Headshots: Andi (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 9, 2011 in People
This shoot was scheduled back in December but got pushed down until this week. It wasn't ideal for me since I'm deep in production for a show right now as well, but I'm not on the road so agreed we'd squeeze it in. We had a BLAST - didn't have as much time as I'd like (she had to leave after 2hrs, unfortunately), but we still got some decent shots I think. Here are the first few which jumped out at me.........

C&C always welcome!

7d+50mm or 85mm; natural light+reflector; 430ex+softliter 45" + refleector + 420ex bounced into vestibule as fill/hairlight.

1. I wanted to give her a variety of different looks, so we started with some natural light using my big windows plus reflector. She's a classical singer rather than actor so these likely will be too casual but they were fun to shoot and gave us a chance to "warm up".

(no retouching yet)
1204745379_xSgdY-L.jpg

2. I have no idea how this shot comes across to others as far as expression - I personally love the 'tude (and think the pose is very flattering), but that may be because I know her. She has a super-expressive and active face and is actually always laughing or making silly expressions - this was her putting on a "supermodeldivab***h" look just for fun and I really like it! Am I way off base?

(no retouching)
1204745395_e9PBf-L.jpg

3. The series we did in this black velvet dress are among my favorites from the shoot - she has (IMO) many to choose from in this sequence. I liked this one for the softer expression as something a little different (some retouching already done - in fact, may have gone a little too far on these - we'll see what she says when she comes to choose and we talk about how much she wants me to do to them, although she did already mention she's very self-conscious about her forehead lines, so I minimized those).

I will say that although she looks good - and has really beautiful skin - boy am I starting to want to find a MUA to work with me. It would save me HOURS in post. In this case, I think she under-did her eyes, but she doesn't use liner IRL and, frankly, although I assist/advise/give feedback to my clients on their makeup, I find myself uncomfortable actually doing it *for* them when I'm trying to concentrate on shooting. So, I worked with what I have, and I think I'm going to start sniffing around for somebody who might be willing to come along to sessions in the future...... It's not a huge big deal and most of the singers I know do their own mu really quite well, but it would definitely be one less thing for me to have to think about. Delegate! :rofl

1204745333_8FYwL-L.jpg

4. This is my favorite of the session so far - we'll see what she thinks when she sees the proofs. I just think it strikes a nice balance of "diva glamourous" with a very engaging expression that's strong but still approachable (well, that's what I see - tell me if it comes over otherwise!). It also crops into a decent tight landscape shot. We'll see what she says!

There is something else notable about this one, but since I want to see just how noticeable it is to other photographers, I'm not going to say what it is just yet - by all means throw out your observations at me! :D

(some retouching)
1204745355_Mfpmi-L.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    THESE are great. iloveyou.gif

My take on 2... I love the angle, parted lips, lighting, comp... but, her teeth being parted makes it look like she was in the middle of talking, which makes it feel snapshotty or incomplete. Soooo clooose. I hate it when I get an "almost" photo like this one. So pretty otherwise.

I think this is one of my very favorite subjects you have worked with. She sure looks like a beautifully mature, classy lady... and you have captured her well.

Favorites are 1, 3 & 4. Ok, so that is all of them except for 2, which I love... but you know what I am thinking about that one.

I also think your retouching is very tastefully done. You nailed it! I couldn't see it without really looking, so it is perfect!clap.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Divamum, you are spectacular. It's been awesome to follow you as you grow... these are great :)

I second Heather's point about #2. #3 and #4 are really gorgeous. The only thing that gets me about #3 is the strap on the shoulder closest to the camera. The shots are both really lovely and the pp looks perfect! I haven't been able to identify the 'notable' thing about #4...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    You guys are so good for my ego (and I always have a Sally Field moment when you chime in, Heather - you like them, you like them! iloveyou.gif). Yeah, I see what you mean about the parted teeth. I wonder if there's another one of that pose where her teeth are together that I could composite on; I'll have a look... She is indeed a very classy, intelligent lady - she's also immense fun and I really wanted to capture that side of her, but she tends to close her eyes when she laughs. There are a couple big smile shots which might work - I'll probably clean up this shot for her proofset as well (even though the shallow DOF means only the leading eye is 100% in focus, I kind of like it as a very specific style/look... plus her trademark big, laughing smile but with eyes OPEN)

SOOC
    1204807998_jTRYf-M.jpg

And you haven't spotted my handiwork in #4 - EXCELLENT! There are some bits around the hair I that I thought were a bit kludge-y, but if you guys haven't seen it without my drawing your attention to it, I'm probably ok with it. It won't work on all in this series, but I decided I'd give it a try and see how people responded. For your answer, here's the SOOC shot :D

1204804707_3XYHV-L.jpg

She had a green shawl with her, but it was too casual with the velvet dress - I had this red one in my drawer so we gave it a try. I don't actually mind the colour with her hair, but with the differently-toned lip-colour it was just too many reds for me (I can adjust the lip colour, but thought I'd try changing the scarf first). I think I like it! It looks good in a sapphire blue, too.... :D
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Ahaha! I figured it out! She reminds me of Melanie Griffith! (Shining Through, one of my absolute fav movies)

(And you are silly about my comments.. I am just me... and.... I think there is a good chance you are getting better than me in the studio setting. You get way more practice for one thing.)

And, actually the strap on #3 also bothered me, but I bet a different crop would fix it. And since you are the master at finding *the* perfect crop, it should be no problemo.

Aren't you the sneaky lady with your color swap. I see what you are talking about now, but I sure didn't notice before!
    edited March 3, 2011
    Well, I can't deny that I'm finally starting to feel like I just MIGHT know what I'm going to get when I set up my lights (oooh, at least 30% of the time. Maybe. :giggle), but "studio" is perhaps a bit strong - I posted this in the pullback thread, but here's how I did that series in the black velvet dress (not a great pullback, but it does show the setup - didn't have time to change lens and could'nt move back any further). Photek 45-80* CL, but then I put my 420ex bare in the vestibule to the right and just behind her, and bounced it. It turned the vestibule into a giant softbox! Haven't ever tried that before and have STRUGGLED getting hairlights positioned in that space; I've fudged it with a flash clamped to the door, trying to fake a boom, a Fong lightsphere turned way down, home-made grid/snoot... nothing's ever worked as well as this, which I just tried on a whim.

Still feel horribly limited by space though - I really need more room than I have :cry I think subjects would feel freer to move around and I'd get more dynamic shots, too. Not quite sure what to do about it at this point, so for the time being I just make it work but it would be SO much easier with more room!

1204727053_WUKuC-L.jpg

ETA: She does look a bit like Melanie Griffith, doesn't she? Hadn't even clocked that but you're right! thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Kathleen Turner in Body Heat...that is what I was thinking. I can see the Melanie also.

I like what you did with these. Looks like you ladies were having a lot of fun.
    I like 4 also, maybe clone out that slice of arm by the scarf.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Now dm you realise you are beginning to make it a little more tricky for us to C&C you. Because I am beginning to see **style** playing a part in what you are doing. Where does technique end and style begin then becomes the burning question. You are continuing to talk in technicalities about your pics, but for me style is becoming the real issue.

If I were to react to the technicalities, I would say that I think your main is too close-hot. You know, my mantra is if you react to a shot with the first thought "LIGHTING!" the lighting is wrong (I'm talking about this kind of shot here). The face might then act mainly as a reflecting object for the light, rather than for the light to allow the face to be revealed.

A second thing I would say is that, for this sample at least, the posing of the head and eyes is almost unvarying.

The most appealing to me is #4 in the first post, mainly the colour scheme. Some hair light would have been nice.

Your posts are always interesting and helpful to me.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 3, 2011
    Thanks Zoomer! Yeah, noticed that bit of arm too and couldn't decide what to do - in the end I left it since it helped define her figure a bit more. She actually has a great figure, she's just not skinny, and just enough of a curvy girl that she worries about looking bigger than she is in photos, and that helped her define her waist.

Neil, I'm trying to decide if that was a left-handed compliment or a correction rolleyes1.gif Do you mean you're not keen on the style, or that style trumps technical nits? As for the same expression, I think that's more to do with my picks than what she delivered - I think I just liked that angle the best of the ones we got and thus gravitated towards those shots. That said, she told me in advance she hugely prefers pictures using her left side, so the majority did favour that. A 3/4 angle short lit slimmed down her face more than head on, so there are a lot with that basic configuration....
    edited March 3, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks Zoomer! Yeah, noticed that bit of arm too and couldn't decide what to do - in the end I left it since it helped define her figure a bit more. She actually has a great figure, she's just not skinny, and just enough of a curvy girl that she worries about looking bigger than she is in photos, and that helped her define her waist.

Neil, I'm trying to decide if that was a left-handed compliment or a correction rolleyes1.gif Do you mean you're not keen on the style, or that style trumps technical nits? As for the same expression, I think that's more to do with my picks than what she delivered - I think I just liked that angle the best of the ones we got and thus gravitated towards those shots. That said, she told me in advance she hugely prefers pictures using her left side, so the majority did favour that. A 3/4 angle short lit slimmed down her face more than head on, so there are a lot with that basic configuration....

rolleyes1.gif

I meant it to mean very interesting progress on your part! I think you and I are the sort that can't sleep when we know there are technical nits, a bit like the Princess and the Pea. Prince and the Pea?

Neil

edited March 4, 2011
    Ha! Actually, once I've got something "in the can" (be that working a new role into my voice or prepping shots for delivery) I can walk away from it without a second thought, but while I'm working on it I tend to hyperfocus on the technique side, especially in the company of like-minded people who understand the technical details I'm talking about! But I'm not a perfectionist - I've long held that "perfection is the enemy of excellence". Rather than seek an unattainable ideal that will only leave me frustrated, I just try to do better each time out, continually building my skillset and, hopefully, the results I can get with those skills! thumb.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Wow, these are all great, but the last two are spectacular...love the hairlights!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Beautiful work! I love the frank expression of #1
    #2 sooo close but caught somewhere in between. (definitely Kathleen Turner circa Body Heat)
    #3 another winner
    #4 my favorite! Nice work with the color change. I much prefer the green shawl.
    Concerning your "studio" you remind me of a director with a shoe string budget up againnst the big boys who somehow manages to pull a rabbit out of a hat! clap.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    I'm in love!! #4 FTW. The look she's giving is just perfect. The color swap, pose, lighting and composition are all there.

You know I'm also partial to #1 because of the light and the composition. The crop across her pendant bothers me and leaves my wanting more.

She's a beauty and you're quite the headshot photographer!
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    What's most apparent is your ability to take beauty and really annunciate it with your technique...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited March 5, 2011
    Thanks Rey, Brian and Mitchell. Yeah, she was a lot of fun - I was very excited when she contacted me because I was really excited to try and capture her... and that wonderful colouring! She's one of these people who's just impossible not to like - smart, funny, and warm. Hardest part, as I say, was trying to capture her energy in a still picture - her face is in perpetual motion!

@Mitchell, slicing the pendant bothers me too, but I liked the diagonal of the doorframe in the background when I rotated, and that's how it winds up. Btw, the bg there is the same vestibule in which I have the flash in that quasi-pullback - long live shallow depth of field! I couldn't move back any further (I was already sitting on the back of the sofa and right up against the wall) and I didn't want to use a wider lens lest it lead to distortion (did I mention just how much I need more space??!?! Right, yes, I think I did. :giggle). There are others in that series with no necklace, I just liked this expression the best. Maybe I'll clone it out entirely...... headscratch.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    I fell in love with these images from the very first one! Pretty gal! You must be pleased. I've shot animated folks like this and it is amazing how many photos are unusable from them yakkin and so forth. But these are nice (save the ones mentioned)!

"perfection is the enemy of excellence"

Oh! So true...Love this quote of yours!
    tom wise
    edited March 5, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I fell in love with these images from the very first one! Pretty gal! You must be pleased. I've shot animated folks like this and it is amazing how many photos are unusable from them yakkin and so forth. But these are nice (save the ones mentioned)!

"perfection is the enemy of excellence"

Oh! So true...Love this quote of yours!

Ah! But is excellence the enemy of perfection?eek7.gif

lieN (excellence)

Neil (perfection)

• CatchMeCatchMe Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    I have one little nit. I shoot and work in Los Angeles and I do Head Shots all of the time. Your composition and direction of your model is great. I would just caution against going to bright on the highlights for the skin. Assuming your model is a working actress, if you "blowout" most of the texture in her skin you are apt to get her auditions for the wrong parts. Most of what head shots are, is to get the person in the door for the proper part. I would allow just a little more texture back into her skin so that those casting will get a better sense of how she will read on film. Just a thought.

-Scott
    edited March 6, 2011
    Thanks for your comments, Scott! She's actually a working opera singer (as am I) - classical singers are still tending towards a more glamourous/retouched and slightly formal look in their submission shots, even now some of the trends you know from actor shots (ie more natural light, location shoots, less formal poses etc etc) are finally starting to move sideways. I think for an actress I'd have wanted something more natural in many ways, (including location and lighting) for exactly the reasons you point out thumb.gif That said, as mentioned above, I agree that these may need dialing back a touch - I'll wait until she lets me know which ones she's choosing, and then work those up accordingly.

Thanks!
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Hello Divamum-

Nice looking shots. I like that they are not the standard headshots that are stiff. I do have a couple of little comments. Her right arm on the velvet dress (red and green) shots while seems accidentally placed. While I understand the pose the arm just peeking out seems like it is not quite purposeful. I also think that her forehead is a little too hot.

I can't wait to see them after processing based on how good the sources looked.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks Brad! I always check my shots against a 2nd monitor (my working monitor is a little low contrast, which can sometimes lead me astray) and I'm starting to us SM test prints as a final "proofing" as well, so I'll have a look at those in the final copies. I'm interested to see which 3 of the 200 shots we got she'll choose in the end!
    edited March 7, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks Brad! I always check my shots against a 2nd monitor (my working monitor is a little low contrast, which can sometimes lead me astray) and I'm starting to us SM test prints as a final "proofing" as well, so I'll have a look at those in the final copies. I'm interested to see which 3 of the 200 shots we got she'll choose in the end!

May I ask how are you doing the test prints? Place a bunch on one sheet? Single orders of smaller sizes? I am still working on my printing work flow to get more consistent results and am looking for experiences & ideas. Sorry for the detour.
    -=Bradford

edited March 8, 2011
    I'll confess I'm still finding my way with using the calibration prints, so not sure I have much insight (yet). But I ordered SM's calibration prints. Because I can see the differences between my monitor display and the actual print, I can adjust accordingly.... That's the plan, anyway!

I don't deliver prints for clients, only digital files - they get their own mass repro prints themselves. That said, I like to prep them so they are as close to print-ready as I can get them - and I do recommend they order 1 SM copy as a "master print" for themselves. Even if they do use another lab, hopefully it will still be in the ballpark, and that other lab can tweak according to their own practices.

ETA: In case I misunderstood your question, I put up low-rez proofs (with a watermark) on my SM site for the client to choose from; if they ask, I could do thumbnails on paper, but most have been happy to use the digital files to choose from. They pick however many are included in the pkg and/or any extras they want, and I edit those into a final "ready-to-print" file. I recommend they print a master copy from SM, but get their mass repro done from one of the specialist repro companies for large quantities (most performers want 100-500 so they have plenty for their agent to have on hand as well as their own supply).
    edited March 9, 2011
    Thank you Divamum.
    -=Bradford