Help with Angels-Blue Angels

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited March 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
So, yesterday I was working on the Blue Angels training ground, literally, on the ground between their targets. It was really cool.

Photography was not why I was there, we were working against a schedule of when we were authorized to be there, and in fact, the only reason I could really find time to shoot was when I was driving in and out, because we were ordered to stop driving when they did an overpass.

I've never tried to do high-speed photography like this before, my rocks and mountains don't usually move ;)

I made two mistakes straight off the bat, had the the camera on jpg, and had white balance set to tungsten, no excuses, just that my brain hurts right now.

Here are some of the best shots I got. I'll get one more day on their training ground, I'll be around for a show in a couple of weeks, but I doubt I'll have the time off to go. Most are SOOC, I did some color correction, but my laptop screen constantly drifts, and I want to wait till i get home to do it on my other monitor. Any advice you might have for my next chance to get these, I'd appreciate.

1) From a distance, before we got on the training ground- when I have time I can edit this with layers and vary the exposure between the sky and the jet.
1205008911_vxaFP-XL.jpg

2) on the training ground
1205008199_Cv92d-XL.jpg

3)
1205008689_gPwon-XL.jpg

4)For these subsequent shots, there is detail in the planes. I can edit it in layers and increase the exposure on the planes. I realized after the first overpass that I needed to overexpose relative to what the camera was telling me, since the white sky was being averaged in, but dropping the shutter speed to 1/1600 from 1/4000 made it hard to freeze the planes, I don't think I can track them that well when they are close. Should I change modes on the lens stabilizer if I am trying to track hand-held?
1205007694_WUYJu-XL.jpg

4 crop) I can see the pilot!
1205027597_oJvQ5-XL.jpg

5)
1205007481_TVhZY-XL.jpg

Any advice on how to improve these would be great. I'm working with a an XTI and a 70-300 DO, I left most of my gear at home. I've also got a Sigma 400 APO telemacro here, but I don't think that will help. Most of these I was shooting shorter than 300 anyway.

Thanks for looking (and commenting!).
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.