor with just such a precise vertical edge. It looks like a few pixels width of slight overexposure, which is not contrasty enough to be visible in bright images. Should one of the shutter curtains sometimes stick for a fraction of a second in that same spot it would cause such a defined band of overexposure.

Maybe...

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks for all your input!
    I'm going to have to call around and see if I can find someone to clean it for me. Robscomputer- ya the line is in the same exact spot every time, but I dont see it on the dog photo. It could be there all the time, but I'm only seeing it when I'm taking photos in comprimised light situations.
    About having contact with a laser...would it affect this camera if someone were to say...take pictures of a laser tag team in action?
    The reason I ask is because the kid my husband bought this camera from (a year ago) told him his mom got it for him while he was in college for taking pics of either his laser tag team or his paint ball gun team...I dont remember which but now I'm worried!
    also, this camera only came with the 18-55m and I've never noticed this at all with that lens, it seems to only happen when I'm using the 200...and I'll die a very slow death if I come to find out that this lens is bad because it's my len's of choice and it was bought very very cheap and I'll never get this deal again :(
    edited March 7, 2011
    I can't tell from the single photo, but is the line in the same area each time? Just wondering if the camera sensor has experienced any damage from laser light? Here's a video of what I'm mentioning right at 7 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0TgaGePhJA

Holy Balls....thats what this freaking line looks like :cry
    just much much much more faint.
    how it just starts very faint like a dot and then goes down...just like on my pics.
    wow, I'm bummed so bad right now :(:
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Holy Balls....thats what this freaking line looks like :cry
    just much much much more faint.
    how it just starts very faint like a dot and then goes down...just like on my pics.
    wow, I'm bummed so bad right now :(:

Sorry to hear of your issue. That definitely looks like laser damage. :( If the kid bought the camera for shooting laser tag pics, you can bet that he and his friends thought it would be cool to shoot at the camera while posing. They probably took a bunch of pics and purposely tried to get the laser to "show up" in their pics. I have a feeling that sensor has been assaulted over and over again and they didn't know any better. I might say something about it if I were you and at least try to get your money returned but I guess it's too late after a year. :(
    edited March 14, 2011
    ya, it's def been over a year, well I guess I've learned a hard lesson...one of lifes hard knocks...don't buy expensive gear off kids who are enrolled in college but play laser tag and wear their pants hanging off their butts and their baseball hats sideways! lol
    I just wonder why the line only shows up when I shot in dark situations...that part is what gets me. If it is a regular daylight shot it wont show up...only when it's dark outside or the light is comprimised...or it's just so faint in all the pics I can't or dont' notice it.
    oh well, now I know I have to save for a new camera.
    such is life! well my life anyway :(
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Two words for you: Photoshop Action

Edit: Sorry. Didn't mean for that to sound snarky. Too bad about your troubles, but seriously, you can create an action to heal any affected images since it always affects the same place.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.