Options

3D Photography - Should we start thinking about this?

PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited March 10, 2011 in The Big Picture
I just saw the new Nintendo DS will have a 3D camera, and made me start to think. Is this going to be the next big thing in photography? I'm just catching up to photofusion, next photofusion + 3D

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I'm torn myself whether this will catch on. It depends on if 3D television catches on, as I see this as an obvious place to see a 3D photo. I can see Sony (which makes TV's, cameras, and camcorders) trying to push 3D photos and 3D HD home movies on your 3D television. And I've wondered if 3D track photography (car racing) would be a nice niche to get into.

But the pessimist in me says that 3D televsion is not going to take off. I really don't enjoy 3D movies all that much anyway. But the optimist in me says that I have looked into getting custom 3D Viewmaster reels made to do this sort of stuff with. I still have a warm spot in my heart over Viewmaster and the system is still available in the toy aisle.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 1, 2011
    I believe that 3D photography is inevitable, but I don't think it will become mainstream till the technology improves quite a bit.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    as long as you need special glasses to view them..will always remain a niche imo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    as long as you need special glasses to view them..will always remain a niche imo.

agree

although surely it won't be that difficult to build the effect from the glasses into a secondary screen just in front of the actual viewing screen.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 1, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    nod.gif
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011

Agreed.
    I hate wearing those glasses, over my Rx glasses.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I believe that 3D photography is inevitable, but I don't think it will become mainstream till the technology improves quite a bit.

It did not take off as expected with film...neither did stereo pix......3d has been around for a long time...old 3D was something, but movies like avatar left me unhappy....nothing really jumped off the screen....I believe it wil always be a special niche.......a local store sells several hundred 3D book marks every month....to kids at close to $10 a pop.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    PupWeb wrote: »
    I just saw the new Nintendo DS will have a 3D camera, and made me start to think. Is this going to be the next big thing in photography? I'm just catching up to photofusion, next photofusion + 3D

What do you think?

It may become fad-ish for a bit. but in truth, that is what we do in regular photography anyway, we give depth perception. Calling what we do 2D isn't true.
    tom wise
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    The other day my grandfather was telling me a story about going to see a 3d movie in the 1960's. 3d has been around FOREVER, a quick look at wikipedia shows that the first 3d movies were being shown in the 1920's! Ninty years later and 3d photos haven't become popular yet. I dont think you will ever get a person wanting 3d portraits, or 3d wedding photos, etc. A majority of people are not happy with the way they look in 2d, so yeah, I dont think 3d photos are ever going to become popular.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    Well, I, for one, am looking forward to continued enjoyment and use of my 95 cent red/cyan anaglyph glasses I picked up at American Science and Surplus a few weeks ago to view the occasional 3D pic or video on the net. :D
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    MoleieMoleie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I can see Sony (which makes TV's, cameras, and camcorders) trying to push 3D photos and 3D HD home movies on your 3D television.

I've been looking at Sony cameras reacently, all there newer compact cameras seem to incorporate 3D photography. Even the ones that only have one lens, wghich is kind of interesting. See it here

I guess it works well for them, if everyonere has a camera that can take 3D images they'll be morer likely to want to buy a TV that can display them. The same as blu-ray beating HDDVD because everyone had a PS3 that could already play them. Very clever.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    As with many here, I think 3D is going to be slow to catch on, and has a strong chance of never becoming main stream. Its not new, after all. Its been around for a very long time. You can find old 3D stereoscopes in antique shops. I grew up with Viewmasters, which you can still buy at most toy stores.

But until you can hang a 3D print on a wall and see it w/o needing glasses....
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    I hope that 3D just goes away, especially in the movie theatre. I really, really dislike it. Our eyes are simply not built to converge and focus like that, which is why it gives so many people headaches.

I don't see people rushing out to get 3D TVs, and the momentum will likely be lost. Look how long it took for color to overtake black and white in TV. Yet color had an inevitability to it. No matter how slowly people ponied up the money, there was no holding color back. Same with HD. But 3D doesn't have the same inevitability to it. You just don't need it the way you need color and higher resolution. Anyway, that's what I'm banking on, cause I'd love to see it stuck in its niche.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    But until you can hang a 3D print on a wall and see it w/o needing glasses....

You used to be able to get 3D prints from 3x5 to 8x10...and you did not need any special glasses.....pricey yes.....maybe that was just thru the Nimslo company.........but it has not really caught on in almost 100 yrs, so I do not see it happening anytime soon.......

Our new Imax theater is not getting the magnitude of business they had hoped for either......I have not been yet and missed the only movie so far I was interested in.......Sanctum.......ooooh weeell.....ne_nau.gifdunno
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    One thing floating through my mind is how on earth would you do serious post-processing on 3D images? Global edits would be simple enough, but local edits, can't get my head around that.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Really can't wait to see the first 3D, HDR photo of someone's grandma in her rocking chair. :puke1
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    One thing floating through my mind is how on earth would you do serious post-processing on 3D images? Global edits would be simple enough, but local edits, can't get my head around that.

You can try it out yourself without needing a "3d" camera.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-3D-Photos
    Todd - My Photos