Options

Old Rusted Truck.

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited September 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
Yesterday (as it is 3:20am at the moment), Kasey and I went shooting in a few different areas. We ended up wondering around in Verdi, a place on the boarder of Nevada and California, hunting for traintracks and bridges, where we managed to have a little fun (And a little bit of pain on my part as well, falling down a hill hurts).
Later we ended up driving back to Reno, where we went to a small ranch. This is where the photo takes place. At this ranch there are a lot of old tractors that are no longer in use. They're broken down, and sunken into the ground. She and I quickly set up our cameras on tripods, (it was around 8 or 9pm) and began our hour of long exposure shots. I messed around with white balance, and she did her positioning changes. But we managed to get some nice shots out of the night.
I'm hoping that she'll post some of her photos that she deems worthy in this same thread. But here's the one shot I find worth keeping.

oldtruck21tp.jpg

Feel free to give me your tips and Opinions, as they are greatly appreciated and very helpful for my photography.

EXIF info is as follows:
Date/time : 9/25/2005 12:46:46 AM
Exposure : time 20 s
F-number : 5.6
Exposure : program Manual
ISO speed : 200
Metering mode : Spot
Flash : Flash did not fire [on]
Focal length : 18 mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
White balance : Manual white balance
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2005
    I like the shot a lot...what is that light source from ?

Looks like something from an old Night Stalker episode. That was a good show.

I dont know about me giving advice but when ever im doing long exposure shots i always use ISO100...its just a matter of maybe a second or 2 in the exposure but you have max clarity. Maybe someone else can advise on that.
  • Options
    Lightsource was a streetlight maybe 50 yards away. Very little light.

My ISO only goes down to 200, unfortunately. Maybe pentax will release a firmware update that will allow for a wider range of ISOs? I need to get a new camera that allows that...
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    wow you were up late! ok so here are my truck pictures, i chose two... the second one took sooooo much attention to make it what it is there. the original was really red and had my dumb shadow in it. haha well tell me what you think.

anothertruckpic2vm.jpg

trrrruck7xh.jpg
  • Options
    I like the coloration of your shots a lot. Especially the different tones warm and cool. :) Detail's nice too. Exposure was hard to do at that site wasn't it?
  • Options
    prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    I like the coloration of your shots a lot. Especially the different tones warm and cool. :) Detail's nice too. Exposure was hard to do at that site wasn't it?
    esposure not necessarily hard but the white balance was hard, for me anyway. i guess i still need to master my wb on my camera. and it was so dark that i couldn't tell what i was lookin at through the viewfinder. oh well it wasn't too bad though. i think we should go back during the day to get something a little better.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2005
    esposure not necessarily hard but the white balance was hard, for me anyway. i guess i still need to master my wb on my camera. and it was so dark that i couldn't tell what i was lookin at through the viewfinder. oh well it wasn't too bad though. i think we should go back during the day to get something a little better.
    Yeah definitely, I'm sure during the day, or during 'sweet' light we'll be able to get higher quality photographs. With my new Job, I get off work at 6pm everyday. So I guess we can either do it on a friday or sunday. (Well not this sunday obviously).