Some random landscapes

racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited March 9, 2011 in Landscapes
First time sharing my landscape photos. I am pretty much a newbie to landscape photography, any critique is appreciated.

903520774_JjV3u-L.jpg

1107832277_T9BNF-XL.jpg

707500082_CzTvv-L.jpg

715964078_qhvGn-XL.jpg

707333503_FcpcS-L.jpg

320005650_cC9Ta-XL.jpg
Todd - My Photos

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    So I really like one of your images that you didn't post in this list and that's this one:

http://toddsphotos.smugmug.com/Landscapes-1/Sunsets/14568559_vYDGe#319994414_wsgz6

It's still a little bit flat -- but the scene captured, the lighting that's present, and the mist that's there really come together to make an excellent composition! thumb.gif

In the case of the waterfalls, I'd say they could greatly benefit from better light (by being closer in the day to sunrise or sunset), use of a circular polarizer if you aren't already using one, and not overexposing the water in the falls.

For the last two images that you've posted, the light is (in my opinion) too harsh. I'm also not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in the fall lake picture. I once read that for Fall pictures, convert them to black and white (and/or think in black and white) and if the image works in black and white, then you'll be good! All too often we get caught up in those beautiful colors and tend to not think so much about composition. In the pond with the lilies, I find the log on the left a bit distracting and believe the composition may work better cropping in even more.

I like the drama in images 3 and 4, but they are both underexposed. The situations represented in those images are very difficult to expose correctly (requiring hdr or nd grads at times). Getting the exposure correct when the light is fleeting is quite difficult, but that's part of the fun of photography if you ask me!

Above all, this is a good collection of shots to help catalog where you are at in your photographic journey. Keep shooting and coming here for advice, compliments, and critique! Looking forward to seeing what you post next :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    These are great especially considering you say that you don't shoot landscapes much!

My favorite is the sepia one with those delicious clouds.