Options

Does this sound like spam?

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited March 2, 2011 in Weddings
Just curious if you guys think I should respond.... It doesn't mention Nigeria, :rofl... But I took out the names just in case it is actually legit. Whoever he is, he doesn't have very good grammer. I feel sorry for anyone living on Adak though. haha.
Name: Email: Phone: Not provided

Wedding Date: Mar 29, 2011
My name is XXXXXX,i live in ADAK AK(USA).I am presently in London(UK)but probably will be moving back home soon and i'll be getting married shortly after my arrival in the states to my fiance XXXXX. We will need a wedding/party Photographer to help us in making up our ceremony from the church to the hotel reception.We will like to find out what your plans are for TUESDAY,March,29,2011.This is the date of our wedding so kindly let us know your availability for this day.We'll take responsibility for your expenses regarding our plans.we might not be able to meet you soon as planned,due to our unavailability in the states but,we are willing to retain the date, that's to make deposit for booking prior we to our arrival to be sure we are interested in your service,if we really are.Waiting to get your response.

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    dunno..nothing is screaming spam at me except for the bad writing. They do mention dates and willing to pay a deposit *shrug*.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Hard to say for sure. It totally smells like spam, and is worded so much like a typical "Nigerian scam", but maybe it's not. Just the fact that it doesn't mention Nigeria makes me think it's all good!

If you start checking into it, be very wary when they start talking about the logistics of delivering the money to you. If it starts getting at all fishy, then that's a big red flag. The scammers are relentless. But really, this may not be a scam. But it might be. But it may not be. But it might be.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    It might be one of these schemes where they ask for your bank account number so they can "wire" the money to you. What they really do is empty your account. Alternatively, they might try the scheme where they ask you to accept a check for more than the deposit, and refund them the difference. Of course their check is no good, and so you're out the difference.

But it could be on the level as well. There's no harm in pursuing it further to see what happens next. I would ask them to send you a check for the exact amount of the deposit. If they do, and the check doesn't bounce, then you have their business. Or you could have them Paypal the money to you. Either way there is plenty of time to find out if their money is good. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

BTW, it's grammar, not grammer. :giggle
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    That's spam.

x2thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    kdog wrote: »

BTW, it's grammar, not grammer. :giggle
    Okay... so now I am totally resisting the urge to fix it... aaaack.... not... gonna... do... it!:twitch

Meanwhile... I dunno, I might check it out... but to be honest, I am fine with not shooting a wedding in March in Adak.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Ha, I received an email like that a good while back, worded almost exactly the same. I was shooting rodeos at the time, not weddings headscratch.gif. Two other rodeo togs got the same email request, so we were able to collectively decide the emails to us were a scam.

YMMV
    Randy
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Smells spammy to me. Just ask them for a phone number to call them in London and discuss it more...see what happens. When they ask you to cash a money order and mail them the rest of the money then you will know for sure! BAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    100% Spam

I've gotten these - it's totally spam.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    There's one similar to this posted on The Knot. They are supposedly having a wedding in Cairo, but all the Egyptian wedding photog's have boring styles, so they want an American photog. blah blah blah. Spammy scammy.

However.....I can recommend a way to have fun with this. Email them back, play dumb, or play gullable. If you realize that it's a scam for sure, this is where the fun comes in. Use their lack of English skills and lack of American cultural knowledge to further confuse them. Say things like... "If I come shoot this wedding, can I bring along my new puppy, Skelter? He is well behaved, and almost potty trained. Also, I would really like to photograph the bride doing the traditional American slam dance with the groom, during the reception. Sometimes it gets a little bit bloody, but I keep a Tide stain stick with me anyways. If all this sounds good to you, I would love to do business!"
    Then they write back(because they are desperate to scam you), and you further play with their minds, and waste their time. It's really fun.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    There's one similar to this posted on The Knot. They are supposedly having a wedding in Cairo, but all the Egyptian wedding photog's have boring styles, so they want an American photog. blah blah blah. Spammy scammy.

However.....I can recommend a way to have fun with this. Email them back, play dumb, or play gullable. If you realize that it's a scam for sure, this is where the fun comes in. Use their lack of English skills and lack of American cultural knowledge to further confuse them. Say things like... "If I come shoot this wedding, can I bring along my new puppy, Skelter? He is well behaved, and almost potty trained. Also, I would really like to photograph the bride doing the traditional American slam dance with the groom, during the reception. Sometimes it gets a little bit bloody, but I keep a Tide stain stick with me anyways. If all this sounds good to you, I would love to do business!"
    Then they write back(because they are desperate to scam you), and you further play with their minds, and waste their time. It's really fun.

#1, who has time? #2, every contact you make with these people opens you to more.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    #1, who has time? #2, every contact you make with these people opens you to more.

Everyone has time for occasional entertainment. That's how I look at the concept. Entertainment.

..and of course, I would never email with them unless they already had my email address, and I had written them back already to see for sure if it's spam scam.

It was just a suggestion. Don't take it too seriously.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    That's spam.

Yup thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is so quick to say they are 100% certain it is spam. There are these people, who live in the US, who know english as there second language, or had a bad education... I know, its hard to believe there are people who dont have perfect grammar deal.gif

Although if you have something more legit looking to do, I would pass on this one. But if you do want to do it, ask for detailed info and verify if everything is real. If you accept a deposit, do it threw PayPal to protect yourself

C'mon, It's a 100% SPAM! I get at least 10 of these a day. I've been asked to be a Planner, a Caterer, a Limo service and even Chicken Chef, YES! Laughing.gif

There should be really some kind of a place where you can report it, is there?? All you have to do is GOOGLE the name and see what happens, it's that simple. deal.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011

There is a website with all the letters written to spammers, it's hysterical! You can tell them you're not available that MONTH, but you will be able to recommend another vendor (give them another spammer email) wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    ShepsMom wrote: »
    I've been asked to be a ... and even Chicken Chef, YES! Laughing.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    ShepsMom wrote: »
    There is a website with all the letters written to spammers, it's hysterical! You can tell them you're not available that MONTH, but you will be able to recommend another vendor (give them another spammer email) wings.gif

Hey, what is your email addy? :gigglemwink.gifhide
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is so quick to say they are 100% certain it is spam. There are these people, who live in the US, who know english as there second language, or had a bad education... I know, its hard to believe there are people who dont have perfect grammar deal.gif

Although if you have something more legit looking to do, I would pass on this one. But if you do want to do it, ask for detailed info and verify if everything is real. If you accept a deposit, do it threw PayPal to protect yourself

15524779-Ti.gifagreethis is where I was going....my grammar is terrible, even after 4 semisters in college, so I never dismiss on account of bad grammar.........

I do not have any idea where Adak is but if you have to fly in then they pay for it......if you blow it off some other photog will take it at some point......it never hurts to take the leap.......use paypal for deposit add the extra for fees and that is not included in final price.....using paypal keeps them from getting any banking or merchant account info about you.....leave the deposit in the paypal account just in case they want a refund or stir up trouble thru paypal.......as late as it is (just 28 days way) deposit needs to be a min of 1/2 of your fee and the balance due no less than 14 days prior to wedding...........Pay it out for them like that and see if it comes thru...also check out the Adak white pages for their surname...if it was his/her home their might be some family left there........

Really what could it hurt......

I have never received any emails like this that were spam.......on photography.....

....I did receive a counterfit check for over $5K for 6 months worth of Reiki Treatments.....this was from a supposed Boeing employee bringing his sick mother to the U.S. from China ....the check arrived 2 Days after I sent him and estimate for the treatments and I asked for payment thru PayPal.....it was a Wells Fargo Bank Cashiers Check......I turned it over to the FBI, filled out a ton of paper work and have not heard from the FBI since......it has been about 2 yrs ago......I have a friend that works in personnel at Boeing to check out the name.....it was the name of a deceased Chinese worker from about 35 yrs ago......the Fed EX envelope said it originated at a Boeing Facility in Indiana...........the fed ex account number was an active Boeing acct number that was the only truthful part to my transaction...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Looks like spam, smells like spam, don't taste it just to be sure !

