Hamelin Bay - Western Australia

WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited March 2, 2011 in Landscapes
I had a weekend away riding (Honda CBR1100XX and 1000km in 24 hrs :D) and we camped overnight in a caravan park at Hamelin Bay in SW Western Australia.

I didn't have room in the bike bag for the 645D so took the old faithful K100D along and snapped these near sunset on the Saturday afternoon. Theres are stitches from multiple shots using the photomerge function in CS5

1199854334_dmvTK-L.jpg

1199856630_kEePn-L.jpg

1199858814_2PUij-L.jpg

1199861780_VBgD8-L.jpg

If you look closely in the 3rd pic there's 3 poles in the water and a person standing in the water near them - in front of that person is a dark shape in the water.
The shape is a large stingray - they come in to be fed each afternoon and can be hand fed, you put your hand underneath the front of them and they'll eat up any fish scraps you've got. If you're standing in the water they'll cruise right up to you and brush past your legs in the hopes of a hand-out ..... very cool to see and next time I'll make sure I've got some squid, prawns and fish bait with me to give them a feed.

Bit easier to see the person and the shape in the water here:
http://www.warped-photography.com/Other/Travel/Hamelin-Bay/15994932_Drhx6#1199858814_2PUij-X2-LB
If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
www.warped-photography.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Wow, that is a cool bit about the stingray! I've never seen those myself outside of an aquarium, and they are really awesome creatures. I couldn't imagine hand-feeding one. Sounds like something to add to the To Do list. :D
  • WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Wow, that is a cool bit about the stingray! I've never seen those myself outside of an aquarium, and they are really awesome creatures. I couldn't imagine hand-feeding one. Sounds like something to add to the To Do list. :D

They're not the best pics - but I'll post some up tonight of the stingray feeding shortly. Was a very cool thing to see and looking forward to giving it a go next time I'm down that way.
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com