First Real Portrait Attempt

frankco.frankco. Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited March 5, 2011 in People
This isn't a model, I didn't dress her up for the occasion and she had no makeup (this was her little bit of info she asked me to add lol). While i've been shooting for a couple of years (mostly outdoor photography), this is my first time using a small studio setup. Please some comments and critique would be appreciated. Thanks

Shoot through umbrella high camera left, white reflector camera right about 3 feet away from subject at 90 degree.

50mm, 1/250, f/5.6

5487682992_270b00e989_b.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Lighting is good, although the main is a tad hot... could be the crap monitor I'm using right now at work. The ratios between main and fill are great though. Shadows are nice although a little deep on the inside corner of her left eye. The biggest issue I have is with the pose. Her head tilt has created a nice view up her nose. Not too flattering. Really good job for your first shot of this type though. Keep working on it. Next time, get her gussied up too. She's an attractive lady, she deserves it.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I agree with all of the above expecially the nose comment. Look at your nose shadow and see how sharp the edge of shadow is. That generally means your light is too far away or your light is very small or both. (Since you used and umbrella your light should be large enough.) Close and big will soften the edge shadow. Try the light as close as you can just out of camera. Keep it on a 45 from the subject on a horizontal and vertical axis.
  • frankco.frankco. Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Thanks guys! I know the posing needs work...i just did a whole bunch of reading on it so that's my next thing to work on. Glad i am going in the right direction for the lighting.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    yup..pose her so we are not looking up her nose and get the umbrella as close as you can ..literally 18 in away woudl work. That is going to improve the qaulity fo the light and shadows dramatically.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 5, 2011
    Here's my second attempt, let me know what you guys think and if i am progressing.

5498571514_ae53746ae7_z.jpg
    edited March 5, 2011
    Can you see that the shadows are better in this one meaning not as harsh and sharp edged? Good job there but your angle is too low in my opinion also never let a person rest their weight on their hand. See how it bunches up the chin. Always turn a ladies head toward the light. You have her broad lit meaning more than half her face is facing the camera and is being lighted. Therefore the term broad light as in made her face fatter than it is. Do another exactly the same way then turn her head even more toward her front shoulder and the shadows you will get will slim her face.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Can you see that the shadows are better in this one meaning not as harsh and sharp edged? Good job there but your angle is too low in my opinion also never let a person rest their weight on their hand. See how it bunches up the chin. Always turn a ladies head toward the light. You have her broad lit meaning more than half her face is facing the camera and is being lighted. Therefore the term broad light as in made her face fatter than it is. Do another exactly the same way then turn her head even more toward her front shoulder and the shadows you will get will slim her face.

I can't see the first picture but the second one looks good lighting wise.
    Hackbone pretty much covered the nits above.
    edited March 5, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »

Awesome critique, thank you so much. By turning her head even more towards the front shoulder wouldn't even more light be hitting her face since my key light was camera left?
    edited March 5, 2011
    More light would then be hitting the short side of her face with the broad side being in shadow making the face slim. The would not be an increase in intensity if that is what you are referring to.
    edited March 5, 2011
    Here's another from the same shoot. Different pose. Shadows seem a little harsher below the nose.

5501414316_d186f12bd5_z.jpg