On Vacation, Need HD Space, Mass convert Raw to Jpg?

KaydinKaydin Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 3, 2011 in Finishing School
Hello All,

I'm on the last leg of my euro trip and ive been shooting raw for the whole trip but ive come to the point where i dont have enough space on my harddrive to off load my cards and keep shooting. I want to keep my keeper images in raw format to edit in the future but there are allot of random photos i want to keep but downgrade the quality to jpg.

The questions: Is there any way i can select a mass of raw photos in LR3 to turn into jpgs to create more space on my harddrive.

Thanks in advanced =]

Comments

• SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Get a small portable HD. Use it as a backup as well and when you fly home, separate HD from laptop: this way if you loose one, you still have all (or, in the case of your laptop) almost all of your photos.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Ouch, do NOT convert the raws, get another drive! Or more cards.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    You might find some space savings converting from native raw to dng. I do this with my Samsung TL500-- raw files are ~20 MB, converted DNGs ~12 MB. Keep in mind this is a one-way trip, although certainly less drastic than raw --> jpeg.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Can you find any rewritable cd's to offload RAWs there?
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Kaydin wrote: »
    Hello All,

I'm on the last leg of my euro trip and ive been shooting raw for the whole trip but ive come to the point where i dont have enough space on my harddrive to off load my cards and keep shooting. I want to keep my keeper images in raw format to edit in the future but there are allot of random photos i want to keep but downgrade the quality to jpg.

The questions: Is there any way i can select a mass of raw photos in LR3 to turn into jpgs to create more space on my harddrive.

Thanks in advanced =]

I agree - find a cheap, small USB hard drive and avoid downgrading any of your shots!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    in addition to above
    compress with Winrar or Winzip

edit
    or better ; 7zip witch is freeware
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Svennie wrote: »
    Get a small portable HD. Use it as a backup as well and when you fly home, separate HD from laptop: this way if you loose one, you still have all (or, in the case of your laptop) almost all of your photos.
    arodney wrote: »
    Ouch, do NOT convert the raws, get another drive! Or more cards.

This would be my suggestions also.....drives are getting cheap, you should be able to find a small laptop external drive for under 100Euro I would think as locally some are under $50.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    If you can't get your hands on a hard drive, and if you can find a solid broadband connection, let it (overnight) upload all those RAW files to an online storage service. Then free up some space on your computer (I'd still keep jpeg copies on the computers as "just in case" backups).
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    something I would really think about when you get home.......think real hard at getting a laptop that will accept a 2nd internal harddrive......that way if you get an external as I suggested above then you will have an internal for main down load and the external for a backup........just make sure they are the same size of drives (both 1 or 2 gb ) and you should be good for most any vacation adventure in the future..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website