Newbie first shots at macro, suggestions?

snakemausnakemau Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited March 9, 2011 in Holy Macro
Well, these are my first shots doing macro. I read some of the post and info here and I think they are not that bad. I could use any suggestions or comments! My set up is a Canon XSi, 100mm macro lens, 430EX II flash with the soda can DIY diffuser. 1:1, ISO 200, 1/200, F11, ETTL no change.

Sexy2.jpg
Porcelain.jpg
Candy.jpg
brain.jpg
Acan.jpg
Sexy.jpg

So what do you think? what should I change? I took these at night, turned the aquarium and room lights off, so all the lighting here is just from the flash.
Your eyes create a temporary memory of what you see, but your camera captures a life time image...just be sure to print it!

Comments

• snakemausnakemau Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    No suggestions at all? Common they can't be that good! Laughing.gif, just kidding. No comments?
    Your eyes create a temporary memory of what you see, but your camera captures a life time image...just be sure to print it!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    THese look good- Not sure if you had over exposure problems with the shrimp or it actually looks like that ?
    Shooting through glass is hard - you need to make sure you keep the lens at right angles to the glass otherwise you get distortion and colour fringing.
    Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 8, 2011
    quite good , they all look a little soft though! no definate focal point.
    are they cropped?
    did you re sharpen after sizing for the web?
  • snakemausnakemau Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Thank you goldenorfe. Yes, well I'm new at this and so they were too big, so I used paint to resize them. Is there any other software that I could use that won't affect the quality of the pictures for resizing or to be able to post them online?
  • blizzblizz Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Picasa, Lightroom

They are good, on the light side. I would do a 'sharpen' also. Taking pics through glass is tough...I'm still working on that one to.
    Great subject to take pics of.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Overall I think they're pretty good so I guess here are the fine points.
    In #1, I don't really like the coral (I guess it's coral?) up in front that's completely blurred out. It's right up there in front and it's competing for my attention with the shrimp.
    #2 has kind of the same thing going on with that rock on the left.
    And #4 I think I'd like to see some sort of background instead of filling the whole frame with that coral. Maybe pan the camera left a little, so only the right side is the coral and get something blue in the background.
    #6, the shrimp is mooning me. How rude of him.