A Nikon/D7000 flash question

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited March 5, 2011 in Cameras
Why am I not allowed to choose "no flash" mode when in P,M,A, or S modes? I could on my Sony A700 and now I'm rather confused. Sometimes I'd rather crank up the ISO and down the shutter speed than fire the flash. It seems the D7000 doesn't want to let me do that.

Help? What am I missing?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 3, 2011
    Just guessing here:

Maybe try Custom Menu e:Bracketing/flash

Set e2 to 30 sec (I think that will work for you)
    Set e3 to Manual (if the above doesn't do it)
    Set e4 to Off (so that the onboard flash does not fire a burst when you press the DOF preview button)

That's all I see that could affect what I think you want to achieve.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I dont have a D7000, but just wondering if you are leaving the flash up, my D90 fires when up, in P S A M and does not fire or try to fire if down (closed)
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I concur with time2smile. In PASM modes, the flash shouldn't pop up automatically, but if you pop it up, the camera think you want to use it, so it fires. You should be able to just close the flash and it won't pop up. At least that's how it works on my D90 and D300.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Ok just pulled my D7000 out of the bag and previous guys are right. Pop up the flash and it goes off. Push it down and it doesn't fire.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    push flash-button on left
    with flash popped up
    push same flash-button and rotate rear dialer until the no-flash icon appears
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    On my D7000 with it set in "M" mode when I push the flash button it pops up but it doesn't allow me to change the flash mode. The only way I'm able to get the flash to flash is to push the button and have the flash pop up. Then if I push the flash down it won't fire. The rear dialer doesn't change the flash mode. Maybe I have some other settings conflicting but not sure what that would be.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Thanks guys. On the Sony, if you didn't choose "no flash," it would pop up automatically. It does not seem to do that on the Nikon.
    edited March 4, 2011
    ^^^
    dont put flash down

with flash up , press [ and hold ] same flash-button + rear dialer

if it works for me , it works for you too
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    ^^^
    dont put flash down

with flash up , press [ and hold ] same flash-button + rear dialer

if it works for me , it works for you too

Nope, that doesn't work and according to the manual it shouldn't work. The no-flash setting is not available on those modes. You just have to leave the flash down. Maybe it's a US/UK thing.
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    There is a time when you will have your built-in flash up, and not want it to fire.
    This is when you are using your camera to trigger your Nikon speed lights off camera.
    Nikon uses IR to fire the off camera speed lights which comes from your built in flash.
    In this case, go to CSM e3 (I keep this one in my custom menu). There select commander mode, and toggle the mode for the built-in flash to "--", leaving the mode for your OCF to M or TTL.
    You will get a pre-flash from the built-in flash that is the trigger, but nothing during the actual shot.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    There is a time when you will have your built-in flash up, and not want it to fire.
    This is when you are using your camera to trigger your Nikon speed lights off camera.
    Nikon uses IR to fire the off camera speed lights which comes from your built in flash.
    In this case, go to CSM e3 (I keep this one in my custom menu). There select commander mode, and toggle the mode for the built-in flash to "--", leaving the mode for your OCF to M or TTL.
    You will get a pre-flash from the built-in flash that is the trigger, but nothing during the actual shot.
    Oooh, digging deep into the menu, woohoo! Yes, I love this customization.

Unfortunately, I've actually noticed that if your ambient settings are bright and your subject is very close, the pop-up flash WILL still appear in the image even when you set it to "--"

The best way to REALLY kill it is to go just 1/2 stop past your sync speed, when in "--" mode. Of course it also immediately cuts into your wireless flash power, but if the remote strobe is close enough you'll be fine...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Nope, that doesn't work and according to the manual it shouldn't work. The no-flash setting is not available on those modes. You just have to leave the flash down. Maybe it's a US/UK thing.

I think flash off is only available if you have a speedlight attached, i will check later and let you know, as for on camera there is no falsh off on D90.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited March 5, 2011
    also
    in menu F3 , you can select FN-button