ADVICE on CLeaning Film SLR

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited February 28, 2011 in Cameras
I have a Nikon EM Film SLR

It hasnt been used in probably 15 years. I got it from a family member.

I'm looking into using it again. are there anything I should look for when it comes to starting to use a camera this old again? Should i have the lens, and camera cleaned? and if so? How do i go about doing that?
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    I just blast film bodies with an air compressor (with an in line moisture filter) and that usually does a really good job of particle control (of course while film isn't in it)

If it's grime on the inside, find out if the lens is worth even having it serviced. Some older lenses can be bought in excellent condition for less or close to what it would cost for the labor to have it cleaned out. Its possible to sell a dirty lens and buy the same one back in great condition for not too much extra and offset the cost of it all.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    Ideally, you would want to send the camera in to Nikon for a CLS, Clean, Lubricate and Service. What most people do is simply try the camera and observe problems with the critical moving parts like the shutter and mirror mechanisms.

Check flash sync by opening the back of the camera while you trip the shutter and fire the flash at different shutter speeds. Start with slow shutter speeds and then watch to make sure that the shutter clears the image frame during the faster speeds, up to normal sync (1/90th).

Check the battery compartment for leakage and corrosion. Clean if necessary and replace the batteries.

Clean the viewfinder with normal lens cleaning technique and clean the lens itself for dust and fingerprints.

Check the camera back for worn or decomposing seals. Bad seals will cause light leaks but decomposing foam seals need to be removed and cleaned so that the foam-goo, if present, doesn't get on the film or camera interior.

Do not try to lubricate anything yourself. If the camera binds or sticks anywhere it really does need service.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    All of what Ziggy mentions, especially the comment about the light seals. Over time, the foam rubbery stuff which constitutes the light seals will combine with air and become gooey. These seals can be serviced/replaced (check KEH.com) I traded in some Minolta film bodies a couple of years ago, and they'd all suffered from "seal rot" except the Nikonos. Good luck!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau