Which Nikon body should I rent to research for buying?

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited May 31, 2011 in Cameras
So I'm shooting a small wedding for my friend at the end of the month (last minute as her other photog fell through). I basically quoted her a price to cover my expenses to rent some fun equipment I would need, a couple little goodies I've been wanting (black rapid strap, etc) and for my cost of a BRI fabric hinge mount album to gift her mother.

I'm really wanting to get a new body this year with my tax return money, so I was going to take this opportunity to rent a body to test between the D700 and D300S. (I'm going to keep my D80 as a backup).

For those that have used or own both, which would you recommend? And why? I shoot a lot of portrait and family event type things. The main reason I want to upgrade is I prefer to use natural light as much as possible and want better low light capability. I need to own a second body anyway for some seasonal grad work I do for a company and I've had my eye on upgrading for awhile.

These are the things that I've already factored and am fine with for both bodies.

1. My lens lineup.
2. Price

I'm very interested in finding out what you've personally found with pushing the ISO on both bodies. What makes the D700 worth the extra money (if I don't necessarily need the full frame)?

I'm also going to rent a lens or two. I'm thinking of getting the 85 or 50 1.4, a wide angle and/or the Sigma 50-150. (I have a 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8 and a few others already). I shot with a Tamron 70-200 a few times and was thinking of comparing the Sigma.

Anyone have some thoughts? Suggestions of things I didn't list?

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    For an event as important as a wedding, I'd try to spend as much time getting used to the camera as possible. The camera has to be an extension of you and you should be able to operate it without thinking.

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    I'll have my standard equipment with me for the wedding and will have the body for a few days before to completely familiarize myself with it.
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    I recently rented a D700 myself, and found it to be an amazing camera. While I've never tried a D300s, you mentioned low light capabilities. I'd thinking when looking at low light, you can't go wrong with a full frame.

Not sure if this is a concern or not for you, but "rumor" has it we may actually see a D800 this year. Could just be more talk, but I'm actually going to wait and see. I even read somewhere that availability of the D700 was starting to get a little tight, possibly a sign that they are not being manufactured. Either way, I'm sure you'd fall in love with the D700.

I'm a Canon shooter, and I can't stop thinking about that D700 everytime I pick up my camera!
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Um, a wedding? You *need* the full-frame. Take it from someone who has photographed dozens of weddings on both the D300 and D700. Heck I've also photographed dozens more weddings on the D200 and even D70!

Anyways my point is, get the D700 absolutely. I paid less for my used D700 than I paid for my new D300, so honestly you can't go wrong!!

Don't get me wrong I still love my D300 and I use it professionally all the time. But once I tasted the goodness of FX, I have a very hard time using the D300 any higher than ISO 800 now, even though I used to go comfortably to 3200 back when I first got it. Now seeing what the D700 does at 1600 and 3200, I've just been spoiled I guess. And 6400 makes a great B&W if you can get a bright enough exposure, even in a professional environment...

As far as lenses go, I love an 85 on either camera. The Sigma 50-150 is also one of my favorites, I've owned it since 2006 when it first came out and it has served me very well. I've photographed tons of weddings with an 85 on the D700 and the 50-150 on the D300. (My current favorite 85 is the new Sigma 85, it honestly is the best 85 EVER!) Then, if you have the 24-70, you should be good to go. 24-70 on the D300 / D80 and 85 on the D700, OR in good light 24-70 on the D700 and 50-150 on the D300 / D80... Bases covered. Pick up a cheap used Sigma 50 EX Macro and toss it in the bottom of your bag, if the 24-70 isn't close enough.

The only problem is, a wedding is a SERIOUS undertaking. You can't just rent / buy a really nice camera, you have to know that camera like the back of your hand. If the wedding is at the end of THIS month, you should buy the D700 NOW and use it every single day. I cannot stress enough how important it is to, well, NOT screw up lol. If anything, I would have charged the friend a few hundred bucks EXTRA, and paid an experienced photog to 2nd shoot with you. If this is your first / 2nd etc... Otherwise if you know what you're doing, then just get the D700 ASAP and get acquainted with it! :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    If I were in your Shoes and knowing what I know now AND wanting to compare a DX/Fx camera, I'd be renting the D7000 and the D700.