My daughter and her husband both work in the banking industry, he told me that checks can bounce LONG after you deposit them, months and months. They see weird scams all the time. I am wondering if there is a sure fire way to protect yourself? maybe make him use western Union?? Cashier checks are NOT foolproof, and I would not accept one under these circumstances.
    My guess is that this guy will send you MORE $$$ than he needs to, and then ask you to refund some of the "deposit" back to him, and that is where you get robbed because the check he sent to you will bounce, maybe even 6 months later.
    IF you were to follow up on this lead, I would ask if he has an account with a local bank if you get to that point. Be wary if he seems very willing to give you a very large deposit.
    Come to think of it did he mention anything that would tell you he has really looked over your web site?

This person's grammar seems like a foreigner, not just someone with more important things on his mind.

On another note, I once saw this web site where there was an ongoing challenge to reply at great lengths to a spammer, string them along and eventually get them to send a photo of themselves holding up a sign that you have directed them to write, something that makes them look like an utter fool, they have no idea what it means. The images posted and the sign creativity are quite entertaining, but it takes a ton of patience to do it, but fun for people like me to read, a real hoot.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    dunno..nothing is screaming spam at me except for the bad writing. They do mention dates and willing to pay a deposit *shrug*.

funny, it is screaming to me !!!:spam:spam:spam
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011

I would totally do that! rolleyes1.gif
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Everyone has time for occasional entertainment. That's how I look at the concept. Entertainment.

..and of course, I would never email with them unless they already had my email address, and I had written them back already to see for sure if it's spam scam.

It was just a suggestion. Don't take it too seriously.

They may or may not have your e-mail address - some of this stuff is computer-generated, but once you reply, yes, they definitely now have your e-mail address and know there's someone at the other end.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    They may or may not have your e-mail address - some of this stuff is computer-generated, but once you reply, yes, they definitely now have your e-mail address and know there's someone at the other end.

+1!!! I was just about to say that... by responding you validate your email address.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I got that exact same email about a year ago - and yes it is a scam. I played along for a bit to have some fun with them but when I started asking a lot of personal questions they cut off contact.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I really need to reply to all these negative comments! Shame on all of you!

Spam is a wonderful product consisting of meat, meat by products, meat like substances, and enough fat in one can to last you through the winter.

Scam on the other hand is nasty!

Sam
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I'll have an order of eggs, bacon, sausgae and Spam, Spam, Spam Spam, Spam, Spam ......

Sorry after reading Sam's post I had a Monty Python flash back.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I got the same exact email from, get this, "Frodo the wood carver"...

Yeah. Didn't reply to that one.

HOWEVER, I blogged about it on my CameraTalk blog, and recently got an email from another photographer who said they got the same exact email, responded, and eventually received a check in the mail. The photographer tried to contact the client, the date passed, and the photog eventually successfully cashed the check. I warned them to BEWARE and remember that checks can bounce LONG after they are deposited, so don't spend the money, well, pretty much ever. I'd switch bank accounts even, if it's a main account. Or just use paypal, leave the money there, and just let it sit as an emergency fund. It'll probably get sucked right back out in a few months though, when the scammer does whatever the next step is in their efforts to get money out of you.

Either way, don't go for it. Honestly, unless you're a world-famous photographer, are we really so full of ourselves to think that someone would contact US to photograph a wedding or some other job, in another country? Take your ego down a couple notches and smell the recession + digital revolution.

BTW, "playing with" these scammers is actually a very big thing, and it HELPS STOP the scammer from preying on any number of other victims by taking up their time. http:419eater.com is the website with more info about this, I believe.

Jeff_Milo wrote: »
    I'll have an order of eggs, bacon, sausgae and Spam, Spam, Spam Spam, Spam, Spam ......

Sorry after reading Sam's post I had a Monty Python flash back.
    Baked beans are off.

Well can I have spam instead?
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum