Options

Anyone light the crowd @ Basketball?

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited March 4, 2011 in Sports
I might play a little more on Saturday. It's Sectionals here in Indiana and Saturday night is the Sectional Finals. Next week, Regionals begin....

So, Wednesday I shot a couple of local teams and got a replacement flash in from Canon... Giving me 5 flashes to use. Thankfully I have 6 Cactus V5's so I was all about playing around. I did my standard lighting of basketball, 2 lights on the baseline pointing 45 degrees into the court. However, instead of 1 @ 1/4 power (on each side) which is what was necessary at this gym, I did 2 @ 1/8 power on each side giving me the same power as 1 @ 1/4. My thoughts were speedlights typically seem to recover faster from lower power bursts than more powerful ones. So 1/8 power should be able to recover quicker and 2 @ 1/8 will still give me the same amount of light as one set a 1/4.

On top of that, I placed a 5th light, mid court with a RED gel. Reason being one team I cover is Red & White. Now that I did that though, I almost want to take the lights and point them toward the crowd at the next game. Going to be real low power, say 1/16 or so, but gelled I think it would give an interesting look. This is what it came out like from Wed. Game with the flash behind them:

1204433857_narQy-L.jpg

I did the same thing for the next game, replacing the RED with BLUE (Blue & White school colors...)
1204449472_Cpxch-L.jpg

Thoughts????