Both of these go to 25k ISO.

When I did my own at home print for print comparison in low-light/High ISO, I found the glass hung on the end made more difference than the camera it was hung on: D300/D700, of course the former being limited to 6.5k ISO.

Knowing what I know now and have experienced too, I'd rent the D3S, forget the rest, and try to find the money I was going to need to buy it!
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 6, 2011
    As others are telling you, while you could use either camera body to photograph a wedding you would appreciate the D700 for its better low light performance, both in a lower noise footprint at high-ISOs and for a more sensitive AF section in lower light. FF cameras also allow a broader DOF choice for portraiture.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    D700 for sure
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to go with the D700! W00t, W00t!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    D700, no doubt.

I've rarely picked up my D300, D2xs or D200 since I bought my D700. It's just that good. You won't want to give it back.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    D700 and 24-70 and the 70-200 VR II -- heaven!!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    met wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to go with the D700! W00t, W00t!

You will be one happy camper Molly. I shoot with the D3 and the D300. I find that I'm using the D3 for over 2/3rds of my captures.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    I have the D300 and the D700. I know the 300s is probably a much improved camera than its predeccessor, but for me, the 700 is my primary camera now for virtually everything. I like the full frame and like Matt said, I rarely take the 300 over 800ISO anymore and have even put it away at night. The 700 easily goes to 3200 and above.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    One reason for any creative, geeky photographer to keep a D200 or D300 around is for TIME LAPSE photography. I don't care to "burn" the shutter on my D700 unless I absolutely have to. The D200 and D300 have a built-in intervalometer that allow you to take up to 999 consecutive photos, and if you're looking for something new to experiment with, I can highly recommend getting out your tripod and an "old" D200 / D300, and goofing around! It's really fun. See my "goofing" here:

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/Outdoor-Photography/collections/Time-Lapse-Photography (Everything was made on a D200 or D300...)

=Matt=
    edited March 15, 2011
    Oh those look really fun, Matt. The airport one was my favorite. 999 consecutive photos over the course of how much time? I might have to do that someday to set up a camera in a room where all the kids are playing or something.
    edited March 15, 2011
    met wrote: »
    Oh those look really fun, Matt. The airport one was my favorite. 999 consecutive photos over the course of how much time? I might have to do that someday to set up a camera in a room where all the kids are playing or something.
    You set the increment, anything from 1 second to hours / days. Usually, a good starting point for normal outdoor movement (clouds in the sky, airplanes, cars, etc.) is 4-10 seconds.

=Matt=
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    I own a D300s and it is a great camera. But I would not choose it over a d700 for a wedding. All of the Nikon 12mp FX cameras are amazing in low light. They beat the pants off of anything else out there. You will be able to make really nice shots at ISO 4000-6400 with the D700. The D300s stops at about 3200. And at that setting your exposure needs to be spot on. Or the noise just creeps in.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    One reason for any creative, geeky photographer to keep a D200 or D300 around is for TIME LAPSE photography. I don't care to "burn" the shutter on my D700 unless I absolutely have to. The D200 and D300 have a built-in intervalometer that allow you to take up to 999 consecutive photos, and if you're looking for something new to experiment with, I can highly recommend getting out your tripod and an "old" D200 / D300, and goofing around! It's really fun. See my "goofing" here:

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/Outdoor-Photography/collections/Time-Lapse-Photography (Everything was made on a D200 or D300...)

=Matt=

One thing I'm going to try is shooting a movie with the D300 set to 8FPS. Nikon did a commercial with the F5 doing that, so I might give it a shot as well, and not need to burn through 200 rolls of film.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011

=Matt=

Very impressive as always, Matt. I didn't watch them all but I really liked the wedding one. How do you get people to leave the camera alone? Sit by it for a few hours? :D

I think they sell remote controls on fleabay that have intervalometers like that.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Matt, I know this is an old thread, but what software do you use for those time lapses?