Clouds from Lincoln Memorial

nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited March 6, 2011 in Landscapes
From this past Friday... wanted to avoid the Reflecting Pool as it is undergoing renovation. Just as I had thought, the sky provided a wonderful show.

C&C requested.

Storm%20Clouds%20from%20the%20Lincoln%20Memorial.jpg
Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/

Comments

• red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Neat! I realy love the sky and that's a new perspective of some very well photographed monuments.

I have a few suggestions. First is maybe crop it to pano without the fg (including Washington Monument) so it's just Lincoln and the sky. (super cool capture!) Possibly clone out the security camera? (that's beyond my personal skills, however).

Otherwise how would it look with a horizontal horizon? I know there's a lot of lens distortion (what length - 12 or so?) but the slope is bugging me.

Also, maybe it's my standard screen, but could you link to a smaller image?
    hey jake - thanks so much for the comments... when I get home and to photoshop i'll give them a whirl.

I kinda liked the camera (gives you a 'big brother' type of feel), but i can see how the shot can do without it.

the shot was at 17mm and cropped a bit, but i did like how the distortion pushed the washington monument a little more into the center of the frame. could be a personal thing though...

i could try to fix the distortion and then cut the fg leaving some of the monument and mr lincoln...

in any case, i'll give it all a shot and let you know. thanks again.

as for the size of the pic, i'm linking to my gallery (which doesn't currently have control over size). id like to limit the size within the post using some height and width tag, but i dont think its possible. ultimately, i think i'll post my links back to my smugmug account ......................
    Navin Sarma

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    yes, if you didn't have the verticle monument in the background in the image or better yet if you scaled the right side of the image so the monument is perpendicular to the columns. Not sure if that will work though, you may have to do a len correction adjustment on both the left and right side of the image. the clouds and the columns are the most dramatic elements in the image. It is difficult to get the monument working with the other two elements.
    really cool image though. I agree, clone out the camera.
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Definitely a different perspective. I'd suggest cloning out both the light as well as the security camera. They don't add any interest to the image & while minor, they are distracting.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Very nice!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    hey guys...

thanks so much for your comments. i made some changes based on your feedback. doesn't seem like the distortion is a hit, but it will take a bit more time with photoshop to correct it.

i brought more attention to the gravel in the foreground as well... trying to lead the viewer to the monument. how's that working for you?
    Navin Sarma