Micro Cosmos

Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited March 6, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Okay, this is pretty quick and dirty compositing, but I thought I'd share. I was rushing to meet a midnight deadline to get it printed. (buy 1/get 1 free sale at my lab on big prints) Anyway, I have this in another thread in the Macro section, but thought I'd share it here too. The stars and moon are royalty-free NASA photos btw. This is a really simple setup with my bathroom faucet dripping into a small frying pan. I'm using 2 Speedlites with red and blue gels and of course a macro lens.

1202234955_92r4M-X2.jpg

Also, if you're interested, I have a whole series of water drops here:
http://robpauza.smugmug.com/Art/Water-Drops-2/15995217_HJNVn#1199883949_vBgBe

Thanks for looking. Comments good or bad are always welcome.

-Rob
-Rob Pauza
Rob Pauza Photography

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 1, 2011
    Great idea. clap.gifclap.gif There are a few nits I could pick, but I'm sure you're aware of them. I think the concept is terrific and you should go back and put some more work into it. thumb.gif
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Great idea. clap.gifclap.gif There are a few nits I could pick, but I'm sure you're aware of them. I think the concept is terrific and you should go back and put some more work into it. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard. I did indeed have some major nit picks myself. I should have waited until I fixed them to post in the first place. Anyway, I just did a little more to it. The main thing I did was add the mountains to the midground to make the out of focus area read as fog. And of course the moon looks a bit less "stuck on" now. Anyway... here's some more work....

1203233481_RgCVs-X2.jpg
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    OMG... All I can say is amazing.. I wish I could make stuff like this :)
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
    edited March 2, 2011
    dantambok wrote: »
    OMG... All I can say is amazing.. I wish I could make stuff like this :)

Thanks so much. The water drops actually aren't that hard to do. You just need a macro, a flash or two, some gels, and a lot of patience and/or luck.
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Really impressed with the work and look, very creative.
    I think you could bring some of the moon definition back. In the first image it helps create the illusion of more depth from the background. But then again I can see the mountains need to be in front of the moon, maybe. You'll get it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Wonderful work thumb.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Agreed, seriously nice work at it. Quite pleased to even see it. I have yet to
    even even try anything like it. Someday maybe. I hope so. Looks like a tough
    one to work out to final.
    Michael
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Thanks so much. The water drops actually aren't that hard to do. You just need a macro, a flash or two, some gels, and a lot of patience and/or luck.

I know... what i meant was the editing mwink.gif
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
    edited March 6, 2011
    Thanks so much guys. I'm thinking about doing a series of these type of images.... mixing the macro world with the real world. - i.e. "Two Worlds Collide" or something along those lines.

HDRoamer - Thanks for the comment. I was torn about that too and ultimately decided to make the moon a bit softer and smaller to give it less emphasis. I wanted the focus to be on the water and I felt that was competing too much. And also, as you said, to keep the focus falloff consistent.

Dogdots - Thank you so much

DaddyO - Thanks. I wish I could say that I had it planned out from the beginning, but I didn't. It was an afterthought.

dantambok - Oops. :) I'm sort of a Photoshop kind of guy, so that was the easy part. The concept is always the hardest for me and I've never tried macro photography, so that was another challenge.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography