MLima

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited March 4, 2011 in People
Shot some studio style portraits over the last weekend. One of the challenges I had in post is dealing with blemishes and acne so I'm trying different things in LR other than trying spend a lot of time healing all the imperfections.
Let me know what you think please...

1203483062_vPmaL-L.jpg

I processed this with the intent of not making the blemishes so obvious....
Question is, does tis work?
I won't submit a before image unless anyone wants to see one :D
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I like everything you've done. But I would have preferred him making that pose without the prop.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I don't find that he has an unusual amount of acne or blemishes so I guess what you did worked.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I don't find that he has an unusual amount of acne or blemishes so I guess what you did worked.

The skin is fine, but his right shoulder showing on the side of his cheek makes it look like his face is deformed. Took me a few seconds to sort it out.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback...
    I wasn't crazy about the prop here either and would have preferred not having it for this portrait.
    Sara, I had not even thought of that but I see it now....
    When using the heal tool it's good to have areas to work with but in his case there aren't many areas to work off of to heal with.
    Have any of you had issues like this?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Maybe tone down some of the highlights and get a couple more of the obvious big ones. Depends on what the photo is for I guess.
    I don't know how easy that is in Lightroom, I don't do any skin work in there.

Skin cleaning on guys needs to be very minimal normally, guys look weird with clean skin.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    rey, how are you doing it LR? For me it is a 2 step process, if the skin is very bad or is sidelit that brings out the imperfection, I will take the the brush with negative clarity from 40-70 and go all over the face. Then I will go in with the heal tool for touch ups. This has the advantage of smooth the skin 1st so that the heal tool has smoother patches to work with. If the skin is good to begin with just a few pimples or what not then I will just use the heal tool.

I wanna see the before shot.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 4, 2011
    Thank you both for the pointers...
    I'm new to LR so I'm still not realizing it's full potential.
    Mike, I agree on the minimal approach for guys when it comes to touchup...
    Daniel I will try that as I was going about it in reverse of what you described.
    I'll post the SOOC for reference and another that I really liked but have not made any effort to clean up as of yet...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited March 4, 2011
    SOOC

1205366371_oUUjn-L.jpg

Notice the red patch of acne over his right eye on the above photo.

1199899059_4yEtH-L.jpg

I really like this one but I'm at a dilemma over weather I should try touching up or leave as is....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited March 4, 2011
    I should add that he is very conscious about his complexion as he is wanting to send these to an agency.
    Yo soy Reynaldo