More textures practice...1 may be NSFW.

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in People
Still practicing with the textures, I tend to overdo new things until I get the hang of it :wink.

Some pictures from this fall with Cheyanne the dancer and 1 from Takara's bikini shoot at the canyon.

1206511402_eTgdN-O.jpg

1206511467_3GiRj-O.jpg

1206511546_6vTeX-O.jpg

1206509876_owVym-O.jpg

Comments

• Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    Mike,
    I don't know but the dancer shots look flat. The Bikini shoot I've been forbiden from commenting on by Schmoo ;0). But seriously #4 is gorgeous. It is a bit heavy (the texture) in the first three for my taste (which counts for little) but I like three alot.
    Albert
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    Thanks Albert,
    That helps.
    I am trying to find the right mix. Less is probably more with this stuff.
    Stephen Thorne is the photographer that inspired me to finally learn the textures and his work is what I am trying to emulate. Hard to go back and create textures in shots that were not shot/planned that way to begin with.
    For me I think 1 is pretty close, two feels too contrasty and 3 is just plain to much texture, 4 I think is just right....but my eye doesn't always get it right so looking for other opinions. Thanks.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Yeah #4 is good for a lot of reasons:) I do like the processing on it. It is a bit over the top, but I tend to go that way myself. Care to elaborate on your process for adding the texture?
  • Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    The mask seems to be off on these (particularly 1-3). I'd be tempted to try and soften the edge of the mask a bit.
    2 cents from a rank amateur PSer.
    edited March 6, 2011
    When you say over the top do you mean you think the texture is to strong?
    When you say mask is off do you mean the edges are to dark?

I think the whole intent of the texture is to add a framing effect, some people untexture the subject with a brush and some don't. I have been removing the texture, not completely convinced at this point if that is the way to go.
    It also adds an old photo classic look, so generally they look better just a bit washed out.
    Feel free to critique..this is a work in progress for me.
    Here are a couple more.

1207553850_gg3KZ-O.jpg

1207553664_o98ao-O.jpg

1207676553_FwKik-O.jpg
  • Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    In the first post 2nd photo. there is a dark line on her right arm as well as a light line on the left side of her torso. There is also a halo around her hair. I tend to think of them as the subject overlaid on the background.
    Regarding whether or not it's the way to go, I really like your work as it is. I wouldn't fix it if it isn't broke. That being said, of all of the images you've posted with the texture thus far I feel this last one works by far the best. I actually like it. Maybe it's just the content that makes it work. The bathing suit, shorts, topless subject matter may not be the proper use for this type of treatment.
    Again, my 2 cents.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    I think the textures on these are quite appealing though I do spot a few anomalies in #3 on her raised arm and on the other as well. It looks like the texture was brushed away right around the arms and it looks just a little odd.
    I especially love the last one you posted!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Hi Zoomer,

Actually, the texture work is fine. The trick as you know is finding the proper texture for the mood of the shot. Technically, these are good but don't fit the statement of your subject....except the last one....I really like that.

The bareback brunette would look better tilted and cropped (partial body) with possibly a desat/texture rather than all grayscale....just a thought.

Swartzy
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback.
    z61
    Obviously I like these types of content with textures. I am still working on finding textures I like with different types of photos, as with all things photographic it is easy to do textures poorly but it takes practice and experience to get good at it....that is me....practicing and trying to improve.
    reyvee61
    I did experiment with using reduced opacity with the brush so there are a few spots that show from the texture on her skin. Probably need to either go all or none.
    swartzy
    If you have an example of the type of texture you are thinking I would love to see it or steer me to one.
    I have just been using grunge textures, all the other ones I have tried have been to much.

Concensus is that the last shot of the wedding works best. The romantic type wedding shots are naturals for the textures, but I want to expand it into portraits....work in progress.

Appreciate the feedback.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    The last one does it for me. It has a romantic nostalgic feel that really clicks. By the way, cgtextures.com is a great site for free high res textures.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album