• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    Many a service there I am thinking. Always someplace to go when theres
    enough folks about to support spot.
    Michael
  • bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    I like the first one a lot! clap.gif
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Many a service there I am thinking. Always someplace to go when theres
    enough folks about to support spot.

Your probably right about that Michael. People must have come from far and wide to attend this church. While riding around this area, it was obvious that people are very spread-out in this region.

I could spend a lot of time riding/exploring around northern NM.
    Randy
    edited March 5, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    I like the first one a lot! clap.gif

Thanks for the nice comment Brian!
    Randy
  • GrfxMediaGrfxMedia Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    I am partial to #2 with the contrast between the wood and stone surfaces, nice shots.
    edited March 7, 2011
    GrfxMedia wrote: »
    I am partial to #2 with the contrast between the wood and stone surfaces, nice shots.

Thank you for your comments!
    Randy
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    #1 is so good!
    It looks like it was taken with an old film camera.

Great processing clap.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 8, 2011
    #1 is so good!
    It looks like it was taken with an old film camera.

Great processing clap.gif.

Hey Liz,

Hope life is treating you well.

Thanks for the nice comment!
    Randy
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Places like this were everything to people looking for social interaction back in the day.

Even better than the internet...methinks.

Nice posting, Randy. thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Well done, Randy! It does look like the focal point for the community--I am glad it is still standing and you thought to capture it. Now it will always exist! I like #1; the shadow of the side wall and the diagonal of the roof make very nice geometric elements. Were you able to go inside?

Hope all is well with you and your clan--
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 8, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Places like this were everything to people looking for social interaction back in the day.

Even better than the internet...methinks.

Nice posting, Randy. thumb.gif

Thanks for looking and your input Ric!
    Randy
    edited March 8, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Well done, Randy! It does look like the focal point for the community--I am glad it is still standing and you thought to capture it. Now it will always exist! I like #1; the shadow of the side wall and the diagonal of the roof make very nice geometric elements. Were you able to go inside?

Hope all is well with you and your clan--
    Lauren

Hey Lauren,

What was strange about this church, and the 4 dilapidated homes around it, was that it was out in the middle of no-where. I'm talking way out of the way!

That probably used to be very common back in the day, but it's striking to me, given the world we live in now.

Thanks for the comments Lauren!
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Nice photos. I like how you gave them an old look. Fitting for photos like this.

Makes me wonder if this was a church for nuns? Houses for home and church for prayer.

Hard to find those old churches out in the middle of no-where now. Members have either passed on or moved into town. Around here they will save the bell, and bell town and place it on the ground with some kind of marker.

Did you see a cemetery near it?
    edited March 9, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Nice photos. I like how you gave them an old look. Fitting for photos like this.

Makes me wonder if this was a church for nuns? Houses for home and church for prayer.

Hard to find those old churches out in the middle of no-where now. Members have either passed on or moved into town. Around here they will save the bell, and bell town and place it on the ground with some kind of marker.

Did you see a cemetery near it?

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the kind comments, and no, I didn't see a cemetery.
    Randy
    edited March 11, 2011
    Randy, I recently discovered an old church in the Hill Country that is up atop a hill on a dirt road (still today). It is across the road from an 1860s stone farmhouse still in the same family today. THe earliest settler held church in his home until a church building was erected. The church is still in use but is still in the middle of nowhere. I imagine folks driving their pickups to Sunday service, much like their ancestors drove buggies on the same dirt road. Not as interesting a church building as yours since it is still active but has the same "out in the middle of nowhere feel to it." Next time I drive up there I will get some better shots for you.

What part of NM did you find this one in?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Howdy Randy

I find it amazing that places like this in your neck of the woods seem to remain untouched by today's thoughtless passersby. Here the outside would be covered in graffiti, windows broken, and the inside trashed. Nice pair but I really like #2 showing the doors and intact windows.

Be well

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited March 14, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Randy, I recently discovered an old church in the Hill Country that is up atop a hill on a dirt road (still today). It is across the road from an 1860s stone farmhouse still in the same family today. THe earliest settler held church in his home until a church building was erected. The church is still in use but is still in the middle of nowhere. I imagine folks driving their pickups to Sunday service, much like their ancestors drove buggies on the same dirt road. Not as interesting a church building as yours since it is still active but has the same "out in the middle of nowhere feel to it." Next time I drive up there I will get some better shots for you.

What part of NM did you find this one in?

That sounds very interesting Lauren, please do post the pictures when you get up there to take some more. I love old buildings, and old churches have so much history to them, even if we don't know what that was exactly.

I'm not exactly sure of the location, I'd have to look at a map and guess. We were camping in Las Vegas, NM, and taking day rides out of there, just aimlessly meandering/exploring. I can tell you that it was somewhere west of Las Vegas, NM.
    Randy
    edited March 14, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Howdy Randy

I find it amazing that places like this in your neck of the woods seem to remain untouched by today's thoughtless passersby. Here the outside would be covered in graffiti, windows broken, and the inside trashed. Nice pair but I really like #2 showing the doors and intact windows.

Be well

Hey Jack,

This isn't exactly in my "neck of the woods". This was in northern NM, and I live in the D/FW area of Texas.

I have had the opportunity over the last few (16) years to explore Colorado and New Mexico quite a bit, a lot of it on my motorcycle.

For non-motorcycle people, a little explanation is in order. For most, a car/truck is simply a means to get from point A to point B, therefore a somewhat "direct" route is normally used. On a motorcycle, (yes this is cliché'), but it's the journey that's important. The destination is just a place on your journey. That said, on a motorcycle trip, the main goal is just to get as far off of the beaten path(s) as possible and explore America.

Northern New Mexico just keeps pumping out little jewels like this. For my travels, northern NM is quite unique in the remote areas that still exist, and the old buildings seem to have survived quite well, for the most part. It's the climate I guess.

Thanks for looking and commenting Jack thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited March 18, 2011
    Randy, I guess I have a motorcycle heart, as I love to get off on the back roads and roam around. I just do it behind the wheel of a pickup truck! Most of my photographic efforts are geared towards my own ideas about the journey I am on . . . always on! There's a topic for discussion over a beer next time I get up to Ft Worth. Ya'll are welcome here anytime, you know. That includes Tater!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com