Crossfit Bodies

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited March 2, 2011 in People
Some recent efforts from my 2nd shoot at the Crossfit Gym. C&C please Maestros.

Crossfit2-3-of-1.jpg

Crossfit2-12-of-13.jpg

Crossfit2-1-of-13.jpg

Crossfit2-11-of-13.jpg

Crossfit2-1-of-11.jpg

I would love to hear any and all critiques. Thanks so much.

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    1. Has potential but the lighting really bugs me... well, the lack of lighting I should say. Too much of her is in shadow. I get what you're going for here but I can see her. It could be that the photo is small and there is a lot of dead space to the sides. Her posture seems a bit forced too, but again, hard to tell.

2. Like the pose and POV but I think the lighting is too flat on her face. She looks like she was blasted by the flash. I would have positioned the lights so her face is either short it or broad lit, place the light low to the ground and above her head. Basically the same way I would light her face if she was sitting down in a chair. Maybe used some grids to focus the light and cause the shadows you want to add drama in a shot like this.

3. Like the pose. BUT... the shadow between his pecks makes it look like he has "moobs" - man-boobs for those of you that don't know what moobs are. I would have probably shot this one straight on, from a low angle shooting up. As for light, I would have used hatchet lighting - strobe to each side of him... also know as horror lighting.

4. Best one of them all. Don't like the rope(?) hanging down on his left and I don't like the shadow behind him. Again, I would have used hatchet lighting here but that's me.

5. Not feeling it. Lighting is really hot on her face. Also, not sure what the image is supposed to portray.. I don't think her pose and expression fits the lighting and location. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Hope this helps. Not trying to beat you up. Just giving honest feedback. Aside from my nits, I think your heading to have a really cool set... just need to work out some kinks.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Albert think angles when you are shooting these.
    Anytime you walk up and just shoot something, while you are standing there it adds nothing to the scene.
    Try to shoot things from different angles than a viewer would normally see them, this creates energy and more interesting photos.
    I know what you are going for with the lighting, think you are not quite there. I think a subtle backlight might help you get where you want to go with your look.
    Work in progress :).

I would love to do one of these shoots with you if you are interested, let me know.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    1. Has potential . Her posture seems a bit forced too, but again, hard to tell.

2. Like the pose Maybe used some grids to focus the light and cause the shadows you want to add drama in a shot like this.

3. Like the pose. BUT... - strobe to each side of him... also know as horror lighting.

4. Best one of them all. Don't like the rope(?) hanging down on his left and I don't like the shadow behind him. Again, I would have used hatchet lighting here but that's me.

5. Not feeling it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

No posing here at all. These folks are working out for real and I'm running around with a single strobe w a 30 degree grid grabbing 1/2 dozen frames of each technique they are performing. Dark is intentional, I should post some of the other shots I guess that have more fill. I just gravitated to the darker images as I thought it gave the feel I liked. I greatly value what you are saying though. It is a failure without a little mass appeal while still maintaining integrity of my vision! Thanks Man
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I like the first four.

Number five... just doesn't fit. It's awkward in a lot of respects. The cleavage, the expression, the position she's in, all awkward. Sorry. :/

Like I said, I like the first four though. Especially four because it shows the ridiculous challenge of the crossfit program but they're all good on their own.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited March 1, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Albert think angles when you are shooting these.
    Anytime you walk up and just shoot something, while you are standing there it adds nothing to the scene.
    Try to shoot things from different angles than a viewer would normally see them, this creates energy and more interesting photos.
    I know what you are going for with the lighting, think you are not quite there. I think a subtle backlight might help you get where you want to go with your look.
    Work in progress :).

I would love to do one of these shoots with you if you are interested, let me know.

Interesting that you said work the angles more. I was on ladders, hanging from gym equip., laying on my back, etc... to get through this shoot. Maybe these get that across better.

1202675370_FPGh4-L.jpg

Crossfit2-55-of-1.jpg

Crossfit2-54-of-1.jpg

1172135925_Lrwzg-L-1.jpg

1202676345_KfdC3-XL.jpg

Mike, if you want to come along you can. It would be fun. I have one more shoot scheduled with this gym in March. The date is still up in the air because I had to reschedule due to travel.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Of your second bunch I like 1 a lot. 1 has what appears, to me at least, to be about the right light mix.
    edited March 1, 2011
    So you guys want a more fully exposed image is what I am hearing.
    Just a dab of fill in #1 compared to #2

1202716464_9yR4x-XL.jpg

1202711233_mx4yL-XL.jpg
    edited March 1, 2011
    ^^ I think number two there and actually having some of the cinder block wall behind her lit up adds to the picture. Very cool.

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Really liking these last bunches. I'm with Mike on #1 of the guy on the rings. And number 2 of the last post.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited March 1, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    ^^ I think number two there and actually having some of the cinder block wall behind her lit up adds to the picture. Very cool.

So Wally, You say number 2 but like the lit up wall in number 1?
    edited March 1, 2011
    So Wally, You say number 2 but like the lit up wall in number 1?
    No sir, it's lit enough in number 2 :)

It just adds an extra element to help separate her from the background. thumb.gif

• GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Beautiful work. Knowing Crossfitters as well as I do, I am sure they love them. You've given me some inspiration for some of the Xfitters at my box. Have you joined the cult?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Pic 2 @ #8 spins my whirligig!:D

We talked at the start of your-this project about **distortion** - about things comin atya big and bold outa the dark and gritty gloom clangalingin and chokachokin and flingin sweat all over the strewy disarray... yeah, didn we, Albert?

Well, this is the first I've seen of it.rolleyes1.gif

And the job ain't even been handed to the WA yet... I can't wait till it has...

Neil the Musclemwink.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 2, 2011
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the input. Ya Neil, we talked and you are right about the gook and sweat stuff. It is coming along. I find that concensous here is vry different from other forums and from the clients where this work is concerned.

Gretchen,
    Glad you found some inspiration. That is the most awesome thing anyone could say. No I have not joined the cult but with this much exposure it is a temptation. Quite expensive as gyms go but the one on one training is awesome.

Albert
    edited March 2, 2011
    down dirty blood sweat tears body parts in ya face

das my for.moo.la for ya dude

rolleyes1.gif

Neil

edited March 2, 2011
    On the other hand it might make your clients puke. Maybe it really is the David in the Subway look they imagine.

Neil