alessandra - something different for me

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited September 26, 2005 in People
i'm not a fan of doing silly color effects in photoshop because i think it tends to be unprofessional, but while i was editing this shot i made this by accident. i like it, but theres definitely something i don't like about it.

please please please help me out here, tell me if i have something or if it's just trash.

thanks.

37428296-L.jpg

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i'm not a fan of doing silly color effects in photoshop because i think it tends to be unprofessional, but while i was editing this shot i made this by accident. i like it, but theres definitely something i don't like about it.

please please please help me out here, tell me if i have something or if it's just trash.

thanks.
    hmmm.. no, it's not trash at all. I think I would crop the top more, I was distracted a bit by all that lighter sky at the top. I'm not sure about it. I'm like you, there is something I like about it but something I don't.. fat lot of help I am right??? what was the original like.. I'd like to see it.. very nice pose.
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    Silly color effects can be fun! :D And I like the photo too.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    Looks good, but lets see the original. :D
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    binghott wrote:
    i like it, but theres definitely something i don't like about it.

I like the image. I think I did a similar accident once shooting flash with white balance set to tungsten, or something like that. The only things I see "wrong" with the image are the same issues as with a "normal" colored image: It is low contrast and the black point seems to be set way too high, blocking up the shadows. If it were mine, I'd go back to the RAW file and play with the black and white points to see if I could increase the contrast range a bit, although as a night shot the white point's probably close to OK. I see no problem leaving the color the way it is. Other than that I'd crop the sky too.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    Owen wrote:
    Looks good, but lets see the original. :D
    That's what I was thinking. I don't usually like to tint my photos either, but sometimes it can have a good effect, sort of like sepia. How about the edit you were aiming for? Can we compare this mistake with the one done right?

It is a good shot though, perhaps a little dark but the tint can work, I think.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    binghott wrote:

thanks.
    I am thinking, maybe a little bit less blue, more blue-ish white so it looks like a moonlit shot (moonlit as the movie guy's would do). I think it has much potential in that direction.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Nice comp, but I don't care for the blue. I think the color becomes too much of the subject and detracts from your beautiful model. I think she has become lost in the sea of blue.

I would love to see the shot with natural colors if you've done that.

Thanks for the share,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    The yellow sky above the blue just absolutely kills it for me. Id crop just above her head where the sky starts to loose the blue tint. I'm not fond of the tinting other than the more traditional sepia toning and what not. But on the toned photographs I do like the toning is usually pretty universal. Having no blue in the sky draws my attention straight to that. Maybe it's also that blue is typically associated with something more depressing. And although she isn't looking like she just won the lottery. I don't get the depressed feeling from her facial expression that I think would work much better with a blue tinting.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    I am less worried about..
    professional looking, and more concerned with what could be cool. And to tell you the truth, the problem I have with the image is that it has great potential to be surreal with a few more color changes, but right now, just the two tonedness of it leaves it kind of flat looking..

I was thinking that the yellowish/greyish looking sky space should be tinted a blood red. The water behind the model should be a purplish color..and then if possible, bring the platform either back to its original color so it looks like she is sitting on normal cement...or take it even further by coloring the cement a bright yellow.
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    This is...the remix..
    This is just a quick rough and tumble job, but I just wanted to visually give you an idea of what I was thinking of..
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    wow, thank you all so much for your advice, i think i've lost interest in the blue version, but i think i've come to love the original. here's the original, untouched version which i meant to post in my first post, sorry about that.

37435333-L.jpg
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    beautiful lighting, my only nitpick is I wish the horizon didn't cut through her head...
  • teamplayerteamplayer Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Not trash at all. Looks good to me. dramatic effect.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    I played around with it. I like the composition and position of your model, but I didn't like the brightness. You need to see the eyes. If you have an external flash try shooting with it off the camera, slighting beside you or behind you to illuminate your model but not your background, which then preserves the color of the sky but keeps her in the right color.. and since it won't be a direct/headon flash you won't get the washout which is common with shooting at night. :)

bing-vi.jpg
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    Owen wrote:
    I played around with it. I like the composition and position of your model, but I didn't like the brightness. You need to see the eyes. If you have an external flash try shooting with it off the camera, slighting beside you or behind you to illuminate your model but not your background, which then preserves the color of the sky but keeps her in the right color.. and since it won't be a direct/headon flash you won't get the washout which is common with shooting at night. :)
    thanks owen, but i just didn't want to use the flash, especially when i had a nice orange street-light type light right over my shoulder. for some strange reason, i absolutely love that orange light, and i particularly like it here because her skin color matches part of the sky.

for some reason i decided to try running it through smugmug's auto color effect and i think the outcome might be really good:

37642789-L-1.jpg

i like this one because the sky is bluer and the bridge in the background is more visible.