Suzy

oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
edited March 3, 2011 in People
I've never been one to shoot people, but I thought I might try my hand. This is Suzy (my wife) who agreed to some informal posing. I used different types of processing that I find appealing but I'm not sure if any of it works. I do prefer more natural looking skins so you won't see any "digital makeup" in these shots. Opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

1204272533_qX885-L.jpg
1204272777_Nr3m8-L.jpg
1204272959_LbKww-L.jpg
1204273297_m5oL3-L.jpg
1204273807_mPN3o-L.jpg
1204274105_sXJ2V-L.jpg
1204274274_YbUJE-L.jpg
1204274422_CHfar-L.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Gorgeous eyes, but no variation in the expression; they all look the same, I think with a bit of thought more could be made of what you have before you!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Allow me to "help" with just one concept as not wanting to overwhelm. For the next few weeks focus on one idea: "Dynamics". In this particular instance, think of how you can frame your subject at the proper angle that would "flatter" your subject. This is what I call "The dymamic of flattery"....in other words, don't shoot someone straight on without a specific purpose of the photograph. Use angles to enhance the frame to where your subject tells the story of their personality. Dynamic lighting comes into play but for now, simply work on these adjustments: If a person has 2 of anything, don't let them be level.....tilt the shoulders, tilt the head, turn the upper torso left or right a bit. Doing these things will add to the dynamic of the shot, making it more flattering for your subject and appealing to the viewer.

Swartzy
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Gorgeous eyes, but no variation in the expression; they all look the same, I think with a bit of thought more could be made of what you have before you!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Suzy says thanks for the compliment. :D We both joked about the expression being a bit plastic....stepford wife like. We'll work on it.
    edited March 3, 2011
    Swartzy wrote: »
    Allow me to "help" with just one concept as not wanting to overwhelm. For the next few weeks focus on one idea: "Dynamics". In this particular instance, think of how you can frame your subject at the proper angle that would "flatter" your subject. This is what I call "The dymamic of flattery"....in other words, don't shoot someone straight on without a specific purpose of the photograph. Use angles to enhance the frame to where your subject tells the story of their personality. Dynamic lighting comes into play but for now, simply work on these adjustments: If a person has 2 of anything, don't let them be level.....tilt the shoulders, tilt the head, turn the upper torso left or right a bit. Doing these things will add to the dynamic of the shot, making it more flattering for your subject and appealing to the viewer.

Swartzy

Thanks for the tip. I tend to not notice "habits" that I have, like shooting straight on untill someone mentions it. I'll work on it.....thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Looks like fun, very cool when you can share your hobby with your wife.
    Watch shooting her from above and the wrinkled up forehead.

She has the classic waiting for the camera to go off look in her eyes. Portrait shoots should be a conversation not a stop and go, stop and go, stop and go.

Put her where you want her, put the camera to your eye, strike up a conversation, when she looks good click the shutter.
    Your subject shouldn't know when you are going to shoot.

Most of all keep having fun with it :).
    edited March 3, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Looks like fun, very cool when you can share your hobby with your wife.
    Watch shooting her from above and the wrinkled up forehead.

She has the classic waiting for the camera to go off look in her eyes. Portrait shoots should be a conversation not a stop and go, stop and go, stop and go.

Put her where you want her, put the camera to your eye, strike up a conversation, when she looks good click the shutter.
    Your subject shouldn't know when you are going to shoot.

Most of all keep having fun with it :).

Good tips, thank you zoomer.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Nice start. To the other guys, I'd add - watch your backgrounds! Your wooden floor -without the rug - would have made a great neutral background! Alternatively, find a blank wall or, if you're going to use something more complex behind, then make sure you shoot to pull your subject as far away from it as you can and shoot with as wide an aperture as you realistically can - this will help that background melt away into something more neutral that doesn't pull the eye away from the subject.

Have fun!
    edited March 3, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Nice start. To the other guys, I'd add - watch your backgrounds! Your wooden floor -without the rug - would have made a great neutral background! Alternatively, find a blank wall or, if you're going to use something more complex behind, then make sure you shoot to pull your subject as far away from it as you can and shoot with as wide an aperture as you realistically can - this will help that background melt away into something more neutral that doesn't pull the eye away from the subject.

Have fun!

This brings up a question. When shooting portraits is it better to shoot at around F/8 to make sure the subject doesn't have blurred spots. Or go with say F/2.8 to blur the background but maybe end up with a blurred ear or shoulder?
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    This brings up a question. When shooting portraits is it better to shoot at around F/8 to make sure the subject doesn't have blurred spots. Or go with say F/2.8 to blur the background but maybe end up with a blurred ear or shoulder?

It all depends on what you are going for.

For me, I generally go for a more shallow look... unless the background is spectacular or draws your eye back to the subject. My goal is to get both eyes in focus, but beyond that, I let things fall out of the depth of field a lot of the time. In the rooms you have used, shooting wide open would have helped a lot to keep the background from distracting from your lovely wife.

(And listen to those guys. ^ They have some really good adviceiloveyou.gif)