Options

Newer wides compared to Canon 17-35mm L (market value?)

ColoradoCanonColoradoCanon Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 28, 2011 in Accessories
Hello DGrinnners....first post...I'm looking for some insight.

I'm looking to add a lens to my bag and wanting to get a nice wide-angle zoom lens. I primarily shoot landscape, family portraits, and concerts. I like to utilize existing light in my portraits. I currently have a Canon 7D, EF 50mm 1.4/f USM, and EF 28-135 IS USM.

I'm open to buying new or used and have a budget of $700.

In reading through this forum several times over, I've focused my search on the following lenses to the following:

Canon EF 17-40 USM L (used)
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF Pro DX II

Due to the ambient lighting desires for my portraits, I believe that I need to stay focused on the 2.8 apertures.

And I have an opportunity to buy an 8 yr old, good condition Canon 17-35mm L. The guy is asking $750. I've got him down to $700, but not sure if this is the right lens in comparison to the newer ones on the market.

I'd love your insight on which may make the most sense for my budget and if the Canon 17-35mm L is appropriately priced.

Cheers!
Dave

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    The Canon EF 17-35mm, f2.8L USM is more of a "standard" zoom lens on a crop 1.6x camera body, like the Canon 7D. It should be capable of very high quality images in that the center of the lens is being used and you avoid the lens borders and corners.

Other lenses you should consider:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF)
    Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD

Of these, the Canon and the Sigma also provide image stabilization, but they all provide a somewhat better range of focal lengths than the 17-35mm.

The Canon 17-35mmL is a truly nice zoom and can produce excellent results but I am speaking to lens value and I do think that the other lenses can provide that better value.

As far as prices, I do think that $700 for a good condition Canon 17-35mmL is more than reasonable. If the lens tests well on your camera it's a viable consideration.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums