Skeet Shooting

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 13, 2011 in People
My wife and I went Skeet Shooting yesterday. We had a load of fun. My wife had never shot a gun before and it's been 25 years since I shot one. Here are a few photos of the day:

Right before I her first shot. She was really excited:
1207655209_D3XU5-X2.jpg

Learning how to stand and hold the shotgun:
1207656493_S8Fcz-X2.jpg

Shooting at the various stations:

1207655438_XMpui-X2.jpg

1207655922_yJefC-X2.jpg

1207656972_uC2Sn-XL.jpg

1207657689_4wdki-XL.jpg

1207662942_briTU-XL.jpg

My turn to shoot:

1207658468_q8nj5-XL.jpg

1207659875_dpT8S-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Looks like a hoot. Nice shots!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    I just went trap shooting for the first time last week. What a blast! (pun intended).

Good capture with the shell poppin' out :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 8, 2011
    Pardon me for saying, but your wife is such a babe. mwink.gif

So how did she do? Most women I've seen shoot for the first time usually end up shooting better than their guy companion. Happened with me and my wife too. :bluduh
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    These are great, Alex! I always wanted to learn to shoot skeet - my grandmother's husband and his brother set up a range when they retired - but I was out of the country and by the time I moved back here, they'd closed it down.

Looks like you guys had such a great time! (and we just KNOW you're showing off that pretty wife of yours - she's so beautiful!)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    @kdog - she is a babe. Thanks. I wish I could say she did better than I did but she didn't. This was the fist time she had ever held a gun so she did quite well considering. Also, she shot some pretty large 12 gauge shotguns. Poor thing had a bruise on her shoulder the next day. She did manage to hit quite a few targets so she did well.

@diva - we had a blast. You should try it. I bet you'll love it. We want to try pistols next. I'll make sure to post photos when we do.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Dunno about that Alex - my hand/eye coordination is pretty pathetic (those who tried to teach me to play tennis will attest to this - usually they were laughing so hard at my ineptitude they couldn't hit the ball themselves as they were convulsed on the ground.... rolleyes1.gif)
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Nice photos, but not skeet.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Skeet would be coming from both sides vice trap which would be the good ol' one clay running away from you, eh?

I can't see any clays in the pic, just roll with it lol. rolleyes1.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Really cool pics! It looks like you had fun! She must have been tired holding that 12 g. - too heavy for me...I have to use a 20 g.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011

They called it skeet shooting. There were clay discs flying out from different angles. That's what I remember seeing on Beverly Hill Billies and they called it skeet shooting on the show too. ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Poor thing had a bruise on her shoulder the next day.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw your wife (ok it wasn't the first thing, I like everyone else thought 'babe'): I would not recommend shotgun shooting in a tank top Laughing.gif
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    If the birds are launched from a location in front of you and the birds are moving away from you it's called Trap shooting.

If the birds come from multiple locations from different directions is called Skeet.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
    edited March 10, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    If the birds are launched from a location in front of you and the birds are moving away from you it's called Trap shooting.

If the birds come from multiple locations from different directions is called Skeet.

Interesting. Didn't know this so I think we did both. We shot at 6 different "stations" there were some where the "bird" came out just to one side of us and moved away. Then there were other stations where the bird flew from different directions. Some flew somewhat straight up and towards us, others move laterally from one side to the other in opposing directions. Some low, some high. I guess we did both skeet and trap shooting. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
    edited March 10, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    That was the first thing I thought of when I saw your wife (ok it wasn't the first thing, I like everyone else thought 'babe'): I would not recommend shotgun shooting in a tank top Laughing.gif

Well... she started off with a long sleeve shirt (in the last photo) but it got warm pretty quick so she stripped down to the tank top. I prefer her in the tank so I didn't say anything. Pretty selfish of me. mwink.gif I noticed all the range workers and trainers were much nice and attentive to her than me. I guess I can't blame them. I would be too. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
    edited March 10, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    Really cool pics! It looks like you had fun! She must have been tired holding that 12 g. - too heavy for me...I have to use a 20 g.

She's pretty strong but she did get tired. The last two stations she shot a 20g. Honestly, I was kind of fatigued myself on the last station and I opted for a 20g too.

It was the first real time I ever shot a shotgun. I did fairly well but the trainers told me I was really tense. I think that's what tired me out; being tense for 4 hours of shooting wore me out.

My Smug Site
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    If the targets are thrown from a single machine directly in front of you it's trap. If they come from two adjacent towers from side to side, it's skeet. If they are from a single location with 5 different positions and targets coming from multiple machines it called "5 stand". If the targets come from multiple locations and simulate different game animals it "sporting clays. It looks like you were on a sporting clay range.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    That looks like so much fun!