My first hand at some studio portrait - what do you think?

brokenvasebrokenvase Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited March 6, 2011 in People
1b2153a1-f30f-2948.jpg

1b2153a1-f321-a570.jpg

1b2153a1-f32f-25e9.jpg

1b2153a1-f33b-8fdd.jpg

Tell me what you think? Did I over do the lighting?

Originally uploaded here:
http://www.brokenvasephotos.com.au/Portfolio/Families/family-portraits/

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Not to be harsh but honest in hopes you'll know the rules. I'll only comment on the pink for me the little ones are too small to see. Your subject is front on......this makes the body broad, read that as fat, and no person wants to be seen that way. She is almost lit evenly on both sides of her face. Again this makes the face appear broad and the photograph then appears flat and fat. Keep away from the slouchies and really pay close attention to the hair as that is a very big item with females and a pain to retouch.

You have a good start you just need to learn some basics in posing. That is probably more important than the lighting. You have two great models to work with so try again soon.
  • brokenvasebrokenvase Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Thank you both for your honest opinions. I've never had formal training. Just reading and experimenting. Posing and lighting. Got it. Will pull back ok the left lights? Use reflector?

Yes Zoomer, its blurry because I was struggling with speed. Mikaela was too fast for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - brokenvasephotos.com
    edited March 1, 2011
    Sorry, just had a look again. Mikaela is super blurry because I screwed up the upload. Trying again...

1b2153a1-613d-9d69.jpg

1b2153a1-614f-e805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - brokenvasephotos.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    still very soft and the pose is nto very cute in #2. One of the hardest things to do is detach yourself emotionally from a shot..I am sure she is super cute to you but if you are presenting images to those who are not emtionally attached, then have to make an effort to look through their eyes.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 6, 2011
    Sorry. I blame iphone and tapatalk. The upload reduces the res too much! :P

The originals are not as soft as this... I didn't realise it until I looked at it with a PC here...
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Are going for high key?
    Asides from what Charles and Daniel already pointed out (very good solid advice) I think your off to a decent start ...
    Keep shooting.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo