Options

A Wedding Photog tries Boys Basketball (8 pics)

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited March 3, 2011 in Sports
I figured covering sports for a local online would be good practice with shooting motion and using the camera in servo, so I've been shooting basketball games. Lots of fun. Only used flash for one game and it was on camera, not sure off camera flash will fly in my area for games, but having experience with it in wedding situations I'd love to try it with basketball sometime. Here are some highlights.

1163464176_qXyyA-L.jpg

1163466819_BoWYr-L.jpg
Patterson High School's Aquille Carr...this kid is amazing.

1202537938_EgVTs-L.jpg

1202551493_dUvBN-L.jpg

1202548087_yvR6J-L.jpg

1202549674_pwrno-L.jpg

1202551020_FCx5S-L.jpg

1202555491_GTtzm-L.jpg

Comments and Critique always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Only thing I could find on MD's AA association web page was:

-Local jurisdictions may set their own guidelines on the use of flash photography during game action

Found it here: http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/wintersports/basketball%20bulletin.pdf#xml=http://pr-dtsearch001.americaneagle.com/service/search.asp?cmd=pdfhits&DocId=365&Index=F%3a%5cdtSearch%5cmpssaa&HitCount=1&hits=c0f+&hc=1&req=flash

However, that obviously doesn't cover DC, VA, etc... But in general, set it up and shoot.. worst they can do is tell you to stop. :)
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    I would have loved to see shot #3 from the front rather than the back. What lens are you shooting with on shot #1 and 2?

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Thanks all... I was shooting my 17-55 f2.8 EF-S in #1 & 2...yeah that was kind of reactionary on 3, included it because it was an awesome athletic play he threw it right into the defender's knees in the air from like 4 feet behind the base.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Over all, a very decent start. On the positive side, you captured the "action" in sports. thumb.gif

In general, for most sports images, the mantra is "shoot tight, crop tighter" but considering you were using the 17-55, you did the best that you could. Do you have a 70-200? That might be a bit better for some of the frames.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    Over all, a very decent start. On the positive side, you captured the "action" in sports. thumb.gif

In general, for most sports images, the mantra is "shoot tight, crop tighter" but considering you were using the 17-55, you did the best that you could. Do you have a 70-200? That might be a bit better for some of the frames.
    Hey thanks aktse, I do have a 70-200 f4 IS and my primary lens for shooting bball is an 85 f1.8. I'm pretty picky about my cropping for portraits and weddings, and I like to leave room for different aspect ratio prints, but I'll keep the mantra in mind.
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Blurmore wrote: »
    I figured covering sports for a local online would be good practice with shooting motion and using the camera in servo, so I've been shooting basketball games. Lots of fun. Only used flash for one game and it was on camera, not sure off camera flash will fly in my area for games, but having experience with it in wedding situations I'd love to try it with basketball sometime. Here are some highlights.

Comments and Critique always welcome.

You seem to have the timing down which is a huge part of the job.

The easiest/cheapist advice I can give you is to turn your camera sideways when shooting basketball . . . MOST of the time it's a vertical game. It might be awkward at first but it will give you better composed shots and will save resolution when cropping. I use a Canon 50D with a battery pack so I have some controls mounted on the side which is convienent.

I have been shooting sports for a small town newspaper for about 10 years now with great results by using "mid price" equipment. For basketball MOST of the time I use my Canon 50D, with my Canon 50mm f1.4 prime, and a 430EX Speedlight. I always catch flak on the discussion boards for going with a flash but over time this is what I found works for me: I will set my camera to Manual mode so I can get about as good an exposure without using the flash as I can get (about 500/sec - f1.4 - ISO at 400). I will then turn my flash on and set it to Manual/high speed sync at about 1/16 or 1/32 power.

The reason I do this is because I have discovered that although my equipment does a good job in the small, average lit gyms in the area, if I give my exposure just a little bit of "fill" light it really makes the images stand out.

1142693734_aMrxs-L.jpg

Without Flash

1142695525_FpYLQ-L.jpg

With low power fill flash

1154915780_mQRRu-L.jpg

Without Flash

1182095501_QTpcR-L.jpg

With low power fill flash

Hope this helps you out. Feel free to ask for more details.