With just one light

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in People
I’m comfortable with sports photography, but I’ve forced myself into the world of lighting and am doing it kicking and screaming all the way. I have discovered that I actually need to photography people in order to experiment, make mistakes, and to refine my preferred lighting styles.

So… practice I must! And I do admit that it’s feel extremely odd having someone stand in front of your lens instead of following the action of a game. It’s very strange having some control of the environment and having a person look at you for direction because it’s something very un-natural for me since I’m always trying to fit a composition to a scene instead of trying to craft something to fit my vision.

I recently discovered an asian knock-off lighting/video lighting store and picked up a hot shoe beauty dish. A day later, I talked a friend (not a model) into standing for me. I wanted to buy everything (so cheap!), but I walked out with the dish and a boom. I know that I will be back!

1. This frame isn’t a wonderful shot, but it’s impressive to me for an interesting reason. This was the third frame of the session—the third time that I pressed the shutter that day. I was still setting up the beauty dish when my friend arrived and my first frame was to check the connection/lighting setup. My second frame was of the color checker. I guess my lighting study paid off. First real frame! Usable! I added my trigrip after this shot.

1203075627_QFwvY-X1-1.jpg

2. There are some people that naturally know how to pose. I think people who dance or do yoga fall into this category.
1203146760_9oh7A-X1-1.jpg

1203344548_7LiMU-X1-1.jpg

4. I added my fan!
1203344525_Qo9b4-X1-1.jpg

5. And we were done 20 minutes later. I think we would have finished faster if I wasn’t tethered because we walking to the laptop after every click of the shutter
1203769364_ssbqp-X1.jpg

Although I planned to try various setups like gridded light, sock, parallel to the ground, 45 degree angle, rim, etc. I didn’t get to any of it. The first setup worked and I never changed….

I moved some furniture around and shot in my dining room/living room.

6. The setup shot in my small, messy dining and living room.
1203885264_tk6Dr-X1.jpg

Lessons learned.
1. It is a beautiful, edgy light when bare.
2. I have to be aware of where the person is standing in relationship to the light. The shadow fallout is distinct and directed.
3. A reflector from below is needed unless the person tips the head up to prevent the harsh underneath shadows and racooning.
4. I need to experiment with angle and height.
5. I need a ladder if I ever use a beauty dish with a strobe unless it’s one where I can wirelessly adjust the power. Actually, a ladder is a good idea for me even in TTL if I go any higher than six feet high.
6. I can’t wait to try it again…

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I think your off to a good start and yes, trail and error is a great way to go about it with digital.
    The first portrait you've lost her eyes which really bothers me.
    The others are better but I think you either need to use a reflector under her chin area or lower the lighting source as the shadow under her nose is not appealing.
    Number five I feel is your best.
    I look forward to seeing your progress with this.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I like the 1st shot the best as well. 2, 4, and 5 are great as well..except one thing..the hair. The specular highlight in the hair are killing it for me. I don't mind the harsher light on the face but on the hair is bugging me. I don't know how to keep the face lit the way you have it but dial it down on the hair in camera. Brushing in some neg exposiure might help I suppose in post.

Anyway, yeah, looks like you are ready for me! =)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Off camera flash can get addicting, the creativity can just pour out. You can always add in a reflector to assist one light also. I like #3 the most
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    April...

These are great. You rocked this. I really like the 3rd one. Very playful.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    They certainly have some impact. Not sure that they are very flattering, however. I feel this kind of face is best shot pretty much straight on, with lots of hair framing it, and from slightly above. A ring flash, softish, would be interesting to try, with the S way off from the BG.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Great start! thumb.gif. I like #1 the best, and I think you got some good lighting effects out of it which brought out the character of her face. That said, i agree with Neil that these are probably not the most flattering shots of her face - she's got very strong features, her nose seems quite long, and in some of these angles that's emphasised. Now, for a sense of *character*, I love it, but it depends on the "vision" you and she had (I know - the vision was "let's play with one beauty dish" which is fair enough - I do that kind of thing all the time for practice!!!). #5 is the most flattering angle for her, I think.

I really enjoy these and your analysis - more, please! :D

PS LOve that background - what is it? (Shower curtain?)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Your off and running thumb.gif

Now, I'll add that IMHO, you've chosen one of the hardest modifiers to learn to use correctly. A beauty dish is a very specialized type of modifier, and to get "the beauty dish look", specific techniques are required. Google "how to use a beauty dish" and read up on the techniques.

Basically, the dish would normally be at a distance of it's diameter from the models head (22" if that's the BD's diameter), and pointed slightly down but directly centered on the face (not from a side angle), directly at the subjects forehead. That center reflector/mirror "shields" the forehead from a hot-spot, as you can see are easy to get with a fairly specular light like the BD. Then, some light (a reflector) from below to fill in the newly created shadows. (Beauty Lighting)

I'd suggest since your starting out, make life easier for yourself. Get a shoot-through umbrella or softbox. That soft wrapping light is a lot easier to get good results with. Besides, you'll wind up with a whole gaggle of modifiers anyway deal.gif

Play, play & play some more thumb.gif
    Randy
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    All this technical stuff is over my head, but I love the 2nd and 3rd photos particularly. Your friend has such beautiful eyes and a great, understated expression.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    For your first go at it you did a great job. Your choice of light is not the best for an older model. ( please don't read old too harshly, not meant that extreme). It is a better choice for a younger face. Remember the larger the light and the closer you get it the softer the light. You can even use your existing light shooting through a white bed sheet stretched taunt. Make a frame of PVC pipe and stretch the sheet over the frame and the light behind. You now have a larger light source. This works great for a person with glasses as it spreads the glass glare much larger over the glasses. Keep up the testing as you've a great start.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    The others are better but I think you either need to use a reflector under her chin area or lower the lighting source as the shadow under her nose is not appealing...

I guess my question would be... what is approximate shadow for the face? Is the general rule, non underneath the eyes and nose?

Or should I aim to have everything evenly lit? shadowless?
    edited March 6, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    . The specular highlight in the hair are killing it for me. )

Another dumb question.... I should always avoid specular highlights other than in the eyes? Is that a general rule of a good portrait?
    edited March 6, 2011
    wolf911 wrote: »
    Off camera flash can get addicting, the creativity can just pour out. You can always add in a reflector to assist one light also. I like #3 the most
    Off camera flash is an entirely different beast. I think it's easier with a VAL, but It was just myself. I think I need more things to hold up reflectors.
    edited March 6, 2011
    April...

These are great. You rocked this. I really like the 3rd one. Very playful.
    It helps when you have a wiling model! :D
    edited March 6, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    They certainly have some impact. Not sure that they are very flattering, however. I feel this kind of face is best shot pretty much straight on, with lots of hair framing it, and from slightly above. A ring flash, softish, would be interesting to try, with the S way off from the BG.

Neil
    This was just a lighting experiment more so than anything else and I was happy to have a live body in front of me rather than my usual model (objects around the house).

I always remember tidbits from Joe McNally and the one of the ones that stick with me about crafting the appropriate light for the person and situation. I know that I struggle with that...
    edited March 6, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    .... That said, i agree with Neil that these are probably not the most flattering shots of her face - she's got very strong features, her nose seems quite long, and in some of these angles that's emphasised. Now, for a sense of *character*, I love it, but it depends on the "vision" you and she had (I know - the vision was "let's play with one beauty dish" which is fair enough - I do that kind of thing all the time for practice!!!). #5 is the most flattering angle for her, I think.

I really enjoy these and your analysis - more, please! :D

PS LOve that background - what is it? (Shower curtain?)
    I'm still trying to figure out what the beauty dish does. It's hard changing lighting setups when I'm short and there isn't another person in the room other than the subject. And my friend was much better than my previous subject taken at night before my friend showed up.

Meet Rex-y: beauty dish, above gridded
    1202385993_whALH-L.jpg

Meet Rex-y: beauty dish, above, ungridded
    1202385536_fmfaQ-L.jpg

Rex-y is a bit reflective, but better than nothing. I'm currently searching for a wig for him; he's about four feet tall. BradfordBenn suggested that I buy a blow up standing thing as a model once he saw my previous model that I used.

The background is actually a westcott vintage, but I didn't clip it and pull it taut so it ended up looking like a shower curtain. However, I did learn interesting one tidbit. It looks like I had some sort of background light, but I didn't. That's the sun! We were shooting late afternoon and I was shooting against my west facing sliding back door. Since the background is think in some parts, I got this odd lighting pattern and I think it worked. I think a printed shower curtain or any think fabric would behaving in the same way.
    edited March 6, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Your off and running thumb.gif

Now, I'll add that IMHO, you've chosen one of the hardest modifiers to learn to use correctly. A beauty dish is a very specialized type of modifier, and to get "the beauty dish look", specific techniques are required. Google "how to use a beauty dish" and read up on the techniques.

Basically, the dish would normally be at a distance of it's diameter from the models head (22" if that's the BD's diameter), and pointed slightly down but directly centered on the face (not from a side angle), directly at the subjects forehead. That center reflector/mirror "shields" the forehead from a hot-spot, as you can see are easy to get with a fairly specular light like the BD. Then, some light (a reflector) from below to fill in the newly created shadows. (Beauty Lighting)
    Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. It makes sense!!!

I google'ed beauty dishes before my friend showed up and I discovered there were three main configuration 1) High above (eight feet plus) with the BD parallel to the ground 2) The pattern that you described, with the dish about 45 degrees above her head 3) Behind the subject as a use for a rim light.

I think I need a step ladder for this thing, or get a VAL who's much taller than me since I'm five feet tall on a good day without heels. I find that it's really hard getting anything over someone's head unless it's a light on a stick. Even when I've used c-stands and booms, it's still hard.

Hmm.. I guess I just need to work at it. thank you so much for your insight.
    edited March 6, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    All this technical stuff is over my head, but I love the 2nd and 3rd photos particularly. Your friend has such beautiful eyes and a great, understated expression.
    She has great eyes, expression and her shoulders go where they are suppose to go!

And she has the most important part -- she's willing to stand there and let me take a photo of her without running away!
    edited March 6, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    For your first go at it you did a great job. Your choice of light is not the best for an older model. ( please don't read old too harshly, not meant that extreme). It is a better choice for a younger face. Remember the larger the light and the closer you get it the softer the light. You can even use your existing light shooting through a white bed sheet stretched taunt. Make a frame of PVC pipe and stretch the sheet over the frame and the light behind. You now have a larger light source. This works great for a person with glasses as it spreads the glass glare much larger over the glasses. Keep up the testing as you've a great start.
    Thanks for your kind words.

I guess my question would be... what are the correct situations to use harsh lighting?

I know that harsh lighting works for very old people or people with a ton of lines and characters in their faces. I know that harsh light works for very fit athletic bodies.

Any time else? So.. a soft light for everything else?
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    I guess my question would be... what is approximate shadow for the face? Is the general rule, non underneath the eyes and nose?

Or should I aim to have everything evenly lit? shadowless?

I just think if you lowered the light in relation to her face to reduce the angle it would work better and not be as long (shadow). Perhaps it's strictly a matter of taste since no one else mentioned it.
    Shadows are definitely a part of the reality of life. I so don't like when people blast the scene with so much light that all shadows disappear.
    Of course some styles of studio work do just that to create a feel or mood but otherwise I prefer to keep it real....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Rex-y looks very much like my old training tool Shadow. I should have told you that I liked having the reflective surface when I was doing lighting as I could see better how the lights were interacting. It was theatrical lighting so they were always on. If the glare gets to be a problem a little hairspray will help knock it down.

The reason I used the dinosaur is that if I could make green look good I could make almost anything look good.... now why am I in audio now? ;)

You should take him/her to the beach and watch the looks you get. I am wondering if inflated him/her is as tall as you?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Aktse, there are some set rules for light patterns and they are just that, rules. These rules are broken every session with great results but one needs to have a starting point. You have a loop or butterfly light pattern where the shadow is just under the nose. This is used alot on models because they have a slim face. This light pattern would make a thick face worse. You have a 45 degree or Rembrandt lighting pattern that is used the most. Google Rembrandt and you will see how the painter used this patten. It tends to throw one side of the face in shadow and slims the face while creating a small triangular light under the shaded eye. The last one is a split light where a center line is drawn on the face between the eyes and splits the lip in half. One side of the face is lighted and the other half shaded. Used for dramatic effects.

All the shadows are regulated by what type of light unit you are using, how big/small it is and how close/far it is in relationship to the face.

Specular highlights are simply bright areas in a photograph that help to create depth in a flat photograph. On a face watch out for the forehead, cheekbones, nose and chin. These are areas that oil seems to reside and reflect light back to the camera. Too much specularity and they take ones attention away from the subject as bright areas come forward to the viewers eye before the eye views the entire photograph.

Hope this helps.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Yes, I agree with Charles. You must know the conventions but you don't have to produce cliche.

You say your intention with these was to experiment, and that is honorable. When you experiment, if you are lucky, you get interesting results. And these images are interesting.

You now have to ask yourself if the results you got can be applied as practice-style. That is a question only you can answer. There are no rules to reference for an answer to that.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix