Does this shot say "Contrast" to you?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 3, 2011 in Landscapes
I'm talking about from a thematic perspective. So if you saw this photo with the title "Contrast", what would come to mind?

Really could use some help with this so I would truly appreciate some feedback. Please fight the urge to lurk and run. :bow

1199160456_TkPEy-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Sorry, but ever since the initial discussion it says "Sticker on the rear" to me. lol3.gif

Seriously though, I'm not sure "contrast" would be a world I would associate with this. "Noble" and maybe even "Powerful", but I'm not sure where "Contrast" fits in.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I don't think it says contrast either in the lighting/tonality sense nor in the 'irony' sense of the word. Sorry.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    That's not what I wanted to hear but it's the truth and I appreciate it.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Again, not "contrast".

Thematically, I think something along the lines of "strength" or "building" or "progress".
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    what am I seeing here? I see background of modern skyscrapers and foreground of naked dudes working old heavy machinery. There is some element of contrast here..modern vs old, tall vs short..but they are thematically complimentary as well... progression, steel, blood sweat and tears, labor, phallic, etc. The complimentary themes outweigh the contrasting themse imo. "Progress" might be better caption.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Since I was lying the dirt for some shots recently, it occurred to me, "Why are you laying down when those guys are working so hard?" :D

Seriously though, are you shooting for a contest or what's your objective?
    Clue us in on to what you are after and purpose.
    'Contrast' was a stretch for me too.

Like you shot though! thumb.gif Getting low does give an interesting perspective.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited March 3, 2011
    If someone asked me ten things I saw or thought about this picture, contrast would not be on the list. Sorry.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I can see the tonal contrast in the statue but it's not holding my attention. Maybe crop the left so it's mostly just the statue and then push it towards a high key look. And you will need to clone the sticker. Now that Schmoo has said that that's all I keep looking at and I'm embarrassing myself.:D
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    You probably didn't notice you were shooting up a naked statue bum...ha.
    I like the photo....I am with the rest of the posters on don't see the contrast.
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I see "Giants"